• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Help identifying a 70's Super Reverb

echodeluxe

hey guys, been a while.

anyway, i bought what I thought was a 73 Super reverb in great shape. needed a new reverb pan, which I replaced with a Ruby equivalent, sounds really great. I also installed a solid state rectifier to tighten up the low end, worked wonders.

I pulled the chassis and realized that the master volume is a push-pull, which according to my research wasn't installed until 75 on, correct? he told me he defeated the master volume (it doesnt do anything) but when i pull the knob it, it squeals like hell. upon inspection, it looks like it is wired up, haven't had a chance to compare to a schematic...

also, the rear panel indicates the 45 watt model, but the rear panel look suspiciously new. almost as if it were a repro. I could be losing my mind. to make matters more confusing, this amp has a pretty decent amount of headroom, seemingly more than my Classic 50, which is a similarly powered 50 watt amp. leads me to believe it my be a later 70 watter.

even stranger, the speakers are not offset, and the cab doesnt have tilt back legs or holes where there previously would have been tilt legs and stops. it does, however, have the Fender logo WITH the tail...

so I kinda feel like I have a partscaster of sorts. or not I have no idea really. any help would be appreciated. I cant take photos of the inside later.

heres the only photo I have at the moment:

soldersucker

Not a 73.Check the trannies 606-?? the year in question marks .These are too expensive to change out.I suspect the codes will read 606-76##

echodeluxe

I know it's not a 73. i will check out the trannies when I get home. pots I could see had 76 date codes.

anyone have any definitive power/feature information on the 76 year for the super reverb?

pbmw

I'm thinking 76 or later.
I thought 76 was the year the pull knobs showed up.

echodeluxe

yeah i think so too, but im not entirely sure because info is fragmented all over the net. even the ampwares website doesnt give much info.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
I've seen several silverfaces with push/pull masters that aren't labeled. I freaked one guy out checking his amp. He'd owned the amp for years and never knew it had a pull master. Some of them squeal. It is not a good circuit.

swiveltung

I'm not sure but didn't the 70 watter have a mid control on the normal channel also? You probably have an amp that has been messed with a bit over the years. The push pull pot could have been original or put in as a NFB by pass or all kinds of things. The Logo is not original.
Check your Trannies dates. If they are all close that will tell you.
That amp should have a lot more headroom than a Classic 50 Peavey if that's what you are talking about....

huw

I'm not sure but didn't the 70 watter have a mid control on the normal channel also?...
My '77 didn't. B&T only on the normal channel, BM&T on the vib/reverb channel.

(FWIW I preferred the sound with the fixed mids...)

echodeluxe

I'm not sure but didn't the 70 watter have a mid control on the normal channel also? You probably have an amp that has been messed with a bit over the years. The push pull pot could have been original or put in as a NFB by pass or all kinds of things. The Logo is not original.
Check your Trannies dates. If they are all close that will tell you.
That amp should have a lot more headroom than a Classic 50 Peavey if that's what you are talking about....
you think a 45 watt super reverb should have more headroom than a 50 watt classic 50?

TELECOLLECTOR

Astro Boy - who knew?
Platinum Supporting Member
Is it the last picture in the studio or is the cab abnormally tall for a SR? That might explain speaker placement, tilt-back leg (ommision), etc if it's a repro.

echodeluxe

yeah thats in our studio, its on top of a road case. its so weird, it doesnt seem like a new box but maybe it is?

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
Well? If it sounds good and gives up the goods and the price was right just enjoy it brother despite it's shot comings right? :aok

zenas

A 70 watt ultra linier wouldn't have a tube rectifier and would have the mid pot on the normal channel.

Low headroom on a silverface? Still running original electrolytics?
First thing I'd look at and change.

echodeluxe

Well? If it sounds good and gives up the goods and the price was right just enjoy it brother despite it's shot comings right? :aok
i didnt say i wasnt enjoying it, im just curious if anyone has any insight on its origin.

A 70 watt ultra linier wouldn't have a tube rectifier and would have the mid pot on the normal channel.

Low headroom on a silverface? Still running original electrolytics?
First thing I'd look at and change.
headroom isnt an issue. its got plenty, especially with the drop in SS rectifier i bought. caps are new.

zenas

Well I read the OP wrong. I thought you said it didn't have as much headroom as the Peavey.
Might be time for a trip to the eye doctor.

55GibsonLPJR

The logo looks like early 70s, do you see any orange color in the grill cloth ? Master volume on SF supers started in late 75' I believe and thats when they went to 70 watts.

Trending Topics