HELP identifying a cab with no name (pics)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KLINKDETROIT, Feb 15, 2012.

1. KLINKDETROIT

KLINKDETROIT Member

I bought this cab and can't figure out after countless Internet searches who the manufacturer is. It has peavey Sheffield 1290 speakers at 16 ohms in it. It has no front to back support brace, post. It seems really well built and probably ten to twenty years old is my guess. It has black piping and also black piping running from front to back like racing stripes similar to some marshals. Can you tell me what kind of cabinet this is from the pictures below please?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Well... if it has Peavey drivers in it, one would hazard a guess that it's a Peavey cab.

3. KLINKDETROIT

KLINKDETROIT Member

Lol that was my first assumption. I googled a ton of peavey, carvin, ampeg, Marshall, Mesa, blah blah blah. Every variation of cab, cabinet, speakers etc etc. Trust me this is my last resort.

4. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Definitely looks like a Peavey to me. I had a Triple X 412B for a while that looked similar constructionally, albeit slightly different cosmetically. Hard to say which one as it's hard to see any detail from such small pictures.

5. KLINKDETROIT

KLINKDETROIT Member

I've never seen a cab without a front to back sound post before. This also has a back plate plug that is silver and looks similar to a blank wall plate. It looks too good to be a home made cab and is very siliar in shape to my splawn 4x12. The casters are not the pop in type but permanently screwed on. The black piping racing stripes are another unusual touch I haven't seen before like that.

6. stetyrrell

stetyrrell Member

Looks like a Peavey XXX cab to me, they used the Sheffield speakers and had a similar grill

7. KLINKDETROIT

KLINKDETROIT Member

The xxx doesn't have the racing stripe black piping or the same back plate. I'm sure this cab is too old and the xxx probably has the middle support. My cab has smooth plastic handles that have a similar look to a marshall.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Perhaps email Peavey w/ a pic?
    It may date back to their VTM/Butcher head years...

9. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

My first thought was peavey, even before reading. And having the sheffields is a good way of telling. Unless they were installed later of course. I always swap my speakers so it's not uncommon and you can't rely solely on that. Does it look like the wiring is original? Soldered to the plugs and Jack? You can also look for screw holes where the logo would have been on the front and check them against some older peavey logos.

The piping is what is throwing me off.

10. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

The more I look at it, the more Im thinking that it was made by a small manufacturer instead of it being a big dog company like peavey or ampeg. Which were my two guesses. The Jack plate seems like it is very simple and kinda 'hardware store-ish' .unless that was a replacement.

Any pics of the inside?

11. KLINKDETROIT

KLINKDETROIT Member

I agree. I even looked at sonic cabs but nope. The speakers were soldered in and all the bolts holding the speakers in are very large and look the same as the ones holding the speaker together, at least the screw heads look the same. I would think the ones holding the body together are pointed wood type screws instead of the machine screws used to hold the speakers in. The speaker bolts barely fit thru the mounting holes of the Sheffield 1290 speakers.

12. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

That grill cloth looks like early 80s Crate or Peavey.

13. KLINKDETROIT

KLINKDETROIT Member

Here it is next to my splawn cab

[​IMG]

14. KLINKDETROIT

KLINKDETROIT Member

15. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

What're the materials? Plywood? MDF? Both? Probably would be good to take some photos of the guts... Maybe some better shots of the metal corners... and someone could have changed the piping...

16. KLINKDETROIT

KLINKDETROIT Member

Yeah I had my buddy from motor city pickups, who is very knowledgeable about these things, look at it and he said the piping racing stripe looks like screen material that keeps a screened porch taught lol. It is plywood with no mdf. The internal screws have large heads and are steel. No sound post. Looks like the front or back corners were replaced. The front are plastic like a marshall and the rear are metal and smaller. I will take more pics.

17. KLINKDETROIT

KLINKDETROIT Member

18. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

It's definatly not a Peavey of any sort, or Randall or Marshall.
    Looks home made to me.
    If it was front loaded, there would be other possibilitys.
    Looks like a nicely made cab, hope you got it cheap.
    Enjoy it!:D

19. KLINKDETROIT

KLINKDETROIT Member

A good deal but still bugs me not knowing lol

20. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

That's regular yellow pine ply, kind'a looks home made but if it looks good on the outside and sounds good who cares.