Help identifying NOS preamp tube

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Björn S, May 22, 2019.

1. Björn S

Björn S Member

Hello. This was found in my Two-Rock CRSv2, it is balanced, measured 7 or 8 on the tube tester. Old Yugoslavian? I don't know NOS stuff, so experts, please chime in!

It looks like 2A (T or I, the top is missing of that character) and the line below it is that horseshoe symbol with a dot followed by what looks like 8F

There's also a mark inside the tube.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video:

Cheers! :)

2. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

Ei, Yugoslavia. If I've got it wrong, someone more knowledgable will surely shed some light.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page for Philips factory codes. Your tube also has flat plates and a distinctive pinch in the glass at the base, which seems peculiar to Ei.

Timbre Wolf and Björn S like this.
  3. Björn S

Björn S Member

Thanks for chiming in! That's the site where I found the first gold symbol, and learned that it might be Yugoslavian, but the rest of it makes no sense to me. I don't understand how to decode it. :(

4. skytrench

skytrench Member

I find the EI 12ax7 to sound good in many situations, they can be quite strong like Sylvanias and can sound great both clean and distorting. They were the last 'old school' tubes made and still somewhat available NOS. Many years after the other end-game producers like GE, Sylvania, Tungsram and Mullard ceased tube operations, Ei was still making 12ax7s. Worth keeping the good ones.

Björn S likes this.
  5. Björn S

Björn S Member

Thank you for the information! Is it possible to estimate how old it is? I think I will put it as V1 in the Two-Rock when I get the NOS JAN Philips 6L6WGB pair I ordered.

6. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Yes

Björn S likes this.
  7. skytrench

skytrench Member

8F datecode, indicates a year ending with 8, maybe 1988, F=June.
    If you would want to buy some NOS Eis, then the big name relabels are a good bet (RCA, Siemens, Philips) as the tubes should meet the specifications.

Björn S likes this.
  8. Björn S

Björn S Member

Thank you so much!