• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help Identifying Possible Euro NOS El-84

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
View media item 49866View media item 49867View media item 49868View media item 49869View media item 49870
Can someone help me identify these EL-84 tubes? They're supposed to be some sort of NOS set with low hours (possibly a European if I remember) that I got a few years ago with an amp I bought. I just found them looking for some 5751 tubes.

I have no packaging and no writing is on the tube other than the number 2 stamped on the bottom of only 1.

Maybe @Timbre Wolf coukd lend his expertise.

I just want to know what they are before I use them. Even if they did come with an amp I bought (came separate from the buyer to use- not in the amp).

Thanks in advanced!

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
Yep, Tungsrams!
Mike- Just read on your site about modern amps and NOS EL84 wiring issues.

Is this an issue with Canrmen Ghias that you know of?

Also what would gen another EL84 that would work well specifically with the Carmen Ghia? It's certainly an amp where any of the tube location changes make huge difference.

Blue Strat

Mike- Just read on your site about modern amps and NOS EL84 wiring issues.

Is this an issue with Canrmen Ghias that you know of?

Also what would gen another EL84 that would work well specifically with the Carmen Ghia? It's certainly an amp where any of the tube location changes make huge difference.
I think all the Dr Zs are safe. Contact Dr Z to confirm if the amp isn't on my list of "safe" amps.

As always, it's all about personal preference. Also check reviews on the NOS Russian 6N14N-EPs and EBs which don't have the pin 1 conflict issue and will work in ANY EL84 amp.

Last edited:

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
I think all the Dr Zs are safe. Contact Dr Z to confirm if the amp isn't on my list of "safe" amps.

As always, it's all about personal preference. Also check reviews on the NOS Russian 6N14N-EPs and EBs which don't have the pin 1 conflict issue and will work in ANY EL84 amp.
Awesome, thanks. And funny- I was just chekcing out the 6N14N-EP and EB's. Hats the differences between the EP and EB?

Timbre Wolf

>thermionic<
Platinum Supporting Member
You sir, are the man. I knew either you or @Blue Strat would know.

Thanks to all!
Thanks. Either of us could have helped you, for certain. It's easy to i.d. those Tungsram - if not by the little metal numbered tag on the getter wire support, then by the unique double-hole plates with metal deposits surrounding them.
- Thom

sickboy79

Thanks. Either of us could have helped you, for certain. It's easy to i.d. those Tungsram - if not by the little metal numbered tag on the getter wire support, then by the unique double-hole plates with metal deposits surrounding them.
- Thom
They also have a unique getter flashing on the sides of the bottles. I've never seen that on any other EL84 myself.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
N.O.S.? Low hours? They're either N.O.S. (never sold, never used) or they are used. Sorry, but they can't be both.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom