Help identifying speakers.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ManhattanBlue, Jun 2, 2015.

1. ManhattanBlue

ManhattanBlue Member

Hi!
    I'm trying to identify some speakers i have in a custom made cab i recently bought (2nd hand) but i'm having a hard time doing it. (i'm trying to keep them in the box as it's a bit hard to disassemble them withouth screwing the box and the manufacturer closed some years ago.The cabs were handmade)

The further i've gone is identifying them as Beyma Speakers, and the model which looks closer is the P1000ND . I know they are 12" but the P1000Nd doesn't look exactly like these...

They come in a 4x12" cabinet for guitar and it handles up to 300w at 8Ohm.

If someone could have some tips so i don't have to go all the way and take them off the cab i would really appreciate it. My other option is contacting beyma and see if they can help.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. zenas

zenas Member

Speakers all look pretty much alike from the front.
    You're going to have to pull one and get the codes off it.

ManhattanBlue likes this.
  3. ManhattanBlue

ManhattanBlue Member

Yep, i'm afraid i'll have to do that...

4. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I don't know, but the cones/dustcaps/surounds look Celestion-y. Pull one speaker out and poke your head in there to see what's up. An easier way to look inside is if there is a side mounted cup handle (like on Marshalls)-remove that to see what's in there.

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

The only way to tell is to pull them. They could be almost anything.

6. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Except Beyma, and specially P1000ND which are 18" and 1000W each ;)

No mystery with disassembly, just pull all 4 (or 8) screws from any of them (be careful not to go through the cone with the screwdriver) , gently pry it forward with a flat screwdriver blade (and that only because after many years it might be slightly stuck to the cabinet front covering) and pull it out, careful not to tear the cables which are connected to it.

Don't worry, they should come out at least 15 cm, probably up to 30 cm which will let you fully invert them face down against the baffle front.

Pull your trusty camera and fire away, at least a couple from 50cm or 1 meter away to show the frame and magnet and clean readable closeups of any label or stamp .

Yes, those cones look like what Celestion uses ... or Eminence, Laney, Peavey Sheffield and a ton others.

Only back pictures will tell.

7. damian1

damian1 Member

Probably not celestion with the 8 holes no?

8. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

You are right, Celestions are 4 holers, so this discards them.
    Eminence are 8 holers.

[​IMG]

Of course, we still need those back pictures ;)

9. ManhattanBlue

ManhattanBlue Member

Hi guys, sorry for the delay. The thing that made me bet for the beymas is the cone center, which is pretty big , and the number of screws around the cone. Also, i found some info on a similar cab being sold and the guy stated they were beymas.
    I'll have to take one cone off as the cab is one piece (and damn heavy) and except for the cone holders there's no other way to access to the guts...
    I'll try and do it and will keep you posted to solve the mistery :D

10. schmidlin

schmidlin Member

11. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

If this is a guessing game , what's the prize? ;)

Seriously, only pulling one and looking can tell.

FWIW I make speakers and my frames are 8 holers, which I can assemble as such or as 4 holers, it just depends on the gasket I buy.
    Dustcaps can be bought in any diameter, there's a lot of 8 rib cones available (even heavy woofer type), and you can buy edge doping by the liter or any size you want.

The point being that anybody can make a speaker which looks exactly like that one.

slider313 likes this.
  12. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Many of Celestions newer offerings come with 8 holes. My Creamback does

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

J M Fahey likes this.
  13. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Or you might check cone radiation with a Geiger counter or shine polarized light on the cone at 45 deg angle and measure plane twisting or weigh the cabinet in a Lab precision scale, substract cabinet weight, divide by 4 and find individual speaker weight or ............. you might just unbolt the speaker and take a look !!!!

;) ;) ;)

14. RussB

Blasphemy!

15. RussB

Count the rings, you tell how old it is that way

J M Fahey likes this.
  16. ManhattanBlue

ManhattanBlue Member

Guys!
    Finally made it and took one of the speakers off. Not a beyma, not a celestion, neither an eminence.... but Fanes.
    They are Fanes Axiom 12.

[​IMG]

17. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Wow!!!!!!
    You hit the jackpot !!!!!!!
    Now THAT's what I call a serious speaker, no kidding.
    Congratulations :)

Well, you were quite accurate here, it's from 1975 and it shows 8 rings ... pretty close ;)

18. ManhattanBlue

ManhattanBlue Member

Thanks. I knew the speakers had to be "at least not bad", as the cab was handmade and the price they used to sell it for was around 1k, but is it such a good speaker? I have found info on the new axa12 and some reviews telling the ferrite ones (which seem to be these ones) were not that cool.

Could you give me some info about them?

The stick seems to be of a company here that sells/repairs vintage stuff, and i'm not quite sure it's been rewinded or not (the name of the company translated means "Rewind") . Would that be a big deal?

19. schmidlin

schmidlin Member

Are you wondering if they are re-coned? The sticker would suggest that, but the date code(s) suggest otherwise.
    Honestly, I have no idea how modern Fanes are doing these days, so I guess you will have to just see if you like them or not.

20. ManhattanBlue

ManhattanBlue Member

I'm not sure if they've been repaired or the sticker is just there because they bought it from that shop. Absolutely no idea about that.

I totally love them, they are connected to a matching handmade amp head based on a vintage bassman and together they're the best piece of gear i've ever owned. Absolutely zero complains about that, and i'm very picky about gear. Just wanted to know if that would be something to be careful with. I have absolutely no idea about what i have in my hands (i bought it because i was completely blown away with the sound while playing and i was getting it really cheap) as the guy who sold it to me had no clue about it either. So also, no idea about date coding and so (aside from the date on the back of the cone)