Help identifying these tubes

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by boyce89976, Jan 17, 2015.

1. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

Was at Carter's Vintage Guitars today (killer store if you're ever in Nashville) and while there, I remembered that I have an old ADA MP1 preamp in my music room that I haven't used in years. I opened it up, and found these tubes inside. From what I can find on the internet, they are likely Ei manufactured with examples on Ebay going for $99 each! I'm thinking about putting them in my HC30 to see how they sound, but thought I'd better ask the brain trust first.

What do you guys think?

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. mscotts

mscotts What?! Silver Supporting Member

I have a couple of Ei manufactured National branded 12ax7a tubes that look
    like those- I like 'em alot! They sound great to my ears in my Marshall style
    amps. Come to think of it, I also have an old ADA MP-1 laying around somewhere.....

3. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

^Nice! The tubes were tough to remove after all these years, and due to the cramped space in the ADA.

I've done some more reading, and it appears they may be an Ei copy of the Telefunken 12ax7. If true, that could be sweet. Unfortunately, I've already packed up my amp for church tomorrow, but will try them tomorrow afternoon for sure.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yes, EIs for sure.

Nice tubes but they have a strong tendency to be microphonic. Be sure to test them at home before trying them at a gig. ;)