Help! Is my '69 Tele Blonde or Olympic White?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ruby7829, Feb 19, 2012.

1. ruby7829

ruby7829 Supporting Member

I've had my all original '69 tele nearly 8 years now and it just smokes. I've always thought it was the standard blonde finish. Lately been reading about the custom colour Olympic White which looks blonde when it ages, but the giveaway is under the pickguard, which is usually still pretty white. Sure enough, took off my tele's pickguard for the first time in years and it actually looks pretty light coloured underneath.

Anyway, just wondering what you guys think, is it blonde or Olympic White? Don't really care either way, I'm just curious and would like some expert opinions.

Here are some pics to help tell the tale.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. mjm59

mjm59 Member

I think that is blonde, compared to my '66 Oly white Strat, which actually turned yellow, not yellowish.

Edit:
    Forgive my quick judgement, I just noticed that you shot the pictures with the pickguard off, I thought you had a white pickguard there..... could be Oly white that you have.

3. rusted

rusted Member

It's very simple. If you can see any grain whatsoever through the finish, it's blond. If the finish is totally opaque, it's olympic white.

4. ruby7829

Thanks for the tip on the finish Rusted. There's absolutely no grain visible. It's totally opaque. So maybe it isn't blonde after all.

5. rusted

rusted Member

You're welcome. It looks olympic white in the pics. If there's no grain at all, that's what it is.

6. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

rusted is correct IMO

these are both "Olympic White" as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. omfg51

omfg51 Member

8. ruby7829

I agree with you about Danocaster's pics, they are stellar! If I ever sell my tele Dano, I have to send it to you to photograph. And you're quite the tele authority so I'll assume it's likely Olympic White.

Btw, does ayone know if Olympic white was a custom color or just a less common standard color? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

9. rusted

rusted Member

It was a custom color before 1972. Beginning with model year 1972 it was a standard color.

10. pbmw

pbmw Member

I think Oly white too.
    Looks like my 67.
    I also 100% agree that if you cna see any grain, it's a blond

11. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

Yep.. looking at your pics and with the statement on no grain visable.. oly white..

12. mjm59

mjm59 Member

Yeah, that Thinline that Danocaster posted looks just like my '66 (those are both gorgeous, by the way). Glad you got a nice Tele.