Help, Is My Boss Oc3 Broken?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by b80, May 18, 2015.

1. b80

b80 Member

Ok, I now have a Boss OC3. I am wondering if mine is broken or this is a user error of some kind. I am attempting to have only the octave down sound, on the first two strings, in poly mode. The pedal is so quiet I have to turn my amp way up to compensate. It does not sound the way it does in gear demo videos. For reference, the setting on the pedal are:

Direct Level: 0
    Octave 1 Level: Max
    Octave 2 Level: Around 10 o'clock
    Mode: Poly

When I max the Octave 2 in poly mode it gives me a great octave down sound on all strings at normal volume. But I bought this pedal specifically for the poly mode, which doesn't seem to work. It seems that the Octave 2 control is only acting as a volume knob. Does anyone else have issues with this? Is my pedal defective? Thanks for your time!

2. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

I'm not sure why you would need to use the poly mode, if you're turning the direct level all the way down. Just only play the bottom two strings, in the non-poly mode.

FWIW, I always use the second output to send the effected signal to a bass amp. No problems here with these settings

Direct Level: Noonish
    Octave 1 Level: Noonish
    Octave 2 Level: Around 10 o'clock
    Mode: Poly

3. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

In poly mode, oct 2 acts as a range knob for which notes are effected (if I'm remembering correctly). Turning oct 2/range to max allows all notes to track in poly mode. Check the manual to be sure, but that's how i remember it

4. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

Yep about 10 o'clock effects the Low E and A strings only

5. b80

b80 Member

I need to use Poly because I'm splitting my signal between a bass and guitar amp. So I'm playing full chords on my guitar. It seems my pedal is indeed defective. Having the oct 2 at 10 does only affect the low E and A strings, but the volume is extremely low.

6. aodanc

aodanc Member

I have the exact same low output problem from the OC-3. I have an extra pickup on my guitar just under the bottom E string. This pickup is going to my OC-3 with the same poly settings you mentioned. I've been having to tell the soundman at venues to boost my OC-3 signal to the max on the desk which is very annoying. A friend of mine who also uses the same setup went to the trouble of buying an LR Baggs session DI specifically to boost the signal from the OC-3.. I'm thinking of doing the same maybe with the GEB-7 bass equaliser, unless there's a cheaper suggestion to resolved the problem from anybody here?