Help! I've got GAS (Fuzz Factory version)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by michael patrick, Jan 17, 2006.

1. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Please, I'm begging you.... Can someone talk me out of pulling the trigger on a Fuzz Factory? I'm a sucker for the trick fuzzes, I don't know how I've managed to make it this far without ever owning a Fuzz Factory.

But I've recently bought a Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble, an Analogman Sundial, and a KR Doubler. Yes, it's a sickness.....:(

2. onemind

onemind Member

Michael,

I was going to try and talk you out of buying the Fuzz Factory by telling you it's really weird, there are tons more, offbeat, downright alien tones in there than there are just plain musical usable fuzz tones, but from reading your post again this might just have the opposite effect

3. michael patrick

Aaarrggghhh!!!!

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

yep, stay away from it, it's hamrful.

instead get the Fuzz Probe, it's weirder!!

5. drolling

drolling Member

Well, I don't know if this'll help, but I have heard that it can be difficult to get a *normal* fuzz tone out of it.

But I've been interested in that one for a long time. Moreso now that he's got a 'budget' version out.

Sorry. Guess I can't help either...

6. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

http://www.tonefrenzy.com/effects/zvex_fuzz_factory.html

this, IMHO, is one of the best descriptions online of the Fuzz Factory (except zvex.com, of course), and the clip is long and contains different settings, so you have an idea

i've bever played any other fuzz, but judging from the music i listen (garage 60s, 70srock...), there are classic fuzz tones in this box although it has is own sound

7. devbro

devbro Member

How about it's butt ugly:eek:

8. drolling

drolling Member

Holy crap!?! Cool clip..Who's the player?

9. michael patrick

10. drolling

drolling Member

That's OK Michael. Thanks to this thread, I'm about THIS far from pulling the trigger on one of these myself..

Normally I like my fuzz to be a bit more polite, but crackling & sputtering's sounding good today..

I've decided to stop hoarding overdrives, but I haven't bought a fuzzbox since last year (like 3 weeks ago..) Could you tell me a bit about your other 'trick' fuzzes?

11. michael patrick

I've got an MXR Blue Box it does fuzz at the note you play, plus one AND two octaves below the note you are playing. The bottom ocatve doesn't track real well, it cuts in and out at random. Which is what makes it a cool pedal. It also doesn't track chords at all, it gets kinda sputtery. Which is what makes it a cool pedal.

Then there's the Effector 13 Disaster Fuzz. It self oscillates, and you can tune the note it oscillates at and play solos over it. Or you can play melodies with the oscillation by turning the knob. Sort of. It is kinda random in its action, which of course is what makes it a cool pedal. Oh yeah, you can use it as a fuzz too, although it is not a very smooth fuzz even at its weakest settings.

12. drolling

drolling Member

Thanks Michael - Disaster fuzz sounds very cool & I actually had one of those blue MXRs back in the 70s. Just today I discovered my new fuzz (blackbox UV2) can be coaxed into spitting out octave below notes, but only on the high E & B strings, and only above the 12th fret - like an octavia, except lower instead of higher. Damn thing's got 6 knobs and never sounds the same way twice..

..that vexter FF's looking better and better to me...

13. improv4

improv4 Member

The FF gets better and the better the more you use it...so many great sounds.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Well, if you want wierd fuzzes... The Korg PME40x has a fuzz module that has separate sliders for 1, 1.5, and 2 octaves down and one octave up, combined with individual fuzz levels for each, a noise gate and an overall volume slider, plus a separate module that turns a sine wave into a triangle or square wave. It's not chaotic in the sense of the FF, but it'll mangle your sound pretty good.

I kept a FF, but it's not my favorite just because it is SOOOO hard to get the same sound twice in a row...

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

michael, you have the disaster fuz or the Truly beautiful D ?

16. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I tired a FF three times before I finally connected with it and it has become one of the few truly keeper pedals I own. The things is, and this is not discussed much, it is REALLY interactive with your guitar's volume and tone. I think most people (at least me) try it with the guitar vol and tone full up.

The FF itself has a LOT of different sounds as everyone says and in and of itself is very interactive. Once you start trying different pickups, volume/tone settings on the guitar you start to find all sorts of other, more "normal" sounds. Neck p/u, vol rolled back a little, tone almost all the way off gives a nice semi-overdrive sound. The FF adds a LOT of harmonics and like with many synth "wavesapers" likes to see signals that are less harmonically rich in order to get more "manageable" sound.

It truly is a "fun" box and one that offers much if you want to experiment. In a live situation I think you likely need to find a good "basic" setting to work from as I cannot see futzing with it during a gig.

You really can get weird to normal and it really DOES take some time to see how things interact. I HATED it the first time I tried it...truly. Now I love it and get those ripped velcro, gated, buzzing beez sound to some singing leads. The Vexter at $165 is a very good buy. Wish he'd make a few other pedals as lower priced vexters (Lo-fi, Octane 3, etc)

Hope this helps and just my take on things...

17. michael patrick

Just the plain old Disaster Fuzz....