Help! I've got Mesa Boogie Mark 2c+ Gas

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bikerdude2, Apr 15, 2008.

1. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

I recently picked up a Zinky MOFO combo, and while not as good sounding as my Bogner's red channel, it is pretty close in tone and feel. I've been toying with the idea of selling my Bogner rig, and paying some bills, but then I see a IIc+ in the emporium...and start reading reviews, and you-tube....Damn internet!:BITCH Can some of you lucky owners tell me how bad I would hate to own one?

2. randall g

randall g Member

Get a used Mark III simul class, and send it to Boogie for the "C+" mod. Of course, the originals will have a special something, but that way is cool also.

3. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

Once you own one and keep trying every other amp you will go back and play your Boogie and wonder why you keep trying.

Still my favorite amp. Two perfect channels.
    What speaker is in that combo? The photos in the link look like the 150 watt Mesa Black Shadow. Good speaker if it is.

Amp sounds great with a Mesa 2x12 Recto cab believe it or not. Great match. I also have a couple of Boogie 4x12 half backs and one has 4 EVM 12L's. What a sound!

The amp itself is smooth and aggressive, the best of what the Mk IV and III have.

4. bosstone

bosstone Member

All you need is the MKIII red stripe. You may or may not prefer the Simul Class to a 60 watter of the 60/100 watter. I have had 2 MKIIC+s. One was a 60/100 watt, the other a Simul Class. Both are great.

5. Dendog

Dendog Member

The Mark III's and the IIc's combos have a problem with chasis resonance causing distortion. Play an E5 at the seventh fret and let it sustain for a few seconds, and you will hear noise that can best be described as a crackling sound, like something is shorting out. I bought one of these new in 1984. I brought it back to the store where I bought it and demonstrated it for everyone. I tried every Boogie in the store and they all did this. I contacted Boogie and in about 5 seconds they offered to send me a brand new loaded Theil 1-12" cab. Separating the chasis from the speaker did eliminate the noise. I always wondered if they ever solved the problem though.

6. blueswah

blueswah Silver Supporting Member

Interesting I'll have to try that!
    Never noticed it over the past 22 years!

C+ yes and yes again but they can be expensive. Still it's the best sounding amp I've ever used. If you can afford it get one you'll never look back!
    Mk III's are cheaper but way more edgy in the lead channel. IIC+ is butter in lead channel. Even the C+ clean channel is amazing. They are very special amps.
    (Fwiw I currently own both a MkIII and MkIIC+ - have had the MkIII for 22 years - the IIC+ blows it away!)

7. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

I've owned the IIc+ as well as the black, red, and blue stripe Mark IIIs.

I much prefer the Mark IIIs. In particular, the red stripe is my favorite.

8. bosstone

bosstone Member

Crackling sounds can come from, speakers, tubes or loose connections and are easy to isolate and repair. I have never had this type of problem in any of my 4 Mark series amps and have never heard of it being a problem.

9. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Mesa? Dude you have a Bogner! Go look in the mirror and repeat, "I have a Bogner, I have excellent gear!" Okay let the flames fly because here we go. Mesas clean tone is not that happening. DULL, uninspiring clean tone, and if you think Mesa's clean tone is stellar, then I suggest going out and playing a Fender Custom '64 Vibroverb, a Kingsley, a Bogner Shiva, a Carr anything, a Dr. Z Maz Jr. or one of the gazillion choices you have in 2008. I've had 6 Mesa Boogies, including a Mark III Simulclass...would I go back to one? No way! They were state of the art in 1988, but thank goodness there are amps out there like the Shiva, that give you an excellent clean tone and a good drive channel. I loved my 1983 Mustang GT 5.0 that I bought brand new, but if I got in that car today, I would seriously laugh! The cheap looking guages, the uncomfortable seats, the wobbly suspension, the pull boost...oh, sorry, that's the Mesa! Nostalgia is fun to a point, but baby, times have changed for the better in the amp world.

10. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

As you can already see, you are going to get mixed opinions because everyone hears differently. I have been playing mesa boogie Mark series amplifiers since the 80's and I have owned a IIC+ and I currently own a MKIII coliseum head and a MKIV. With that said, the MKIIC+ is a fantastic sounding amplifier and in my humble opinion it is a truly amazing amplifier that is legendary.
    Now here is my opinion and although some will disagree I am able to get my MKIII to sound extremely close if not exactly like my old MKIIC+ so much so that I sold the IIC+ because of the prices that they are getting.
    Anyone who knows me can tell you that I am a die-hard Mesa Mark series and I would not have sold my MKIIC+ if I could not replicate the tone. The only reason why I am telling you this is because a good loaded MKIII can be made to sound like a IIC+ and it can save you money. If you can get a IIC+ for a deal then by all means go for it but don't overlook the MKIII.

As far as Mcuguitars post, Well we will have to agree to disagree. It's great that he has so much enthusiasm for other types of amps but that does not render the Mark series useless or obsolete. It just means that he likes a different tone and that he shares a difference in opinion.

11. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

It all depends on what you're looking for. You will get nowhere the gain out of Shiva that you could get out of the Mark III. I can also get a killer sparkling clean tone out of my Mark III Boogie with NO compromises on the lead channel side.

People made the same arguments on 60s Fender amps when Mesa was the only "boutique" name in town (that the Fenders were outdated, etc...). Nobody is making any claims about nostalgia--just focused on what sounds best.

Look at Todd Duane's videos on YouTube (under Treetopper). He has a new Mark IIc+ video up there with all of his Elmwood, Wizard, Bogner, Cameron Marshall, etc clips. And he is currently gigging the Mark IIc+...not those other amps.

12. 2555SL

2555SL Member

That's all nice and good, and I know from previous posts that you're not a Mesa fan, but I knew this guy in San Pedro, California. Forget his name now, Wayne maybe? Anyway, he had a small recording studio and one of the first Bogner Ecstasies made. In fact, his Ecstasy was SOOO early (white back panel, etc.) that when he went to Bogner one day (circa '99) to ask about a Shiva, Bogner asked him if they could buy back his Ecstasy... and yes, he sold it back to Bogner and picked up the Shiva.

Anyway, the point of all this is that when I played through his Bogner I was NOT impressed. My MkIII breaths fire in comparison...and the cleans are wonderful.

Btw, I agree with gainfreak, a good, well-equiped MkIII can be made to sound just like a IIC+. My simul blue stripe has a BIG international trans, verb, and e.q., and is just a cookin' amp. Wonderful.

13. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

I gigged with a pair of Mark IIC+'s for about 10 years. Fantastic amps. Zero issues, fed them new tubes about once a year. The only downside to them was their weight - the hardwood combos are super heavy, especially w/ EV's in them.

14. 2555SL

2555SL Member

15. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Get a head. Most complaints about Mark Boogies seem to realte to combos.
    I have a IIC+ head that, yes, I bought cos I'm a Metallica fanboy, and I'm mighty glad I did.
    I run it though a nice H&K quad with well broken in greenbacks and it sounds like heaven, OK, make that hell on a motorbike, more fun than an R1 with the throttle wide open, at all volumes, I haven't bothered overly wiht the clean channel, cos I didn't buy it for that.
    It has an amazing lead channel that can't be tone-sucked by the worst tone-sucking pedal and grind like hitting the bitumen face first at 100mph.

16. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

I love my IIC+ and I was trying to get this one!:crazy But my Wizard is my best live amp. The Elmwood is great too. Looking foir an M60 too.:NUTS

17. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

My Boogie simulclass/EQ MkIII blue label rocks and is one of the good ones built like a tank and has "the tone". I just picked up a used dead mint condition Traynor Custom Valve 20 YCV-20II w/channel switching & Reverb for smaller rooms for $350. It's a great little touch responsive 18 watt class A with a 12" Celestion w/ great tone and decent headroom I like alot more than my Blues Jr. Nice looking amp too.

18. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Go play a MKIV, that will help with the gas.

19. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

Well the OP has an XTC101b, an amp with just usable cleans. And I've tried most of those amps you mentioned, (Carr Mercury Saturday), and a slew of others. IMHO the Mk IIc+clean tones are stellar and very special indeed. I personally think the Mesa LSC is made to emulate those tones and we all know the LSC cleans are very inspiring and beautiful.

The lead channel can take you from Jazz to Metal effortlessly. Smooth and aggressive at once. A very unique and timeless amp indeed.

State of the art in 1988(actually 1984 IIc+) is what, bad, but you compare it to clean tones derived from the '60's. Nostalgia? PTP, simple circuits, non master volumes. Now that's nostalgia. But it's good too.

20. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

I'm in upstate NY, and selling mine. Just come play it and decide with your own ears.