1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!! Low-budget flying v advice!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by silvertone1481, May 22, 2011.

1. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

OK, let me start off by saying that I'm a huge fan of UFO, whose guitar player in the 70's (their most popular period) was michael Schenker, and he always used Flying V's. My dad has 3 Flying V's, two from 79's (player's guitars, not collectors' items) and a gloss `04 that he wants to sell. I use the sunburst `79 a lot, but I'm a clutz and I'm afraid of damaging his vintage axe. :facepalm SO....I want my own Flying V. The 70's ones have no neck angle, and the neck sticks out of the body a little, unlike how the modern ones or 50's style ones where the neck is angled and the fretboard is flush w/ the body. I'm so used to the vintage 70's ones' feel, so the new ones feel weird. And I don't like the necks.....I've not gotten to play a faded one (my Guitar Center doesn't have 'em....). The 50's style shoulders are weird-looking to me, so I pretty much have ruled those out. Any advice?

Remember:
    :worthless

2. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

If you're locked into Gibson, then you may have to suck it up and dig out a good '70's V.

If another brand is an option, check out the Carvin Ultra V: http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=ultrav

[​IMG]

The Ultra V's have 24-fret 25" scale neck-through construction. No shoulder or neck heel clunkiness.

My favorite V is from the '70's, a "hippie sandwich" from Moonstone (also a neck-through, also 24-fret):

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Have you tried the Reverend Volcano? It has received great reviews.

[​IMG]

4. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

I like the Carvins and the Reverends a lot. Dean also has some really cool budget Vs along with the coolest headstock ever.

5. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

Doesn't Gibson now offer a low priced, single pickup V with a wrap tail?

6. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Yes, they call it Melody Maker V. Priced around $450 or so.

7. Mudder

Mudder Member

Dean V79 is a very solid V. The MIK models are cheap to come by and readily upgradeable.

8. 440gtx6pak

440gtx6pak Member

I sold a Gibson Flying V in Faded Cherry, a few years back on an Ebay auciton, and it bid to just under $500. Looking back, it was a nice guitar and I could shoot myself for selling it that cheap.:facepalm Assuming you can still find them at that pricing, why would someone want a 'clone' of something, when the originals can sometimes sell for less, if you are patient in your search?

EDIT: yes you can still find them at that price: CLICK

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  9. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

Those late 70's era V's are now collectable. They were the 4rth generation of V's (after the original 58's, then the '67 release, then the Medalions from early 70's). one in good condition is going to run you about 3-4k now. the only other V's that have the paddle style headstock, High neck shelf and shallower neck/body angle are the Medalions, and they are rare, and are now starting to command serious $$$ ( 6-8k in good condition). so if you are dead set on that configuration only and specifically then I think you are going to want one of the 4rth gen v's (run starts in 75 and goes to 82), but as above, assuming you are looking for one without a headstock break, expect to shell out several thousand dollars for it.

My first V (of 7 or so I've owned over the years) was a 67 RI (the basic Gibson USA model still in production today) and these can be found used for around or just under 1k, making them excellent deals, but you are going to get the standard neck/shelf profile, neck angle, et al, as well as the ceramic 498/500 pu pairing, which if you are used to the more vintage voicing of your fathers old guitars you may find a bit off putting (the 500t is a serious fire-breathing monster, once you get used to it it makes all other pickups seem weak, but if your tone is dialed in for a more normal outputted V, it will sound harsh and nasal, all of this can be adjusted at the amp, but people are usually wary of doing this if they have thier tone already dialed into a different reference guitar.

Ibanez made some decent set neck clones of these 70's era instruments that seem to largely have the body stats of a medalion style instrument, but these are also rare and can be hard to find. they will only run you in excess of a grand if you find one, but there's no guarentee you'll be happy with the provided electronics if you are used to real Gibsons from that era. I'm guessing they'd be nicer.

if your dad has 2, why not just learn to be careful and keep playing them, assuming he's happy to let you. If he's not keeping them as collectors items, and even if he is, being played is what makes guitars happy. use them. just be careful because they are becoming reasonably valuable (and trending upwards further)

10. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

My dad's V's have Duncans in 'em, and thanks for the info and advice...he also has a '67 RI, and I'm not a huge fan of the neck....the 500t is awesome though, "fire-breathing" is an understatement!

The pots, etc. have al been changed out over the years, the finish on one is a spray-can job from 20 yrs. ago.....I'm used to stuff that's not perfect. Swapping electronics and hardware shouldn't be an issue, and a well-repaired headstock break ain't an issue (again...my dad's V's...).

11. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

I like it, I think there's a music store a half-hour from where I live that is an "authorized dealer" or whatever. i'll try it out.:dude

12. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

$450 is a great price for a low-budget :dude like me.

13. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Have you checked into a Dean? My favorite V of any.

[​IMG]

14. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Dean now makes a Schenker V that is pretty low price.

15. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

I'm a Schenker fan....and I did look into the Dean Schenker one...is the neck shape any good?

And.....the other Deans just aren't my thing. I'm not into carved tops and '58-style setups on Flying V's. The headstock might be good for self-defense, but I'm not a huge fan of the look of it....But thanks for the advice!

16. NHDave

NHDave Supporting Member

I agree with 440GTX. I think you might be better off
    waiting for a used faded V than any of these other options.
    I like stuff like Deans and Carvins but not when a faded
    is available at $500 (give or take a few bucks) You probably
    have enough room to add some duncans and maybe some pickup
    rings to get that KK Downing, Schenker vibe.

17. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

Yeah....The vibe I'm looking for is exactly that: PU rings, Duncans, etc.

Putting P/U rings in is really hard, but the outcome is more than worth it.

I like white V's, and I saw somebody on another forum showing step-by-step refinishing a faded V to white gloss. kinda cool. black ones are sweet too. But the stock finish is cool enough. I'd get the headstock front painted body color, though, the 70's ones had that, so black on the headstock looks weird to me on a red/white/blue/yellow/etc. Flying V.

18. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

I just scored a great mid-'90s '67 RI Gibson for a hair under $500. Not the faded series (which uses lower quality wood and has multi-piece bodies in addition to the lack of finishing). I wasn't really looking, but just kind of fell into this one, and for the price, couldn't be happier. Single piece, beautifully-grained mahogany body, light as a feather and completely different feeling/playing/sounding than my Hamer Vector.

I do prefer the Vector hands-down, but for the money, you can't go wrong keeping an eye open for a decent Gibson. They're definitely out there, and can be had on a budget. This one will definitely get gigged too.

19. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

pics please!!!

20. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

My favorite as well. The neck carve is just spectacular. There's been a lot of praise for the Dean Black Gold V (imported)and they are very reasonably priced.

Here's my Korina Dean USA Custom Shop V (ebony board-Duncan '59/JB pickups)...unbelievable neck but pricey!!

[​IMG]

I liked that Reverend as well...I'd definitely check it out if I was in the market in that price range.