Help Marshall DSL50 or DSL100?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by seventn, Jul 8, 2006.

1. seventn

seventn Member

I've tried the DSL50 a few times and I loved it but I'm trying to find a used local one but can only find a DSL100 for a decent price.

Do they sound the same at low to modarate levels?

2. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I'd wait for a DSL50. 50 watt Marshalls deliver the goods at almost reasonable volume levels.

3. seventn

seventn Member

What if I liked the sound of the DSL50 at low levels, would I also like the 100?

4. captainT

captainT Member

I had both amps and if I were to give you advise I would go to a music store and try both. Since sounds and musical tone is subjective you need to experience them for yourself and then decide. For me I thought my 100 actually sounded better but of course there is a volume issue. But what is your application for use? With the 100 you will always have enough power.

captainT

5. seventn

seventn Member

My application is studio only. So even 50 watts is too much! : )

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

You can find a better amp in a Marshall JMP for not many peanuts. Look for a 50 watt late seventies JMP.

2 CENTS

7. gulliver

gulliver Member

yes, I think there are a lot of other amps that are better, if you get something less compressed you'll probably like it more and have the flexibility to compress it with a pedal if you want that tone.

8. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

...and then start looking for distortion pedals if you want higher gain at lower volumes.

The DSL amps are not too terribly loved, but like any tube Marshall the DSL amps will not deliver at low volumes whether or not they are 100 or 50 watts.

The DSL amps have a pretty cool "classic" channel and the "ultra" channel is good on the lead 1 mode when you have it running pretty hot...otherwise its sort of weak. I've owned the DSL100 and DSL50 and didn't notice an overwhelming difference between the two.

9. seventn

seventn Member

I guess it is all relative cause I always hated Marshall amps until I tried the DSL50 with my deluxe strat with even a crappy 4x12 G12T-75. So I sold my Twin yesterday and will be picking up a DSL soon.

"The DSL amps are not too terribly loved, but like any tube Marshall the DSL amps will not deliver at low volumes whether or not they are 100 or 50 watts."

Again, its a matter of taste cause I was just mentioning how I like their tone at low volumes. And you must be confusing the DSL with the JCM800 range. Cause unlike the 800 the DSL50 sounds very good at low volume AND there is absolutely no need for OD pedal. And head on over to the Marshall forum before saying that the DSL or not liked very much. Almost everybody loves them.

I almost didn't try one cause a lot of people on this forum don't seem to like anything that is not old. Sometimes I feel like you don't like anything that comes out of a box. But remember that your old amps once came out of a box and somebody hated them cause there were not a "classic". In 10-20 years you'll be saying that the new Marshalls don't sound as good as the old DLS's from way back then... And the new BDRI made at Fender's Martian plant don't have as much soul as the MIM ones! : )

10. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

A DSL50 is an AMAZING amp. However the DSL100 sounds NOTHING like it.

If you like the DSL50, go with it. A DSL100 will not be a DSL50 only louder, it's another beast. And I prefer the DSL50 beast.

11. 1964

1964 Member

> "And the new BDRI made at Fender's Martian plant don't have as much soul as the MIM ones! : )"

:rotflmao

12. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I have a DSL 50 that I bought new a year and a half ago and had owned a 70's MK 11 a few years before that. The old Marshall had incredible tone with my 74 & 67 SG's plugged straight in. The DSL 50 is also a great amp but I was finding I could'nt get that classic Marshall crunch without cranking the amp to higher volume. I then bought a DR Z Airbrake to try to attenuate the power, but I still found it to be pretty loud for gig volume. Anyway the DSL is stored in the back room since I bought a Dr Z Maz 18 Jr amp.

13. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

I am not confusing any amps. Having owned the DSL100 and DLS50 (still own the 50) I can say from experience that to me the amps sound much better at stage volumes than in the basement, and since they sound pretty good down low, this is only a good thing. But to really get the Marshall roar, they need to be opened up.

We're not at the Marshall forum, we're on TGP, so I guess my point was that I don't think alot of guys here dig the JCM2000 amps for precisely the reason you mention above (but I do).

:)

14. LaXu

LaXu Member

As a former owner of a DSL50 I have to agree. They sound thin at low volume, but quite nice at high volumes (or through an attenuator). The Ultra Gain channel is overgained in either mode IMO, when cranked it sounded best with the gain between 2-4 at most. I think they're good sounding, very versatile amps. Marshall would have a killer amp in their hands if they upped the quality and made a good master volume for the amps.

I eventually sold mine because I found it too loud for my uses. I prefer something with a good master volume so I don't have to attenuate as much.

15. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

I gig with a DSL 50. Turning the volume half way up (and using a 16 ohm Hotplate) the amp sounds as good as amps that cost twice as much.

I you want a Super Lead sound, buy a Super Lead. If you want a JMP/JCM tone, buy one of those. If you want to get close to those sounds, with more versatility and less cost, go buy a DSL50.