Help! Marshall tube amp at low volumes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Paco Luna, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Paco Luna

Paco Luna Member

hello, i´m interested at the Marshall DSL 40c, it can be switch from 40 watts to 20 watts, I´m planing to use it live, as well as my main bedroom practice amp, just wondering if it will sound good at low volumes on 20 watts, this would be my first tube amp, so maybe the marshall needs to be cranked to sound good, and i supossed 20 watts is very loud for use it in a bedroom cranked.

Hope you can answer my questions, i don´t want a amp that won´t sound good at low volumes.

I play rock metal, almost always with high distortion.

and another question, if i use it with a boss ds-1, would it solve the posible problem of pour sound (comparing it to a cranked sound)?

Thanks!! (if anyone has experience on this amp, please tell me how you feel about the amp, how can it handles metal, rock, shred stuff like steve vai, yngwie, etc, thanks)

2. SteveO

SteveO Member

The difference in overall volume between 20 watts and 40 is minimal at best, but the DSLs have good master volumes so output power shouldn't be a concern anyway.

3. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

It will never sound AS GOOD at low volume. You'll notice this more for leads than rhythm (i.e. lack of sustain and fullness). That being said, with enough pre-amp gain and/or pedals, you might be able to get anyway with it depending on the tones you are looking for. Best thing to do, if you can, is go to a local music store and find out first hand.

4. 8len8

8len8 Member

My DSL40C sound good at low volumes.

5. Paco Luna

Paco Luna Member

Thanks all for replying, does it sound as good when at high volumes?

Can it handle shred stuff like vai or Michael Angelo BAtio? or should i need to look to another amp?

Thanks

6. Oatie

Oatie Member

I would recommend a JMP50 with either the Lar-Mar or Metro PPIMV, this way you get the lower volume playing amp or tuen the Master all the way up and the Amp is back to Normal. It's an easy Mod and works well, My 20 Watt 2061 up top is a one-trick-chick, but the center 1970 JMP50 Smallbox has the Lar-Mar PPIMV and I can get all the plexi tones at just about any volume levels. I use the new PEC Dual Pot 250K for the Larmar and two 2.2M Carbon Film Resistors for a good system.

You will find thew need for a 50 Watt amp and you will wish you had a JMP50 or Super Lead.

When you click to see the larger pic you will see the Master Volume Knob in the far left Polarity Switch location. It's just an idea because it's so much more convenient than installing on the back.
    Other guys remove the presence Pot and put the Presence Pot on the rear and the MV in the front.

[​IMG]

7. 8len8

8len8 Member

Yeah, it'll handle that. Check out all of the posts at www.marshallforum.com.

8. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Catalinbread's Dirty Little Secret through a clean amp

9. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

It will probably sound better at high volumes, but DSL's sound just fine at lower volumes. The issue Marshall amps have with not sounding good at low volumes applied mostly to amps built before the JCM2000 series.