Help me beef up my collection :)

Which guitar would you aim to get if you were me?

• Super Strat (i.e. Charvel, Jackson)

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Gibson LP Reissue (i.e. R7, R8, R9 or R0) - throwing it in as I love LP

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Gibson SG

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Telecaster (i.e. Fender/Suhr)

Votes: 33 48.5%
  • Stratocaster (i.e. Fender/Suhr)

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Epiphone Matt Heafy LP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Epiphone Bjorn LP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Others (Please specify in comments below)

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ouchz

Hi Peeps,

Hope everyone is having a great time over the festive season.

I am kind of in a dilemma. I will have a chance to visit the United States (i.e. Nashville) some time in Jan 2017 and would like to take the opportunity to acquire a guitar. The guitar would be something that can compliment my collection and perhaps inspire me to practice more.

As of now, I am gearing towards a Gibson SG Std 2017, Fender American Tele 2017 or Fender Baja Tele (50's or 60's), Charvel San Dimas (maple fretboad) or an Epiphone Bjorn or Matt Heafy's LP.

Rationale:
-Gibson SG: Something that I don't have in my collection. Sound wise would be different from my current guitars being punchy, aggressive with cutting mid-range.
- Tele: Something that I don't have in my collection. The twang seems nice with the bark from the bridge, it would be a rock machine.
- Charvel: Although I have an ESP EII, I kind of want a strip down version with a maple fretboard. I believe the maple fret-board and alder body would give it a different sonic palette to what I have currently.
- Epiphone: I always wanted an all out metal guitar with EMG pickups and I am very comfortable with the LP style.

If you were me, which guitar would you go for? *please vote in the poll*

Budget: Preferably approx. USD $1,500 (stretchable if I can find something really nice but doubt it will pass the USD$2.5K mark)

Music Preference:
- Hard Rock, Classic Rock, 80's Hair Metal, Metal, Blues, Alternatives and maybe Pop

Current Guitar Collection:
- 92 Gibson LP Classic Plus: Current No. 1, love how it sounds and play
- LP Copy: My "Slash" guitar for G'n'R covers
- ESP EII ST2 (RW fingerboard): Super-Strat for 80s rock
- '08 Fender American Std Strat (Maple fingerboard)

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
I lean towards the super strats because they are very easy to play and are much more versatile than most guys think. I have 2 Ibanez S-models that are easy to play and sound great. I recently bought a Jackson Dinky Pro DK2Q - imported but very high quality ($800 with case) - with Duncan pickups that sound great and a 5-way selector that gives you options besides full humbucking. The superstrats are so easy to play, great values for the money and quality construction.
View media item 48935View media item 47290

sleepingtiger

For $1500 or so, I'd say a used PRS of your choice. SO many cool models & they are available at very reasonable prices. The other guitarist in my band just got a Cu22 Soapbar in beautiful condition for $1350 in the Emporium here. I got a Mira Korina for $1000 about 2 years ago. The deals are there!

Tony

Is multiple guitars an option?

Adding a Tele is a great choice. The Baja seems like it would make a great addion.
The quality and value are top-notch.

So if multiple is an option, i'm with a Baja and a Faded SG, or a Baja and a Mascis JM and a couple of unique pedals.

Or just go out, sees what speaks to you, and treat yourself with one awesome piece. Either way, sounds like fun, so enjoy looking! Post pics!

fitz

I voted for the Tele. It looks like you have 3 humbucker guitars already. I assume the ESP has humbuckers. And only one single coil guitar. As Mark mentions, you may be able to get both a Tele & SG depending on the models you choose. I have a faded Gibson 60's Special with P90's & it is a real nice playing guitar. Also, if you are willing to stretch a bit, you can get a nice Tele & a SG Standard or 61 Reissue for less than 2K.

Simto

Something with P90's like a Les Paul Jr or a 335 with P90's would be my first recommendation. Maybe a Tele or a Cabronita style Tele too?
I would go for something different, but most of the stuff you've listed is more or less variations of what you already have.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice having different options of the same guitar when you really like a certain type, but I'd definitely get something different at this point.

ASATlove

Have you looked into a PRS Mira??? Has dual humbuckers, they split with a good single coil sound(bridge is quite sparky) has a thin mahogany body and med. neck, the shape of a double cut away Les Paul. These are KNOWN AS ONE MACHINES!!! I love mine.....

Hi Peeps,

Hope everyone is having a great time over the festive season.

I am kind of in a dilemma. I will have a chance to visit the United States (i.e. Nashville) some time in Jan 2017 and would like to take the opportunity to acquire a guitar. The guitar would be something that can compliment my collection and perhaps inspire me to practice more.

As of now, I am gearing towards a Gibson SG Std 2017, Fender American Tele 2017 or Fender Baja Tele (50's or 60's), Charvel San Dimas (maple fretboad) or an Epiphone Bjorn or Matt Heafy's LP.

Rationale:
-Gibson SG: Something that I don't have in my collection. Sound wise would be different from my current guitars being punchy, aggressive with cutting mid-range.
- Tele: Something that I don't have in my collection. The twang seems nice with the bark from the bridge, it would be a rock machine.
- Charvel: Although I have an ESP EII, I kind of want a strip down version with a maple fretboard. I believe the maple fret-board and alder body would give it a different sonic palette to what I have currently.
- Epiphone: I always wanted an all out metal guitar with EMG pickups and I am very comfortable with the LP style.

If you were me, which guitar would you go for? *please vote in the poll*

Budget: Preferably approx. USD $1,500 (stretchable if I can find something really nice but doubt it will pass the USD$2.5K mark)

Music Preference:
- Hard Rock, Classic Rock, 80's Hair Metal, Metal, Blues, Alternatives and maybe Pop

Current Guitar Collection:
- 92 Gibson LP Classic Plus: Current No. 1, love how it sounds and play
- LP Copy: My "Slash" guitar for G'n'R covers
- ESP EII ST2 (RW fingerboard): Super-Strat for 80s rock
- '08 Fender American Std Strat (Maple fingerboard)
Where are you from? The reason I ask is that you might end up paying a big chunk of import duty for something you could buy cheaper wherever you are. Here's a cautionary tale so beware...
http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/importing-guitars-from-america

Last edited:

Jonny G

From your current guitars you look humbucked out, plus you have a standard strat. Tele or an SG with P90's would get you nicely into different territory. If you like punchy pickups, you may be dissapointed by tele output levels (with standard pickups) whereas P90's should serve you well if the noise doesnt bother you (bothered the hell out of me so swapped out the Gibson P90's for Kinmans - not cheap but sure as heck do the job). SG is also really nice for the upper neck access although a 335 can get you there too - somewhat different flavour though.

If you really want to beef up your collection, as in increase the numbers of guitars that you own, just go outy a buy a bunch of those crappy Squiers that a lot of people for reasons known only to themselves and God seem to like and praise, in fact I'm pretty sure God doesn't even know why people praise them or have anything good to say about them. For about US$1,000.00 I'm willing to be you could buy a dozen of them if not more.

Tim Plains

I didn't vote but just wanted to mention that, if you do buy a SG, you can easily get a Custom Shop SG with that budget.

Redub

Silver Supporting Member
If you don't own a tele, and you are visiting Nashville, go ahead and get the tele. There's nothing wrong with your other choices, but if I were visiting the US and buying a guitar, I'd rather have a "tele I bought in Nashville" than any of the other "xxxxx I bought in Nashville."
You'll also benefit from a ton of options - probably more teles per capita there than any other city.

Brad8008135

A 1978 Ibanez Musician with a paralyzing array of switches and knobs.

ibanez_musicoan.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom