Help me Beef up my Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Trevorsnackson, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

Hey Guys!

I have a MiM telecaster that I absolutely adore. Except the pickups, but it plays great!

The real problem is, I noticed one of my saddles it chipped, and its been cutting up my hand and my arm, so I believe thats a good sign to replace it.

So I figured I might as well start up a list of things to make this guitar great.

What kind of bridge/saddles would you upgrade on your MiM?
    What kind of pickups?
    What else would you upgrade?

2. e???

e??? Member

Lollar vintage t's are pretty cool

3. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

There's a lot of things you can do. I like Glendale bridges and saddles. I've got them on quite a few Teles, including a MiM one, and have had great results. Lots of great choices out there for pickups. I really like Fralins, Peter Florance Voodoos, and Manlius. It just depends on what type of sound you are going for. Another nice upgrade is upgrading the pots/caps.

4. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

The Lollar Vintage T's have always been in the back of mind as a pickup I'd love to try out, maybe this summer is the time.

I'll definitely look into the Glendales, thanks the recommendation. I'm really looking to just get an authentic telecaster sound.

5. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

what year is your tele? are you looking for 50s twang?

i ask because there's very little you can do to a MIM that would cause a 'significant' improvement in my book. It'll be different, not better, and can cost a lot of $.

6. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

It's 2006 I believe. I don't need a significant improvement on it as I really do love the way in plays. Pickups are a normal upgrade, but what I'm really interested in is upgrading hardware and maybe electronics to just make it "work" better. Such as the bridge and saddles etc.

7. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

You want beef?? Lollar J Street

8. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

Just watched a video, that thing sounds KILLER!

9. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I put one in my tele and love it

10. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

The Special T neck seems like it pairs pretty well from Lollar's video. Curious... whats your neck PUP spot?

11. inselwissen

inselwissen Member

In my opinion, most three-saddle-bridge plates are generally fine and don't need to be upgraded, but it sounds like your MIM has a six saddle bridge on it. A decent three-saddle-bridge w/ compensated brass saddles should do wonders to beef that Telly right up.

On the cheaps, the Wilkinson one (WTBCR) is pretty nice, Gotohs are pretty cool, too. And then there's the aforementioned boutique options. People love them, but I don't even know if they sound that much better tbh. I've not done any direct comparisons, so take that as you will.

I use ABM-VCS saddles and Rockinger/Goeldo saddles on my two Teles (stock bridges) and I have no complaints, but they're hard to find in the US.

As for pickups, the world is your oyster. For more "beef", I'd put in some 50s style pickups and literally everyone offers their version. Over at the TDPRI, people love Rob DiStefano's Cavalier Pickups. Super good prices for hand wound, too. No personal experience, though.

Rick51 likes this.
  12. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

Yes, I forgot to mention that it is indeed a six saddle. I totally didn't even think of looking into a three-saddle-bridge. I also forgot that posting on the TGP opens a can of worms and now there are so many wonderful things to do to my tele

13. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

none. It's a Snakehead. 1 pickup :D. I can cover a lot of ground with the volume knob

14. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

mmmm sounds sweet! :rockin

15. fretless

fretless Silver Supporting Member

Regarding the electronics - they don't need an upgrade. Your MIM has CTS pots and a CRL switch. Exactly the same as a U.S. Made Tele. Good stuff! The bridge upgrade is always nice. Any vintage spec bridge is a direct drop in on your model. Add some compensated brass saddles and you should see a noticeable tone shift. Cheap and easy fix.

16. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

pic!!
    [​IMG]

Rick51, SciFlyer, burns and 1 other person like this.
  17. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

That is one killer lookin guitar man!

18. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Big fan of the Twang King set. As others have said, having brass saddles is really a must for that Tele tone, and compensated ones will help tame the intonation issues. I have Callaham saddles in mine.

19. mikealpine

mikealpine Gold Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    I have a tech putting a J-Street in my Ron Kirn as I write this. I have a Duncan Vintage mini-HB in the neck, and I needed a beefy pickup to keep up with it. A pairing I have seen pretty often is the Lollar Special T bridge with the Vintage T neck, kind of a "best of both worlds" setup. And one more pickup set that is pulling me is the Big-T set. They are sold by www.buyanalogman.com and are wound by Lindy Fralin. I don't know the specs, but it sounds amazing to me.

20. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

I'm definitely thinking J-Street and Special T might be for me. Sounds like the 3 saddle is a must. Thanks guys!

T Dizz likes this.