Help me build (almost) a clone of my 73 Tele Custom

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RedRockRoy, Feb 13, 2012.

1. RedRockRoy

RedRockRoy Member

First, I love, love, love the sound of this guitar. But I hate the neck. The neck has a thick back and shallow radius which is very uncomfortable for me.

I considered replacing the neck and keeping the body but now I am thinking the best way to go is to build a partscaster and sell the vintage guitar. For financial reasons, I probably need to sell the guitar before building the new one so I’m hoping to get some good advice on what to buy. This is a great sounding axe but the neck just does not work for me. I’m trying to build a replacement with the same tone.

The guitar is a 4 dial tele custom with ash body, one piece maple neck, weight 7.6 lbs. Everything is stock. I use it almost exclusively with the pickup switch in the middle and open G tuning. I like the 4 dials because I can add twang by boosting vol to the back pickup without turning the treble dial.

Any advice much appreciated.

2. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Ask Danocaster to make a replica?

3. RedRockRoy

RedRockRoy Member

Those look pretty cool but I don't need a relic. I was thinking of having it built by my friendly local guitar tech here in Chicago, Tim Schroeder.

4. teleman55

teleman55 Member

If you sell the original, you'll have to find and buy an old widerange for the neck pu.

5. RedRockRoy

RedRockRoy Member

Not sure what you mean by widerange. Please explain.

What modern pickup would best make a substitute for the existing neck double coil pickup?

6. guitarnut

guitarnut Member

here is my danocaster '74 replica.

[​IMG]

amazing guitar with an original widerange in the neck. the lollar regals are supposed to be a great cop of the widerange ... also creamery pickups in the uk do a version.

for a non relic custom i would be getting in touch with creston guitars. incredible.

7. AL30

AL30 Member

He means the neck pickup. That's what the fuss is about with those guitars - the Wide Range humbuckers. They aren't being made anymore (by Fender) and a real/vintage one is expensive and elusive. Both Novak and Telenator make replacments. I haven't heard them.

http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/hum-WR.shtml
    http://www.telenator.com/cunife-wide-range-humbucker/

AL

8. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

My first good guitar was a '74 Tele Custom...black with a maple neck/fb.

Man that guitar was cool...me and a friend stripped it and planned on refinishing it (this was 1991-2 before relics were a big deal). We disassembled it and put the metal parts in oil to loosen up the rust that was there. We left for the day and came back to his dad's shop the next day to continue the process...

His dad threw away my guitar...he thought it was "junk that was cluttering his workshop". He never even apologized!

Some of these builders can make a guitar with no relicing...ask around.

I recently bought a strat from a builder that specializes in vintage style Fender builds...he usually relics them but did without the relicing and it looks fantastic..plays fantastically as well.

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

If you go the partscaster route, you can pretty much do whatever you want. Here's the "chibacaster", built long ago by a TGP member, came to me via Bobby D.:

[​IMG]

Strat neck, ash body (I think it's ash), body at least is made in mexico. Not sure on the neck. The pickguard was hand customized. Two volumes, one tone. It came to me with this high tech Babicz bridge, which turns out to be very nice indeed. The neck p/u is hard mounted to the body, by design. It had SD p/us in it when I got it. Not bad either, but I was very curious about Tom Short's p/us. So the neck now is Tom's Undercover mini, the bridge a Swinging Single.

I was much impressed with this guitar before the p/u swap, even more afterwards. The whole concept works so well ... the two volumes, the hardmounted neck p/u. If you go the partscaster route, I can recommend this approach. And this minihumbucker in particular is outstanding. I do have clips if you get curious.

MD

10. RedRockRoy

RedRockRoy Member

Thanks much for the responses so far.
    I had no clue about the widerange pickup details. Thanks for the info there. $450 for a clone pickup changes the equation a little more towards just buying a new neck but I still want to go with the build a clone route. Who knows, I may end up keeping them both!
    Great guitar pics guys.

11. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

If you don't want to bother with tracking down a vintage Fender WideRange humbucker, Lollar offers a version, called the Regal. Not an exact clone (some of the metallurgy is different), but the same where it counts.

I just finished this thinline using Regals, and I am more than happy with the tone and output:

[​IMG]