Help me build my effects rig for just US$520!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitar-rookie, Mar 8, 2006.

1. guitar-rookie

guitar-rookie Supporting Member

Hi,
    Just venturing in the pedals zone. I play mainly church stuff, those contemporary ones like Planet shakers and hillsongs, chris tomlin, casting crowns, etc. Somethin like U2, i guess.
    So here's what i need:
    Overdrive: (low gain preferably)
    Overdrive ( some thing to stack up with the other for leads)
    Delay (preferably with tap tempo)
    Volume pedal
    Chorus
    Compressor

Yea, that's about it. I don't live in the US though so I have to get my stuff in Singapore ( I'm Malaysian actually).
    Thanks.

2. guitar-rookie

Oh yah, forgot to add, I'm currently using a PRS tremonti SE and a Roland Cube 30 (hoping to sell it off soon) and get a fender pro jr.

3. Madsman

Madsman Member

OD1: Blues Pro
    OD2: -- cmatmods maybe? Good prices on good stuff.
    Delay: DLS EchoTap or L6 Echo Park
    Volume: Boss (the new silver ones. Much nicer than they used to be)
    Chorus: -- One of the many clones out there?
    Compressor: -- Again, I'd go with someone's clone... the only compressor I've ever liked was the Diamond.

A tube amp is going to make a huge difference, though.

4. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

For now to help cut the cost I would forget about two OD's and the compressor.
    Get one decent OD that you can use your volume knob or maybe even the volume pedal to control your amount of drive. Something along the lines of the Mi Audio Blues Pro. That is what I would do.

5. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

My advice is to forget any pedals until you get the new amp because:

a) With the touch sensitivity of a small valve amp you may not need as many overdrives.
    b) The effect pedals that'd sound best with the Cube may be very different to those that you'll like with the Pro Junior.

The new amp will have more overall impact on your tone so that's where I'd be spending first.

6. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Stage hog will take care of the boost, rhythm Od and lead tones and even flat out distortion ,but it is 600 usd and is said to go up in price in a month...

7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

OD boost - Digitech Bad Monkey $40
    Distortion - Digitech Hot Head $40 or Electroharmonix USA Big Muff Pi $80
    Delay - Digitech DigiDelay $100
    Boss Chorus $90
    Ernie Ball Volume pedal $100
    Boss Compressor sustainer $100
    Voodoo Labs pedal power $140

A bit over but do you really need a volume pedal or compressor?

8. JoeyD

JoeyD Member

Forget about a second OD, you can get that from your amp. Pick up one OD (forget about this boutekk stuff, your church isnt gonna know the difference one bit). Bad monkey was a good suggestion. Pick up a used chorus, any will do, just make sure it's not digital (I got my Ce-2 for 20$). Compressor really isnt nessicary in my oppinion. Nor the pedal power suggested... a 1spot will suit you fine for a 1/4 the price. Volume... boss or earnie should do you. Delay should be where a lot of your cash goes since you cited U2... L6 echo park can do dotted eighth note delays which you can tap in, that will make your Edgery much easier. If you feel like spending more I highly recomend the Boss DD-20 with external footswitch, but in your case i would save the cash for the tubes. Those are gonna make the most difference.

9. Craise

Craise Member

I love these threads!
    Here's what I'd get
    Tim 2 channel Overdrive or fulltone 2 $150
    Echo Park $125
    E Ball Vol. $100
    Orange Squeezer Clone $100
    Boss CE-2 Chorus $50

10. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Buy used! I just did a quick check of eBay for prices.

OD/Distortion
    Jekyl & Hyde 75
    Delay DD-20 150
    Chorus Keeley CE-2 120
    Volume Pedal Morley 35
    Compressor Peavey CSR-2 30
    Tuner TU-2 75
    Phaser Behringer Vintage 40

The Visual Sound pedal gives you both OD and Distortion. Very punchy with a wide range of sounds. Used by Casting Crowns, Audio A, Relient K, etc.

DD-20 is great for worship. You can save settings for dotted eighth, mod, and volume swell. The mod delay is awesome for pretty picking parts. Make sure to set the depth to 100 and the speed to 50.

Don't mess with a cheap chorus (esp Boss CE-5, digitech, etc). You could substitute H2O or Voodoo Lab here.

If you can get an Earnie Ball Jr for a good price they are very nice. The Morley's are big but built to last forever.

I've heard that the Peavey compressor is a real bargain for the cost.

You can get a daisy chain cord for the TU-2 and use it to power all your other effects.

Bonus! You have to have a phaser if you're doing worship. The small stone adds a lot of atmosphere. Especially in combination with mod delay.

John

11. ♫▐▀▄▀▌♫

♫▐▀▄▀▌♫ Member

+1 on getting the amp first and also +1 on the Tim. Rythm and lead in one pedal for only $150. Do a search, and you'll get tons of results.

12. autopilot

autopilot Member

Overdrive: (low gain preferably) marshall bluesbreaker $60
    Overdrive ( some thing to stack up with the other for leads) boss sd1 or digitech bad monkey $45
    Delay (preferably with tap tempo) digitech digidelay $100
    Volume pedal - ernie ball 90
    Chorus - EHx Small Clone $90
    Compressor maxon comp $100
    Total $485.

even you can avoid the bluesbreaker and get a Timmy if you dont mind the wait.

Yea, that's about it. I don't live in the US though so I have to get my stuff in Singapore ( I'm Malaysian actually).
    Thanks.[/quote]

13. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

How 'bout the Boss ME-50? Would seem to do the job for less than you've budgeted... maybe helping that amp upgrade along too.

14. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

You should really check out the ODs and Boost and Comp that CMATMODS has, listen to the clips, I am sure they'll fit the bill. For me they have worked well in front of amps, through the PA, low and hi gain, low and hi volume.

15. guitar-rookie

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the suggestions, however, as I have stated in the first post, I don't live in the US. My mom is a big Anti-online buying kind of person. I guess MI Audio and TIM is out. yea..btw, $520 NOT including power supply. hehe...
    How abt modded pedals are they good?

To give and insight on what brands stores in Singapore sell:
    Boss
    Ibanez
    Maxon
    Line 6
    Vox
    Ernie Ball
    Fulltone
    Xotic
    Death By Audio
    Toadworks
    lal
    Redwitch
    Dunlop
    RMC wahs
    Visual Sound
    Keeley stuff
    Zoom
    Effector 13
    Proco
    electro-harmonix
    radial
    moogerfooger
    crowther hotcake
    banzai
    digitech
    marshall
    mxr
    Custom modded pedals by randolf.

I'm sure there's still some more..till next time eh? keep the suggestions coming!

16. msp

msp Member

when i first started giging i purchased a tweed carvin tube (used) amp a rocktron rack effects unit (and footswitch) and a (used) epiphone sheriton (2?...forgot the actual model) guitar

then as time rolled on i learned about good tone and my band started to play bigger gigs.... i saved my money, studied the gear out there and made wise choices to purchase

and i'm still doing that....

my point is....get what satisfies your need and is the best value for the money you have to spend......maybee you only need one OD and a delay pedal to get what you "need"....yet you "want" more.....so get the two quality pedals you have researched and then save up and study up for the next one

don't try to do it all in one sweep, it doesn't work that way unless you are a verry rich man who allready knows what he wants......and i am guessing by the nature of this thread .... you are not

good luck

17. guitar-rookie

yea, i agree there is some truth in what u say, maybe all i need is a good amp and 1, 2 pedals..haha..

18. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

In the early 80s I started my electric guitar playing with an Ibanez Blazer strat copy and a Fender Harvard Reverb solid state amp.

At a friends advice I started buying pedals, mostly boss overdrives and distortions until settling on Tube Screamers for most of my overdrive needs. As it became fashionable around that time I also ended up purchasing MIDI effects-delays, reverbs, equalizers-all sorts of things.

I tried a lot of my friends Gibsons and Fender guitars into my rig and although they all sounded different to my Blazer, I never really got a totally gratifying tone. The thing is though, that when I played my little cheap though reasonable strat copy into those same friends Fender or Marshall valve amps the resultant tone was immediately the sort of character and warmth I'd hoped for.

A decent guitar and amp are the meat and veg of your tone, the effects are the sauces and the dressings. Obviously you have to have a guitar that feels and sounds good but I'd say a good amp is at least 50% of the equation when it comes to tone.

As a side note, get on the waiting list for a TIM while you purchase your new amp!

19. ♫▐▀▄▀▌♫

♫▐▀▄▀▌♫ Member

+1 A great amp and a decent guitar can get you good tone. A worthless amp and a 2,000$ guitar will sound like the 50 dollar amp....
    +1 on the Tim too.