Help me buy a high end looping pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Platypus, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

I'm looking for some specific features that a few pedals all seem to have but I'm hoping for some user input here.

I currently own an Akai Headrush 2 and while it's great for simple overdubs on the fly in a live setting, once you start to get past the 3rd overdub the sound quality is essentially unusable and too muddy. Furthermore, the loops get so loud that normal playing is lost in the mix. I've tried all sorts of tricks like lowering guitar volume, etc but in the end if I have 6 or 7 overdubs the track becomes essentially a blurry mess. Additionally, if I wanted to remove the last 3 or 4 dubs I cannot do that.

That search led me to looking into a multi-track looper.. something where I can use one loop for the constant beat I'm looking for but has another loop that allows me to layer my sounds together and then be able to remove that loop and get back to the root rhythm I was going for.

It would also be great if I could route one loop to the input of one amp and another to the input of a different one. This is not a requirement but it would help out a lot with the looping getting too muddy I would imagine.

I've been looking at the Boss RC-50 and the EHX 2880. Both are around the same price (expensive :tapedshut). The sound quality needs to be high because after numerous overdubs the quality is just unbearable. I've also read about the Boomerang but it doesn't seem to have as many features.

So can anyone assist in my search? I'm fine with the pricetag as long as it does exactly what I need it to. One last question, if the looper has multiple outs, can I just run a cable from the 'left out' to the input of one amp and the 'right out' to the input of another amp like it seems you can?

2. deathbyska76

deathbyska76 Member

2880. I've had an RC50 glitch out on me, multiple times. Or, Ableton Live, if you're not opposed to using a computer. I've been using Live for a long time, its great! but some people dont like to use computers on stage. In this case, id recommend the 2880. I'll probably be grabbing one soon as well

3. Platypus

Thanks for the suggestions.. yeah I'm not into using a computer to do this :)

I've read about issues with the rc50 but it's good to get user input on them. What can you tell me about the 2880 from personal experience that I should know about?

4. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Have you read about the Boomerang III?

Haven't used it myself, but I think it might address some of your needs. You will have to find out if it does progressive UNDO.

Not a pedal but the discontinued Gibson Echoplex Digital pro will do what you mentioned minus the loop routing.

I wouldn't recommend the RC-50. Doesn't the EHX only have 4 tracks?

5. Platypus

I guess that latter part needs clarification. Do those 4 tracks allow multiple overdubs per track or are they treated as 4 overdubs only that you can individually control? The way I've read it, it sounds like 4 separate tracks that you can record on top of but if that's not the case then I'm back to square one I guess.

6. Jazztone

Jazztone Member

+1 The Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro is a remarkable, if discontinued, live looper. See PM

7. echobaseone

echobaseone Member

I own both the RC-20 and the 2880. 2880 has incredible fidelity, and the ability to stack and fade, as well as the reverse and octave options...however, i tend to use the RC-20 when I play live, because I'm generally only looping a line or two, it's smaller, has the boss footswitch and it's easier to replace should it get "lost". My only gripe about the 2880 is it is slightly harder to get your loops exact perhaps due to the mechanical type footswitch? I haven't messed with the quantize function though. I do love using the 2880 as a sketchbook for songwriting, especially as I can download the 4 tracks for later use on my computer recording setup.

8. echobaseone

echobaseone Member

You can get multiple overdubs per track, as well as "bouncing tracks" ala 4 track recorder.

9. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Even if it can, I would be shocked if it has progressive UNDO within each track. I was pretty sure that was one of the reasons I eliminated it from my looper search.

10. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

looperlative

eight independent stereo tracks.
    three pairs of stereo outs.
    record, play, stop, and overdub tracks.
    reverse individual tracks at any time during playback.
    speed up or slow down a track.
    Track volume and feedback can be altered from the front panel, MIDI buttons, or MIDI expression pedals.
    Feedback levels are applied to each sample as it is played.
    Each track can be synchronized with any other track or it can be asynchronous with the rest of the tracks.

software based, so open to new developments

not cheap

http://www.looperlative.com/

11. seiko

seiko Member

The rang III is now out, haven't tried it yet.

12. Platypus

excellent, that's how I read it

My problem is essentially solved as long as it has a 'last undo' option considering I have 4 separate tracks to work with though :)

13. Platypus

Thanks for the tip but I'm not looking for a rack mount solution, rather a pedal :)

14. timmerel

timmerel Member

Rang III is transparent, dead easy to use, and doesn't take up much space on the pedalboard. Much more fun than other loopers I've tried, especially live. Read the Rang manual or have a chat with the Boomerang guys about what you're trying to achieve, as they are pretty helpful.

15. Platypus

That was the ghost 3rd option I've been considering but I wasn't sure how the quality of the samples stacked up.

That said, I'm curious what people think of the 2880 versus the Boomerang III at this point as I've pretty much confirmed what I thought about the boss.

16. Platypus

up for 2880 vs Boomerang comparisons

17. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

The 2880 has no undo functions, but you can pot down one of your tracks if you make a mistake (this will also set the feedback to 0 which will erase the track if you wait long enough). The thing that bugs me the most is that it has no separate feedback control; each slider controls both the feedback and mix level of the track.

The other consideration is that the 2880 is freaking huge AND you will need the footpedal too, which means you are dealing with 2 EH large boxes. I also want to have easy access to the sliders, so I am putting the 2880 on a music stand, what I really want is a compact unit that will sit on my pedal board.

That said, it is pretty darn good, haven't tried the Boomerang III though.

18. popthree

popthree Member

i haven't seen a looper..especially a 'pedal' looper that does everything you want...the boomerang III may get close to what you need.

sample width - 20 bits
    bomerang sample rate 24KHz for 17 minutes, 32 seconds OR 48KHz for 8 minutes, 46 seconds. split that in half if running stereo.

you can route 2 signals to different amps... its stereo... so if you give it 2 inputs, each input can be routed to a separate amplifier. i do this all the time.. i run a keyboard/drum machine and bass guitar through one side and my guitar through the other.

you can 4 separate loops, and can undo the 'last overdub/layer' on each of the 4 loops.

the hardware for the boomerang III is complete, but the software is still under development. the unit is being sold with a non-production version of the software right now. when the prod software is complete they will give the update for no fee... if you have a MIDI out from your DI or computer, its a piece of cake to update the software.

i've had the rang3 for a long time now, as i got mine as a beta tester. i really like it a lot. its very easy to use and it sounds very good to me. i had a rang2 and liked it a lot, but always wished for an 'undo' feature, and now i have my wish.

the thing the Rang doesn't do is recall loops. it is very much a spontaneous live tool and not at all a store and playback type looper... however, i suppose if a guy had a bunch of samples recorded and stored on an IPOD, he could feed that output to the Rang and loop it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  19. Platypus

Thanks for the great info here.

Up for more 2880 versus Boomerang comparisons :)

20. woland

woland Member

I like Live too but could you elaborate on RC50? - I was seriously thinking a bout it.