Help me buy a Marshall por favor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Nightfly27, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Nightfly27

Nightfly27 Member

Hey guys, I've come across an early '80s 50watt JCM800 2x12 combo for what I think is good money. 4104 - does that sound right? My buddy is holding it for me to check out this weekend. I've never been a Marshall guy - I always wanted one, but I never had the room or the gig to justify one. Just Fenderoids for the last 20 years... Until I heard our own Loudboy at a forum jam several years ago, rocking a Marsha/Rat/Tele salad. That kinda stuck in my melon!

How do I look under the hood of one of hese things to sniff out red flags? Transformer? Speaks? Other issues?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

NF

2. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

These were good amp with good reputations as far as quality. One thing that I notice when playing amps without reverb, especially Marshalls, is they sound very dry. It's diffiecult to explain other than sometimes they lack that fullness of a Fender and may sound odd at times when played by itself. One thing I do if I like the amp in general is have someone play some blues rythm and put it "in the mix". This may be especially true if you've been a Fender guy. Make no mistake though...the 80's 800's are fantastic amps. The louder the better, but can be controlled somewhat with the pre-amp knob.

3. mikem

mikem Senior Member

I have one of these- excellent amp. If you want it to roar, you've got to crank it. These are not super high-gain monsters like some might have you believe.

4. Nightfly27

Nightfly27 Member

Thanks Bill - I'm ready for the dry.

NF

5. Nightfly27

Nightfly27 Member

Thanks Mike. What sorta speakers is yours sporting?

NF

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Dude, thats a great amp. The 4104 is the combo version of a 2204. And from what I gather it's the same exact circuit. I've got one and it's awesome. The only thing I can knock on it for is not being foot switchable. No FX loop but I had one added. What suprised me the most are the full and meaty cleans using the low input. With my strat i'd put the cleans against any fender. And it takes pedals well, at least dirt pedals. Chorus and delays sound bad to my ears in front. But thats just my opinion. The high input can be on the bright side. Alot of guys are modding them just by snipping the bright cap. I just roll down the treble and it's good. Otherwise if you dime the pre, that capacitor is more or less bypassed. For straight up hard rock and heavy rock, this amp kills. To me it's high gain but by today's standards for high gain I guess not.I have a Jackson Soloist with a Gibson 500T in the bridge and it screams. It's very respnsive to different guitars. Gotta run it loud to open up it's charm and get the speakers moving too. A hotplate or weber mass works great for knockin down the volume. I run a greenback loaded 4x12 cab with mine. Just beautiful. You can hit the low input (clean channel) with a good OD and your golden too. The amp has Celestion G1265's in it. The amp alone does not sound as good as the 4x12. I'm actually looking for another one. Then I can run both, one for the cleans and one set up for gain and switch them with an A/B/Y box. So what kind of price are you lookin at? I got mine 6 months ago for $550.00 and I think I got a great deal. I've seen mint ones on the Bay go for $1200.00 If you buy it and don't like it, i'd be interested! Just out of curiosity, Horizontal or vertical input? From what I've researched, tonally, it doesn't matter with the 4104/ 2204 model. It did matter with the 2203's. Anyhow, to me the 4104/2204 is the nicest 800 out there. Of coarse the 2203's are just as good and some say the best 800. I don't know how it can get better than what i've got going. It actually ended a 5 year tonequest!

7. mikem

mikem Senior Member

Celestion G1265's

Mike

8. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

Mine's for sale:

[​IMG]

1984 4104 50w Lead. 2x12 all orig. w/ cover

Email or pm me

9. Alvis

Alvis Member

Great amps! Unfortunately they get "type cast" as 80s metal amps.But the truth is,they'll do it all.I have a 4104 and a 4010.They both had G 12 70s in there when I got 'em,which I don't like at all.I ran down some 65s which were a major improvement.I did a few more personal tweaks which I'm not gonna go into because I don't like to encourage that kind of behavior,but they're my favorite road ready amp.I'm using the 4104 for some roadwork at the moment and I'm very excited about it. It works well with the different guitars I like to put in it,Gibsons ,Fenders,Danelectros
    And for Marshalls these days,they're still quite affordable,may just be the best tube amp value out there

10. el34power

el34power Member

Thats pretty much it..I have never had a combo but both a 2204 and now a 2203 head and cab....
    I can add that the high input sounds great with a Chili Picoso goosing it.
    The low input sounds fantastic with a Blues pro, Crunch box and Barber DD. my 2203 isn't going anywhere...
    Out of curiosity..how much?

11. ibeagle

ibeagle Member

JCM800's are excellent value for money. Don't worry about no reverb, I have it, never use it. Tends to get messy with a bit of overdrive. I have the 4212 50w channel switching combo. The thing with these is the clean channel bleeds fully through to the overdrive channel, so the clean channel volume must be set at zero, making the channel switching feature useless. This is fine, the clean channel is not voiced like a fender at all, the overdrive is where it's at. Mike Doyle "History of Marshall" says he hardly plays any of his plexi's, prefering the channel switching JCM 800. I got mine used in '88 with G12H-100's in it. It sounds great, but better through my Shiva's Vintage 30's, but even better still through a cab with 1 vintage 30 and 1 G12H30. Smoother overdrive, better mids, more "focused". I would be more than happy with the 4104. Less is more. Can benefit from better speakers. Hope this helps.

12. 6789

6789 Member

I just bought one a few days ago. I love it. I use it for a punk guitar sound. with the preamp turned up all the way it sounds exactly like the guitars from the band Minor Threat. www.dischord.com/bands/minorthreat.shtml
    [​IMG]
    It sounds great without reverb. Mine is a 1984 white anniversary model. 50 watts 6560 power tubes, and two 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. It sounds fuller than the two 100 watt JCM 800s with a 4 x 12 marshall cab- not sure what speakers the cabs had. I also tried another JCM 2 x 12 combo with different speakers that didn't sound that good at all. and I tried a version with one 12" that sounded really bad- thin sounding - horrible sounding. maybe the ones I didn't like needed new tubes or different speakers or something. But the one I got is fantastic without any pedals. It goes from clean to AC/DC to Minor Threat. I'm playing an SG into it. when I stop strumming its perfectly quiet. when I chugg on the strings the sound swells with deep lows and cleans up then when I dig in it barks out in the coolest way. I'm totally set for my sound now. I plan to record some clips sometime. The Vintage 30 speakers are efficient and the amp is way loud. much louder than I need. It weighs a ton but sounds like a ton too.

13. Nightfly27

Nightfly27 Member

My buddy just bought it for $550, because he knew I was looking, so I'd get it for that. It has issues tho, that I think are minor: blown tube, squealing... Looks great, but smells nasty.

14. Nightfly27

Nightfly27 Member

Ha, THAT's what I want to hear! I'm getting this for a punk project.

15. 6789

6789 Member

I've never been a ROCK guitar and amp kind of guy. But recently a friend and I talked about starting a punk band. I played bass in punk bands many many many many years ago. I had always wondered how Minor Threat got that great guitar sound. I new they used Marshalls but I thought Marshalls sounded more like a Jimi Hendrix sound or heavy metal - and I don't want that at all. after some research I found they used the JCM 800 and plugged straight in - no pedals. I read in a book that originally JCM 800 combos were shipped with speakers that didn't sound so great and people upgraded the speakers - like mine. Mine nails the Minor Threat sound- I'm thrilled. when the pre amp is all the way up i get that little bit of buzzy overdrive that is just so cool. I bet most guys don't like that. when I was at the shop getting mine, the sales guys showed me another old marshall that they said sounded better. I asked what they meant by better and they said it was less buzzy and more like Jimi. I said no, I want that buzzy sound. I don't want the Jimi sound.

If the amp your friend is holding for isn't the right sound. don't give up, try other JCM 800s till you get one like mine that sounds incredible. This is the amp I wish I had 23 years ago when I was playing punk for the first time.
    then get a les paul or SG - I'm using an SG. sounds great with this amp.