Help me choose a 2x12 cab that can get close to a Vintage Marshall 4x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stephen thomas, Feb 16, 2008.

1. stephen thomas

stephen thomas Member

Hi, I currently have a Soldano SLO that has never sounded any better than when teamed up with a late 60's 4X12 loaded with Greenback speakers? Due to vehicle restraints, when playing live I can only take a 2x12 extension cab to gigs. What cab and speaker combination would get me in the ball park of my favourite sound? Unfortunately I live in the UK so I do not know if this rules out such makes as Scumback, Germino etc (although I am prepared to pay for shipping) and the fact that it is a 100w head into a 2x12 cab so the speakers really need to be 65w and above? Other options are things like Custom Audio/Orange cabs and find some Celestion G12-65's. Any thoughts??

2. joel98z

joel98z Member

How about a Hughes and Ketner switchblade.. 2x12 and 100 watts..

3. stephen thomas

stephen thomas Member

Sorry, I want to keep the Soldano and just find a good extension cab

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Talk to Alf Hermida at HAT.He has a ported 2x12 that will cause meltdown,and I believe he works with a fair number of known musos.He is the cat who also builds the Zendrive.

5. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

I have a Freda FL!112, an oversized ported 1x12 Cabinet and it sounds huge. Tons of bass, but in the right amount. Plus it's extremely light. He also makes a 2x10 and a 2x12, may be something to check out!

Freda Cabinets

6. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Freda 2x12 ported cab and it does sound excellent. Not the same as my 4x12 but bigger that most of the 2x12's I played through. Plus it is lighter than any 2x12 I have used.

7. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

I know what you mean, nothing beats the power of a good 412 to my ears. I have a closed-back 212 w/celestion greenbacks made by Reinhardt and I have to say that it does a very good job of coming close (close, I say:D) to a 412, and the last time I spoke w/ Bob Reinhardt he was in the midst of shipping an amp to someone in the UK. Worth checking out imo! :)

8. 59burstbucker

59burstbucker Supporting Member

Mojo 2x12 cab, slant or straight, with 2 Scumback M75HP's, 65w handling each.

9. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

One other thing I forgot to mention, He'll put any speaker you want/need in it!

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

My Vintone 2X12 in solid Vermont Cherry gets all the BIGNESS I could ever want, but I'm running a Bad Cat Hot Cat 100R through 1 EVM12L and 1 JBL-K120, both high efficiency drivers.
    The more you push them, the better.
    The real magic comes from the amp, but this rig would handle a stadium
    stage set-up easily.

The efficiency of the drivers makes this cab a good 1/3 louder than my Ampeg SVT 8X10.

Doug Stalters at Vintone Circuits build some of the best cabs around and he does ship worldwide.
    http://www.vintone.com/customcabs.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. bosstone

bosstone Member

What you really need is a 4 X 10" cab. They sound more like 4 X 12"'s and are usually lighter and easier to carry. They have 25% more cone area for pushing more air too.

12. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

Try a Stone Age 2X12C with Celestion Heritage 65's. I have one with an Egnater Mod 50 and it sounds fabulous. You won't get it to sound better, but close. When I had an SLO I got the best tone with a Soldano slant 4X12 cab with Vintage 30's.

13. FFTT

FFTT Member

While not quite as portable as a 2X12, I agree with bosstone.

My next cab will be a 4X10 designed with the same deep chambered construction as my Ampeg SVT 8X10.

With 2X12, 4X10 and 8X10 to choose from, there's pretty much no limit
    to the sounds I'll be able to get, unless of course I add a single 15" EV later

14. vrdyer

vrdyer Silver Supporting Member

I would recommend two cabs. A Mesa Recto 2x12. Two V30s and the cabinet dimensions really seem to accent the presence of the cab and bass output. It really holds it's own against my Marshall 4x12 with 75s in it. It's a little heavy but I hate to put casters on it. The contact with the floor seems to add to it's sound. The other is the closed back Bogner 2x12. Lighter cab, more organic sounding. Mine has one V30 and one 85watt Rivera Celestion.

15. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

Marshall 2061CX slant cab. Sounds amazingly like a 4x12

16. stephen thomas

stephen thomas Member

Thanks for the replies so far (keep them coming!!) but it is more than just a full sounding 2x12 cab I am seeking, but also trying to capture that warm woody sound that only a Vintage Marshall can achieve.

17. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

After trying MANY 2X12 cabinets, the Dr Z Z-Best 2X12 is the closest sounding to a 4X12 IMHO.

18. telewacker

telewacker Member

I went nuts trying to get a 2x12 that sounds like a 4x12 and I'm convinced it's a futile endeavor. I got closest with a THD...lot's of bottom for sure but what a good 4x12 has that no 2x12 has is perfect BALANCE. 2x12s always have a bump somewhere, usually in the low end in an attempt get the bass up. Also there is an advantage to using more speakers of a lower power handling capacity as they tend to be less harsh when pushed.

I have no data to back it up, just a gut feeling, but I also think there is something about the symmetry of an array of four speakers as opposed to two that are in either a vertical or horizontal plain. I too prefer a 4x10 to 2x12 all things being equal.

19. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I agree wholheartedly with Telewacker that there is no equivalent in a 2x12. I have 4 different 2x12's and tried several others to mate with my old Marshall 50 watter and none of them sounded like the 4x12. Ended up with an old basketweave.

The closest I found was a Mojave 2x12 which is basicaly just half of a Marshall 4x12. I don't think it offered enough in size and back breaking savings to go with it instead of a 4x12.

20. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Just curious.........have you tried the Z-Best 2X12?