Help me choose a Class A EL34 amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IPlayHamers, Jan 24, 2006.

1. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Right now I'm looking at Hughes & Ketter Puretone and Giller 20 watt heads. I'm always open to suggestions, so please help.

Guitars are Schecter C-1 with Duncans, stock Relic Tele and a Gretsch Duo Jet.

Cabinet is a Avatar with a V30 and a G12-30. Open back.

I use a old H & K Tubeman and a Fulltone wah.

Thanks

2. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R.

3. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

just out of curiosity, why does it HAVE to be a "class a" amp?

4. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Actually, the amp doesn't have to be Class A, but I'd like to keep the wattage at no more than 30.

By the way, the Puretone sounds amazing, but is a bit outta my price range unless I find a used one. The Giller is at a great price, but I've never played one. Bad Cat and Matchless are out of the question.

Honestly, I can only afford to spend between $500 and $1000. I'm poor :(

Thanks again.

5. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

May not be true hard Class A, but a Matchless Chieftan is a cool amp that uses 34s. It would sound killer with your Gretsch!!

6. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Sorry, I think we posted nearly the same time. If you're on a lower budget, then maybe think about the Fargen Bastage. It's SE class A and uses a 34.

7. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

my valvetech hayseed teefus special has a pair of cathode biased el34's and puts out something in the neighborhood of 30-40 watts. it is pretty darn cool and hard to beat at rob's prices. my other valvetech is a vac head with 2xel34's. it's a fixed bias arrangement and has a little more power but rob can do el34 amps up right, trust me.

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

Fuchs Lucky 7 is 7w and true (single ended) class A.

If you need more power try the Blackjack 21

Also Carr Mercury, 15w single ended EL34 (can take other tubes too, as can the Fuchs I believe)

9. LaXu

LaXu Member

How about an Orange Rocker 30? Over $1000 but would fit the description...

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Let's see-true class A push/pull is a pretty small group-Jackson Amp works, Alessandro, Southwest Ampworks (Scumbag)-all are out of your price range.

Cathode biased, with lower output-sure, some of those you can find in your price range.

If you can live with single ended, class A, you're in clover-most of the single tube solutions (Emery, Fuchs, Allen, THD) fall into your price range. The cost/value leader is definitely the ADA Rocket A20R-20w more or less, class A, full sized reverb, genuine plastic chassis, usually available in the $400 range if you can find one...

11. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

Are you sure? I thought it was class A/B

12. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Single ended amps (ie, one power tube) are for all intents and purposes always class A.
    Yes I know it's possible to bias it into AB, but I'm not aware of a single commercial example that is not class A.

13. shg

shg Senior Member

14. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

What does that mean? It is contradicted by your very next sentence and confused the hell out of me...

Perhaps "single ended" has been added to the list of marketing hype that implies Class A, just like cathode bias? As has already been mentioned, the list of true Class A push pull amps is much smaller than what marketing hype implies... The likes of Alessandro, Callaham, etc

15. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Supporting Member

I have a Giller head. It's a copy of a Matchless Lightning and according to Ed it's very close to identical except for the pentode-triode switch. I've never played a Matchless and I'm not an electrical engineer so I can't say if it is similar. However, Ed Giller has been VERY quick and friendly in emails, and the wiring and such are very clean. It has little noise and amazing flexibility: you can get a lot of shades of breakup from either preamp or power amp, and it definitely has that chimey, rich mids, EL84 thing. The cabinet is very bare-bones, with no Tolex or corners, though it is definitely sturdy, so keep that in mind. Sonically I have to say it is close to the Aiken Tomcat I was trying before, and that is VERY high praise. Maybe more low-end than the Tomcat but it's a different cabinet so apples to oranges. Just be prepared, if you buy it, for a head that is housed in a plain pine box! Oh, if you play Hamers, I have been mostly playing an Artist P90 into it. I don't even own a humbucker guitar, so I can't say how it responds to those. The Fulltone Fulldrive 2 works nicely with the Giller however.

16. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

In all honestly, an albeit the only good amp they ever made, get a classic 50. If they put celestions in them they would be really great amps.

17. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Can you please give me his email addy? Ed seems to be the front runner right now.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

18. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I seriously concidered the Lucky 7, but I need a bit more power and headroom. I haven't heard it, but I understand it's pretty killer.

The Blackjack 21 is a very cool amp, but I'm really leaning towards a EL34 amp or something that can swap tubes.

Thanks guys........ :)

19. amper

amper Member

Any amp with only one power tube must, by definition, be a single-ended Class A amplifier. "Class A" simply means the tube passes signal for the entire 360 degrees of a sine wave. If you have a single tube amp, it *has* to pass signal for 360 degrees, or the signal will drop, rendering the amp useless.

On the other hand, it is certainly possible to have a Class A amp in a push-pull configuration. The trouble with this is that many of the amps currently being marketed as "Class A" amps are not in fact Class A, but Class AB. Read Randall Aiken's rant on this subject for a good overview.

Class A amps do not suffer from "crossover" distortion, and push-pull amps will always have a tendency to cancel second-order harmonic distortion.

20. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are