Help me choose a great preamp....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by countandduke, Mar 16, 2006.

1. countandduke

countandduke Member

I currently have a Marshall JMP-1 that I really love but wondered what else you all might recommend. I need something with stereo effects loop, regular outs for connecting to a power amp, and a great cabinet emulated outs. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Chris

2. tfire

tfire Member

The Voodo Lab Preamp does what you're asking for, except that it doesn't have a loop.

3. countandduke

countandduke Member

Yeah, I have heard good things about that one. But, it doesn't have the loop and I need/want one.

Thanks though...

Chris

4. tfire

tfire Member

Why won't you just be putting FX between preamp and power amp?

5. countandduke

countandduke Member

So I can use the cabinet emulated outs with the effects but I guess I could always go direct with no effects.....we'll see. It's always nice just to plug in some headphones and hear a great tone.

6. pala

pala Member

This are the great ones, and they need to get cranked :dude no headphones!!

CAE 3+SE
    Soldano X88R
    Soldano X99
    Bogner Fish

Pala

7. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

My personal favorite (and the most versatile for the $$$) is the Carvin Quad-X :p

Only thing they ever made that was worth a darn IMHO (of course, they didn't design it), figures they'd quit making em'! :NUTS

Then again I own 3, so I'm covered ;)

Only other preamps worth mentioning other than the Quad-X are Soldanos, but they ain't midi controllable last time I checked...

8. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

9. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

I was checking out preamps for a friend and liked the looks of the Voodoo and the Mesa. He ended up getting a Mesa V, used. The newer ones have speaker emulation and such. Bad Cat has a 2 Tone pedal that from what I understand is a good preamp as well.

As for effects loops, are you looking to go serial or parallel? Serial means that all the output from the preamp go thru the effects, and parallel means that signal passes from the preamp to the main amp and thru the effects to the amp as well. Kinda like half and half, but basically both at the same time.

If you want serial, that is essentially the same as just plugging the effects between the preamp and the power amp.

If you want parallel, you can get a separate buffered loop similar to a Dumbleator.

-jm

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

11. pala

pala Member

More choices:
    VHT GP3, Egnater M4, ENGL 580, 570 and 530, Boogie Studio and Quad

Voodoo Lab preamp was designed by Bogner

Soldano X99 is midi, and the Soldano X88R, CAE 3+SE and Fish can be midi controled using something like an Axess CFX4 or CAE 4x4

Pala

12. countandduke

countandduke Member

Thanks for the info guys!! I believe my JMP-1 has a parallel effects loop. I like the ability to switch from a small amount of effects to a large amount just by changing presets and I can do that with the JMP-1. Trace at voodooamps is now modding the JMP-1's so I may have him do that sometime soon. Those CAE 3's look pretty darn sweet although I do have an OD-100 but it's a heavy bastard.....I am looking for something nice and portable with great tones. The JMP-1 is and has been a good friend of mine for a bit so.......

Thanks for all the input, I have also heard good things about the Groove Tubes Trio, any comments???

13. amc

amc Member

Try to find a Demeter TGP3 preamp.
    The TGP3 is the BEST preamp I have ever used

They are quite difficult to find as they were only made in limited quantities.