Help Me Choose A New Analog Delay: $700 Budget

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:38 AM.

1. p6x

p6x Member

The Deluxe Memory Man is still on Eric Johnson's pedal board; It used to be on so many other top guitar players, such as Andy Timmons.

However, they are fragile and if you rough them up, they breakdown on you. Andy switched to Strymon, but Eric still uses his.

2. p6x

p6x Member

Another vote for the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man...

3. p6x

p6x Member

Nobody proposed the Chandler SDE....

One of the best tape echo ever, unfortunately, rack format; Andy Timmons had two before he switched to the EHx DMM's and later Strymon timeline.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

So, skipping the cluster fuzz about whether BBDs are truly analog or not, much of the "sound" of an analog delay results from the compromises necessary to make them function properly-the filters and the limited headroom. In general, the filters make things darker than a tape or digital delay-using an MN3005 to get 300 msec, the corner frequency of the delay has to be in the 1500-3000 Hz range, which is pretty dark.

So, there are a few choices the OP can look at:
    1. A delay with a longer maximum length run at shorter length will generally be somewhat brighter as the filter doesn't have to come down as hard. You'll get a million suggestions but generally DMMs are brighter than other choices.

2. You can make a similar sound by using the same filters and an external feedback loop. This is the route that the SIB Red delay takes, as well as the new Eventide Rose pedal. It can give a very analog like delay. In particular the SIB Red has a REALLY good preamp that makes it both bright and very analog sounding

3. Of course you can model anything in a completely digital environment and it can sound really good, but you already know that because you've tried that route.

MrFuzzTone likes this.
  5. stagolee

stagolee Silver Supporting Member

I need to finally try one of these. I think I can reconcile it with my desire to downsize, too, since I’ll probably have to sell three pedals to get one o_O

6. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

I've owned a couple. The Deluxe Memory Boy I don't think would be down your alley. It's very dark (one of the reasons I didn't like it).

I tried the Way Huge Supa Puss next. The Supa Puss is quite a quirky, interactive delay, but it sounds fantastic. Really, really good. Provided you get the most recent revision (there were a few early quirks that took a couple goes to iron out - imbalanced mix, too early oscillation, etc). Can be really nice and clean and clear, DMM style, but warms up nicely too.

I currently have the Rubberneck. I moved to the Rubberneck more for features than tonal reasons; the subdivision options worked better for me, and I really like the on tap oscillation and rubbernecking features. It doesn't sound quite as good as the Supa Puss; the repeats are a bit more low-mid-rangey, but definitely not as dark as a standard CC or the EHX Deluxe Memory Boy (though it can probably get there). It's more of a punchy sound. I don't think it gets to DMM clarity though. I think from what you're after tone-wise, the Rubberneck could be a good fit for you.

I've never owned, but have played a DMM multiple times as well.

If I could package up the Supa Puss sound with the Rubberneck features, that to me would be the perfect analog delay. But the Rubberneck gets close enough soundwise for me that it's worth keeping around. I'd really like to try the 80Tape In Limbo III Compact as well.
    The Rubberneck lacking in build quality? What makes you say that? I feel like it's extremely solid in that area.

Mosley, PhuzzphayzZ and Tabor like this.
  7. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I don't think anyone proposed it because it's not analog.

Tabor likes this.
  8. stagolee

stagolee Silver Supporting Member

Right. They would never think of doing something like that ;)

Tabor and dhdfoster like this.
  9. LPSupreme11

LPSupreme11 Member

JHS Panther V1- Very underrated

[​IMG]JHS Panther Sea-foam Green by GibsonFender11, on Flickr

SubApathy likes this.
  10. George72

George72 Member

This thread is like being a vegan and going to my parents’ for dinner.
    ‘I know you don’t eat meat so I made you a tuna casserole’.
    ‘...‘
    ‘Oh you don’t eat any meat or fish or dairy? Weird but here’s an omelette.’
    ‘...‘
    ‘Ok ok, I get it finally. Well here’s a bowl of chocolate ice cream for dessert.’

11. Abandoned

Abandoned Tweed Tube Tone Purist Silver Supporting Member

this made me laugh so hard

George72 likes this.
  12. Abandoned

Abandoned Tweed Tube Tone Purist Silver Supporting Member

So I tried a friends Carbon Copy tonight , just an hour after I tried the ARDX20... I def like the CC better. The tone of the repeats by themselves is so good.
    It can muddy up the sound though when playing chords and stuff. Maybe the deluxe is the way to go, or maybe a regular and a deluxe would complete the picture

13. Eveningtheme

Eveningtheme Member

[​IMG]

14. jthomps123

jthomps123 Supporting Member

15. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

I would like to try stacking the MLDLX, with my Counterpoint delay, for playing slide and electric.

YMMV

awallace and louisnd like this.
  16. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

If you’re thinking of two don’t forget about the Carbon Copy Mini. It also has the bright switch (located on the side) so you could run the Mini in bright mode and a standard CC for the regular sound.

17. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

When did this most recent revision start? Any way to tell if a used one is recent enough to have these modifications included?

18. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

Uh... pretty early on. So most units out there should be the newer revision. There is a way to check I believe; there's a thread on here somewhere that talks about it. I think you hold down a couple of switches while powering on, but you'd have to search on here for the thread. Basically, one of the first users (also a member here), @theroan wasn't happy with some of the ways the Supa Puss was acting. So Way Huge modified it for everyone, but it took them a couple of goes. I think within 6 months they were shipping out theroan mod version. I think as well if you have an earlier version, you can send it in to them to update as well.

Mosley and Tabor like this.
  19. grritz

grritz Supporting Member

Source Audio Nemesis. I know...not analog. Really? Can you really hear the difference?

20. saddletramp77

saddletramp77 Member

One Maxon AD999, one Chasebliss Tonal Recall, one used Donner.