Help Me Choose A New Analog Delay: $700 Budget

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:38 AM.

1. Spanndrew

Spanndrew Member

The chase bliss Thermae is my favorite analog delay. It does a lot of additional stuff, but at its core it is a stellar analog delay with amazing modulation.

hippieboy and George72 like this.
  2. sleep

sleep Member

Differing opinion, I am a fan of analog delay, I didn’t like the Moog one at all. I would opt for a DM-2 over the Moog. Plus the moog is huge.

I am a fan of moog synths, but I have not liked any of their pedals.

3. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

I have a handful. I like the Carbon Copy. It is a bit dark. The Aquapuss is brighter - more of a surf guitar sound.

The one on my board now is a Belle Epoch. The Adineko is nice, too. But I guess those are digital.

Abandoned and grritz like this.
  4. Agramal

Agramal Supporting Member

Just my two cents: I picked up a vintage DMM once in a trade and just couldn't bond with it. Didn't help that it was very noisy. Sold it for a nice chunk of change and used a part of the proceeds to buy a just-released Carbon Copy, which is still on my board.

phractus and Tabor like this.
  5. AndyBurns

AndyBurns Member

You should get 7 used Carbon Copys

hippieboy and phractus like this.
  6. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

I haven't tried some of the analog delays that have come out in the last few years, but among those that came out before 2015 or so, I still think the ones based on the MN3005 or MN3008 tend to reign supreme by a decent margin. Among the ones with modulation, I agree that the Diamond MLII and the Deluxe Memory Man are particularly good, with the Diamond being the all around winner for me. Regarding the DMM, there's no magic in the older ones in my opinion: my TT-550 sounds great, runs on 9v, and is quieter than many of the older DMMs I've used. Not as quiet as the DMLII, though.

Personally I feel the Carbon Copy was nice for the price when it came out, but it just doesn't compete with a lot of other delays when I play them side by side -- Maxons from the 2000s, vintage Ibanez and Maxon units, DMMs, etc.

awallace likes this.
  7. p6x

p6x Member

The only true analog delay is the Echoplex tape delay;

All the other delays use solid state circuitry to mimic analog delays. The EHx MM is also in that category.

But maybe my understanding is wrong; what makes a true analog delay for you?

8. George72

George72 Member

Ugh that’s a big can of worms- check out this thread about that. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...me-domain-discuss-amongst-yourselves.2117653/
    My take is that, yes, only tape delays (which include many more than just Echoplexes: Korg, Roland, Watkins etc) and drum delays like Echorecs are truly analog, in that they use electromagnetic technology to create an analog of the wave form in both the time and amplitude dimensions. Bucket Brigade Devices- which are what power most of the pedals mentioned here- do capture the magnetic charge of the wave form in the amplitude dimension but discretely sample it in the time dimension. So analog in amplitude dimension, but not in the time dimension. But also not truly digital in the time dimension, since the discrete time sampling isn’t quantized in a binary fashion. Now half the people in this thread are going to call bs on this and say ‘of course they’re analog!’ and another group will agree with me while accepting that when talking about delays ‘analog’ is vernacular for BBD and carry on.

smiert spionam, stagolee and Tabor like this.
  9. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

I've been an analog fan forever. The Eventide Rose is a hybrid of analog and digital but it has the vibe. The DMM and the Rose are my favorites. Don't let the digital scare you.

10. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I agree that BBD delays are debatable as true analog, but the Chandler has "digital" right in the name of it. I was just answering why people probably didn't suggest it in this thread.

BTW, there are lots of tape delays besides the Echoplex, and not all delays use solid state to mimic analog sounds. Many use DSP.

stagolee likes this.
  11. hotei

hotei Member

I like the flashback mini. But since no one has mentioned it, maybe it’s digital but sounds good to me.

12. stagolee

stagolee Silver Supporting Member

We made a nice thread (that @George72 was kind enough to link) so that we don’t have to waste space in other threads on that tangent.

This is not aimed at any particular individual post. Is it sufficient to say that we all know what people mean by “analog” delay in this context, which would include BBD circuits with all their quirks?

Can we agree to avoid bombarding “analog” delay threads with DSP based pedals? When someone is after a nice, bright digital delay, nobody chimes in with a pedantic plea for consideration of BBD options because they are “digital”.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 7:31 PM
    smiert spionam, WWW, Jerome and 3 others like this.
  13. losrogers

losrogers Member

Delay Llama Xtreme & Belle Epoch Deluxe (yes, digitally controlled but still..)

Edit: okay then BBD. Maxon AD-999 Pro with Jam Pedals Delay Llama Xtreme.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 7:46 PM
  14. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

More than just digital control: fully digital delay line too... we’re looking for BBD not DSP in this thread.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 7:33 PM
  15. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Mod Squad Staff Member

Moderators don’t see anything unless it’s actually Reported......like this thread just was. TGP is a Member Policed Forum since 4 Volunteer Mods and 2 Admin’s could not possibly read the thousands of threads and posts created weekly on this forum. Before calling out the Mod Staff, it would be better to simply hit the Report link.

Thank you.

*Mod Edit:
    Posts removed, Infraction issued. Thread now open.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 7:23 PM
  16. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

yup, digital.

17. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

you guessed right :aok

18. Pope Murphy

Pope Murphy Member

I am so confused...

19. brs928

brs928 Supporting Member

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 8:44 PM
  20. p6x

p6x Member

I quoted the Chandler SDE because this was at the time the closest in tone to an Echoplex.
    It would have been helpful if you had linked the exact thread you wanted to be used as the reference between what is acceptable as digital and analog.
    I thought the OP was interested in getting the best possible tape delay simulation.
    I own both a Chandler SDE and a Memory Man. The Chandler beats the Memory Man, but it is not a pedal.

Now I appologize to have been off subject and to have irritated you.