1. The target date for the upgrade is **TOMORROW** Tuesday, August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.

Help Me Choose A New Analog Delay: $700 Budget

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Jun 29, 2020.

1. stagolee

stagolee Silver Supporting Member

No apology necessary. As I stated, my comments were not directed at a particular post, including yours.

I am curious, though, how you came to the conclusion the OP was after another tape delay. He has a volante that he enjoys, right? He is now after an analog delay, not unlike the carbon copy but not as dark. He wants “medium dark repeats”, not clean but not muddy - what that means is for us to all help as we can. What he doesn’t want is another DSP pedal.

2. Ozzie31220

Ozzie31220 Member

How about there Ibanez Delay Mini. Punches way above its weight in my opinion. High quality tone & build at a super reasonable price. I found mine to be brighter than the Carbon Copy. Give it a shot.

George72 likes this.
  3. cnunlist

cnunlist Member

If the Carbon Copy is a bit dark for you try the SD Vapor Trail - fantastic analog delay.

Abandoned likes this.
  4. Abandoned

Abandoned Tweed Tube Tone Purist Silver Supporting Member

Vapor trail is on the list too now. Thanks for the suggestion! It does sound good on demos.

5. Abandoned

So the Chase Bliss Tonal Recall seems to be a popular one and I’ve checked out many demos of it and I’m just not intrigued at all by its base, core tone. I know demos can’t show you everything and I’m sure it’s great but I do like other delays from demos so I’m currently scratching the Chase Bliss off the ideas list for now.

earwax and Blue Bee like this.
  6. macmax77

macmax77 Member

Big Box Dmm, Xo, Delay LLama

7. Abandoned

this is great to know. I’ve seen the fragility comments a decent amount when searching and doing research on the DMM’s. Since I’d be traveling as well with it, makes me wonder if I should.

8. Abandoned

9. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip Gold Supporting Member

+1 for the Way Huge Supa Puss...and they’re way under that $700 budget. The tone can definitely be set brighter than a CC, but you can dial in plenty of warm grit too.

10. MrFuzzTone

MrFuzzTone Member

Walrus Audio Bellwether
    For some reason I like the blue SIB Echodrives. I have 2 of them and a red one.
    I like the aesthetics of analog delays. I also have a Moog 104-M and 104-MSD
    And a pile of memory man delays with MN3005 BBD chips.

11. George72

George72 Member

Bellwether is great, surprised I forgot about it.

12. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides!

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    +1. DOD Rubberneck FTW!

Not Orange likes this.
  13. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

Seeing as I juuust gotz me a DigitalSuperDelay, that now frees up ole Rubberneck for Moar Xcitement!!

I never really got a chance to give Rubby a thorough swabbing before relegating it to 'Pad' duty in the Send/Return.

Threads like this reeeally lay on the Rubby GAS, whew!

14. eternally found

eternally found Member

The last pedal I'll sell is my DMMTT 1100. It's "the one"! Had nothing to do with tape delay either, in fact I don't really think it sounds like tape delays (the ones I've tried anyways, but perhaps the DMM big boxes are more like tape?). Anyways, it's got a weight and heft to the repeats, much like a DD5 (which I know you're familiar with). Best modulation ever as well.

With that budget you can grab one with Pano chips!

15. seanp33

seanp33 Member

May be tough to lug around so it’s probably more of a studio tool and also out of budget but this is about as analog as it gets.

Not Orange, friend33, junu and 4 others like this.
  16. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

I really, really wanted to like it. I like CB stuff and I like all of the options...but it was not like my DMM. Which means it is perfect for someone who wants something with full control and is making new sounds, I just wanted a DMM with midi. Good luck with your search, we will be watching.

Abandoned likes this.
  17. Abandoned

thanks so much, so many ideas to roll around.

18. Frond

Frond Member

not true; the Dmmtt1100 is very bright.

earwax likes this.
  19. 100JH

100JH Member

Dont limit yourself to "pure analog" there are many hybrid pedals (AD>DA) that are absolutely silent and have gorgeous tone

20. Abandoned

I’m continuing to try things out where I can.
    I’ve had the chance to throughly work the MXR Carbon Copy and man, that pedal just sounds and feels so good. I’m gonna be picking one of those up for sure. I don’t know what version yet (mini, bright, DLX).

I’ve also tried some other ones at local stores and the MXR Carbon Copy stands out as the one I like the most.

I have not tried a big box dmm or diamond ML2 yet, for a couple reasons. From watching a lot of demos online they just don’t seem to appeal to me enough to fork out that amount of cash for a risk adventure on something that doesn’t overly excite me from demos. The Carbon Copy demos seem accurate to my playing them in person experience, which makes me feel that the demos I’ve been listening to on the big boy analog delays would be a similarly accurate as well. @delay dude has some great demos on YouTube. Plus the risk of a high investment on something that hasn’t piqued my interest from demos, plus the huge physical size, high power requirements, and limitations of controls (compared to digital modeling)... it just makes it hard to make the jump, especially when I really like the MXR Carbon Copy.
    If I had the opportunity to play them in person that would be great, but I don’t.

Anyways - I’ve also tried Chase Bliss, Maxon, Analogman, DMM XO, etc.

This might be the first time I found something I loved on the cheap side, lol... imagine that.

I’ll still be trying to check out the big boys in person but until then... MXR Carbon Copy is the one for me right now.

I wanna thank everyone for all their help and suggestions. It’s been very fun going in this journey and trying and/or checking things out.