• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Help Me Choose A New Analog Delay: $700 Budget

chandra

BYOC Echo Royal would be cool.

Carbon Copy Deluxe, Rubberneck, Meet Maude. Go for something goofy and interesting.

adolan

Klemt Echolette (this one is early 60s) Best Analog Delay I have played/heard, beautiful tube preamp too, for great break up too, this thing is in a class of its own, a lil more than $700 these days but man...nothing sounds quite like it...

Jr Deluxe

Someone is going to see you coming and part you with that money. If a delay cost more than a couple hun then run. That's all I'm sayin.

He_Ma

Hey guys

It’s that time again, time for a time machine... delay specifically.

I was on this mission about 12-15 months ago and landed on a Volante. Great delay and I’ve enjoyed it.

I recently plugged into a MXR Carbon Copy and it’s given me the major GAS for analog delay. The MXR Carbon Copy is GREAT, sometimes it’s too dark though. I may pick one up anyway.

I’ve got a $700 budget. So I can basically afford most analog delay options. I’d like modulation too. I’m basically considering most popular options (MXR CC, Boss DM-2, DMM versions, Moog, etc.)

Random question: for those that love the DMM tone... is it cuz it was intended to replicate tape delay.
Didn't read the whole thread if this suggestion was already given, but did you check Carbon copy bright?

Slevin

Silver Supporting Member
700? Well then the only answer is the moog 104m or 104z.

there’s nothing as good.

johnetone

Oh, OP...you already know what you’re going to do.

You’re going to buy most, if not all, of the top contenders here. Then 29 days later, several super lucky retailers will get a return request and you’ll get a full refund on the ones that didn’t cut it.

Ah yes, I remember these threads fondly.

And to think, we just had the privilege of this exact thread three weeks ago...
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/all-things-mxr-carbon-copy.2155339/

And this nice one, from last year...
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/time-for-a-new-delay.2070520/
We’ve been bamboozled.

Butch1970

If the OP is diggin' the Carbon Copy but is worried about it being a tad dark, seems like the next things to try are either the CC Bright or CC Deluxe. Should be easy enough to find in a shop. That would also leave almost enough money to hunt and find a good deal on a used tape delay (since I'm spending the OP's money...).

Chad11491

I know you said analog, but if the CC is too dark for you, don't rule out PT2399 based delays either. It may be digital but it has a nice analog feel to it. I love delays, they're my favorite effect to build and play with. My personal favorite at the moment is the earthquaker space spiral clone I built. Take a look at those. You can dial it in to have crazy, subtle, or no modulation.

For analog I really like the DOD Rubberneck. The tone control will help you out if you find analog dark. It can be dark like the CC if you want or clear and crisp. Plus with the blowout prices they're pretty cheap at the moment.

Another vote for the Carbon Copy Deluxe from me. IME, it’s the quintessential analog delay with excellent tones and all the features you need. Perfection.

Bighump

The Strymon Brigadier is a Dbucket Delay and is pretty damn nice if i say so myself. It has some amazing modulation as well.

Malekko Ekko 616
Way back when these were all first hitting the scene a decade ago or so, this is what I ended up with because I felt like the carbon copy was a little too dark.

I have since realized that I don't care that much about an analog BBD being dark since compared to anything else they're all very dark. So I would probably go with something iconic (big box DMM?) with a strong resale value in your price range and see how it fits.

rickt

Platinum Supporting Member
I've had one of these for years. I still own it. It is my favorite pedal form delay. It is a mix of analog and digital. The inputs are converted to digital for delay processing and back to analog through a 12ax7 tube to the output.

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member
Analogman ARDX20 with AMAZE1.
I'd say this is probably the best choice. I've owned one and sold it. Regret it. One of the best sounding analog delays you can buy (IMO) and give's multiple options with amaze1. Leaves you $300+ to buy something else.

slowerhand

Silver Supporting Member
I'd get a DMM TT1100 and 2-3 times "close proximity with a hooker", as it's called in The Pub nowadays.

Trending Topics