• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Help Me Choose A New Analog Delay: $700 Budget

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
I've had one of these for years. I still own it. It is my favorite pedal form delay. It is a mix of analog and digital. The inputs are converted to digital for delay processing and back to analog through a 12ax7 tube to the output.

This one just popped on my radar, not that I need another delay pedal. Is the delay digital, then? I assumed it was BBD?

dg87

Just wait for the Diamond Memory Lane Deluxe, it has a EQ control for the repeats and a bunch of useful features. It’s a true gigging machine.

jm9239

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve had a ton of analog delays. My favorite out of all of them is the Moog MF-104M. There’s just something special about it. The repeats are so organic, warm, and just melt away.

pup tentacle

Gold Supporting Member
Out of the ones I own, I'm sticking with the TT1100 if I can only use one and need modulation, which is something OP wants. I see the EAR and Maude as great for ambient and craziness, but not really sole delays. ADs have no mod. Moogs are the greatest ever when it comes to quality of repeats and modulation, headroom, etc, but 2-3x the budget depending on which version. Big box DMM is the greatest for exactly what it does, but very limited beyond that. RKM is my second choice, with more functions than the others and perfect voicing for blending in to any level signal IME... a vast array of abilities, but the repeats can't get as thick as the TT1100. It also doesn't get very close to a DMM sound, which is on the list. Using the whole 7 hundo, I'd go with EAR or Maude, AND the TT1100.

DM-2W
Rubberneck
104m
104mSD
AD999
AD900
EAR4096 II
Meet Maude
DMM TT1100 MN3005 Panasonic
DMM 90's external adapter MN3005 no mods
Xvive Memory
Tonal Recall RKM

Last edited:

rickt

Platinum Supporting Member
This one just popped on my radar, not that I need another delay pedal. Is the delay digital, then? I assumed it was BBD?
The Blue Echodrive is all analog. The Red Echodrive uses digital circuitry to process the delays. The tube output, to me, is what really sells it as an analog device. The tube really warms up the tone.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
@cookieshoes

ah, the pleasure of skepticism and criticism.

you are incorrect on multiple levels.

1.) I don’t know what I’m gonna do yet, that’s why I’m getting info / suggestions here. Isn’t this why TGP is here... to discuss gear?

2.) This thread is different than the CC thread in more ways than one.

3.) I won’t be buying several delays and returning them as I loathe the process of returning items.

4.) Last year I was searching to change my delay section and was interested in analog and tape ... and I ended up on a volante. It was actually the only one I remember buying and never returned it or tried anything else after I got it cuz I loved it. In this thread I’m merely looking at analog delays, and the sky is the limit basically vs the price range of carbon copy.

100JH

My next purchase $500 new...to me? Gorgeous tone. No tap tempo though

Older version $400 used

Last edited:

Bryan T

guitar owner
Double Platinum Member
My three favorite delays, regardless of tech or price: EHx Deluxe Memory Man, Fulltone Tube Tape Echo, Eventide Rose.

Of those, only the DMM is in your budget and analog.

Reactions: p6x

Jimpage

Not exactly sure what they go for these days, but the real beast would be finding a big-box DMM modded with 4 mn3005 chips to have close to a second of delay time. Good luck finding one though, so I’d settle for a big box or DMMTT1100 with the Panasonic chips. They’ll sound wonderful and you won’t be left wondering if you can find a better analog delay.

Teal_66

For me, there's nothing better than a Strymon El Capistan. It also sounds good as an outboard effect in the studio.
I've had mine for YEARS.

HighRoller

JAM Pedals' Delay Llama+ is a nice choice. The pedal has a hold switch for infinite oscillating repeats. Awesome!

100JH

Gurus and the EchoLTD are not analog..
Understood... once I get mine in? I can almost positive that it's going to beat my Howard Davis modded 90s DMM, tone wise. Have you owned any of their products? Absolutely excellent

zacmac

Hey guys

It’s that time again, time for a time machine... delay specifically.

I was on this mission about 12-15 months ago and landed on a Volante. Great delay and I’ve enjoyed it.

I recently plugged into a MXR Carbon Copy and it’s given me the major GAS for analog delay. The MXR Carbon Copy is GREAT, sometimes it’s too dark though. I may pick one up anyway.

I’ve got a $700 budget. So I can basically afford most analog delay options. I’d like modulation too. I’m basically considering most popular options (MXR CC, Boss DM-2, DMM versions, Moog, etc.)

Random question: for those that love the DMM tone... is it cuz it was intended to replicate tape delay.
If you want slapback DM-2 is the best. I haven't played any botique clones that sound as robust (i have not played analogman's)
for long delays a DMM is great.
At your budget of $700 I would just get both and call it a day.

Pre Malone

Silver Supporting Member
Bondi Art Van Delay.

Analog, 1200 ms delay time, modulation, tap tempo, two presets (plus more with midi) midi control over everything, expression. Less than 700 bucks, too.

Sounds great!
I've wanted to try that one for awhile

Trending Topics