Help Me Choose A New Analog Delay: $700 Budget

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:38 AM.

1. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

I tried the Bondi Art Van Delay but found it way too dark sounding.

2. MDrummey

MDrummey Member

always been a big fan of the Maxon AD-999

3. prototype

prototype Member

Best pedalboard delay setup for any amount of money (no racks or echoplexes) is gonna be a Deluxe Memory Man + one of the newer more full featured delays like a Timefactor or DD500.

DMM does the analog, almost tape-ish sound that everyone loves with a killer modulation section, but IMO does not sound good for higher gain stuff and soloing. Timefactor can give you a clean, tweakable delay for modern sounding stuff, as well as all kinds of newer sounds that you can't get out of older boxes, as well as looping functionality. Newer stuff like the DD500/DD200 and EHX Grand Canyon also gives you a bunch of options but i have not tried them out.

4. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, simple but effective

SkydogFan81 likes this.
  5. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

Belle Epoch Deluxe or wait for the new Boonar Tube Deluxe

6. Phineas Ball

Phineas Ball Fuzz Silver Supporting Member

Pladask Taken.

Someone might bust it for being digital, but it behaves in every way like an analog delay - most especially in its tone.

7. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

Absolutely killed my delay GAS.

8. Chrishash

Chrishash Supporting Member

Not analog, but with that budget I’d take a look at the Erica Synths Zen delay. Could almost get a Chase Bliss Tonal Recall AND Zen Delay, be set for life.

George72 likes this.
  9. bertramladner

bertramladner Supporting Member

From what I've gathered when I was on the hunt:
    the top analog delays are AD-80, AD-900, DM-2, Deluxe Memory Man vintage, MooG MF-104, Memory Lane 2, Analogman ARDX20, the Endangered Audio, Meet Maude, Retro-Sonic

I've had most of them, I like the AD-900

Rob303 and Blue Bee like this.
  10. temple12

temple12 Noodler Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

Dammit. I have to stop looking in this forum. Now I have two more pedals I need to check out.

11. Skeiron

Skeiron Member

I went through several BBD pedals. I only own 2 now. Big box DMM w/MN3008 calibrated by Howard Davis and DOD Rubberneck.

Abandoned and hw2nw like this.
  12. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

So @Abandoned, you've gotten a whole bunch of recommendations so far... anything you're leaning toward?

I still think that many of the analog (BBD) delay options offered are going to be too dark for you given that you sometimes find the Carbon Copy too dark. I'm still thinking the DMM or Carbon Copy Deluxe would be good options given what you describe. The Supa-Puss and Memory Lane 1 or 2 might also work.

stagolee likes this.
  13. Abandoned

Abandoned Tweed Tube Tone Purist Silver Supporting Member

I tried the ARDX20 today locally. Great sounding delay, seems DM-2-esque.
    While it’s great and high quality - it’s not quite what I’m looking for.

looking at a DMM, ML2, CC, DOD RN currently.

Tabor likes this.
  14. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

That is definitely one that I figured would be too dark for you. It's in the DM2 / Maxon kind of camp tonally. Darker than a CC.

Rubberneck is fairly clear. There isn't a lot of smear between the repeats compared to most BBD delays and it can be fairly bright from what I member.

Not considering the CC Deluxe? You'd probably like having the bright switch.

15. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

Man, spend $400 on an old DMM and you'll have some extra cheddar to grab something else too!

p6x likes this.
  16. Abandoned

Abandoned Tweed Tube Tone Purist Silver Supporting Member

I’m thankful for all the recommendations. It’s helped me see things outside the normal paradigm of great analog delays.

There’s been such a great plethora of responses I also haven’t been able to read through all of them yet either. It’s been pretty busy in my life lately but I’m working my way through them.

Yeah so basically I generally like medium dark repeats and I honestly don’t like them perfectly clean, I like a medium amount of grit in those repeats as well. And then beautiful modulation is important to me. This is why it seems like a carbon copy and ML2 are top contenders for me as well as a DMM.
    I am considering the carbon copy deluxe still, I’m open to any carbon copy actually

Tabor likes this.
  17. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

I tried to like the Ardx20 but didn’t. The CC seemed maybe darker but more exciting character and tone. The RN is a bit more exciting but is lacking in build quality. DMMs can have quality issues and need routine repairs and maintenance, the Big box enclosure although tanks rust and labels scratch very easily too. Diamond ML2 has amazing build quality and superb tone with minimal maintenance, That one is by far the highest quality of all those listed in which I’ve tried em all.

dg87 and Tabor like this.
  18. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Not analog.

hippieboy and Tabor like this.
  19. stagolee

stagolee Silver Supporting Member

I’m trying to think of a time that someone posted a thread looking for a nice digital delay, and a whole bunch of folks couldn’t keep themselves from listing a hundred analog options that are “better”.

... can’t think of one. Yet every single “analog” discussion is littered with reminders of why this or that digital pedal is so good it should be considered anyway.

Most analog purists at least seem quite happy to not conform to popular opinion, and leave others to their own boards. What is it about some of you digital die-hards that it isn’t enough that you love it, but we all have to “get it” as well?

We understand. You love ‘strymon’. Great. Please open youself up to the possibility that (1) one can appreciate non-digital things and digital things, and discuss one or the other sometimes and (2) it’s even possible to have experienced and not like ‘strymon’ (gasp).

Rant over. I truly love all of you. This rant is offered with love.

adolan, dshobe, babbyb and 2 others like this.
  20. Lupus87

Lupus87 Member

I'd suggest cut in winner pedal from the $1400 analog delay thread in half