Help me choose a new Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MajorSuccess, Dec 23, 2012.

1. MajorSuccess

MajorSuccess Member

Hey guys. As the title says, I'm buying a new tele in the come weeks. My maximum price is about $1500, so I'm looking for suggestions! I've been looking into a few options. Either spend all my money on one of the nice AVRI/Deluxe Teles/'72 Custom, save a couple hundred and get a USA Standard, save a lot of money and get a USA Special, or get a '72 Deluxe RI and a Squier Classic Vibe Tele. I'm really interested in Jazzmasters too, but I feel like the Tele will be better for my needs/what I play. Maybe get a CP Jazzmaster and a USA Special Tele?

I'd love input from anyone who has one of those Teles, or who has a Jazzmaster and wants to convince me to go that route.

What I Play: Ambient/Post-rock, Blues, and Jazz (learning).
    Gear: Vox AC15C1, Fender John Mayer Strat, lots of pedals

2. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

Here is my suggestion and why.
    Find a nice Classic Player Baja.

The bridge is a straight up Broadcaster pickup tone

The #2 possition is a classic Tele middle possition tone

The #2 possition with the S-1 switch in is lending a good vibe towards a Strat #2 possition

The #3 possition is a standard Tele neck but with the Twisted Tele pickup it leans towards a Strat neck pickup tone and is very balanced with the bridge pickup

The #4 possition is the two pickups in series, which gives a nice fat warm tone kind of halfway between a Les Paul neck and a Les Paul middle possition, depending on how far back you roll the tone knob.

The #4 possition with S-1 pushed in is an out of phase tone that some find very usefull, but I don't really.

But given that a Tele already is said to be a versatile guitar that covers alot of ground, the S-1 really adds to that on the Baja, plus that fat neck really provides some nice piano like tones from the bridge pickup when you roll the tone back a bit.

$0.02

3. jerryratpack

jerryratpack Gold Supporting Member

4. MajorSuccess

MajorSuccess Member

Thanks Jerry. Appreciate it - I'll check it out now.

5. KrisHayes

KrisHayes Member

I agree. The Baja is very impressive. Will be picking one up myself in the near future.

6. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

+1000 on the Baja.
    I've owned a ton of Teles. Several Fender standards, Thin Skin' and a custom shop. Also an Anerson, Suhr and K-Line.

My 7.1 pound Baja is my fav.

Don't let the MIM fool you as to the quality, feel and sound.
    Chris Flemming of the Fender Custom Shop designed it. Has Custom Shop pickups, Broadcaster bridge and Twisted Tele neck. Cool S-1 switching too.
    Fat neck with a 9.5" radius with med jumbo frets.

Only thing I changed on mine was adding Glendale Brass compensated saddles for better intonation. Which I would do to any Tele that didn't come with compensated saddles.

Plus, they are less than half your budget new.

7. custom53

custom53 Member

I agree..! With any guitar..!

8. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

9. dughaze

dughaze Member

I'd be playing all the American Standards and Deluxes I could find and get one....a used one.

The best Telecasters I've had were American Standards and I've played a few American Deluxes I've liked also.

10. VigilAndy

VigilAndy Member

Check out the G&L ASATs. They're in your price range and will beat the quality of any Fender in that range IMO.

11. MajorSuccess

MajorSuccess Member

Definitely true. Just a matter of looking for specific guitars first. I've been keeping an eye on the American Special, as well as Bajas. I'm looking at lot at used guitars as well.

12. Steve,o

Steve,o Member

+1. Check out the Bluesboy ASAT.

13. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

+1.

Baja in a VERY solid second (especially for the price...)

14. 73Fender

73Fender Member

You need to decide if you want a vintage or modern type Tele. If you like the vintage deal, find a used 52RI, they are sweet. Hot Rod Teles if you want a humbucker...so many choices. And Yes, Bajas are very highly regarded. Play a bunch first.

Edit to add, the guys on the Tele forum are ga ga over the new "pure vintage" 52 reissues, supposedly the neck is like a Nocaster and most are really light weight. Fender seems to be putting a big effort into the new line of reissues, 52s, 58s and 64s. And deals are out there for less than the posted prices if you ask. Good deals on the old 52 RIs which are discontinued.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  15. wagdog

wagdog Member

I was in the market for a tele a couple years ago and ended up getting a baja, new.

Really glad I did, very nice sounding and playing guitar. I really dig the S1 switch - don't use the out-of-phase settings often, but it really hits a cool spot. Like the 4-way switch as well. Again, don't use the series setting often, but it's nice to have.

Mine is pretty light, GREAT neck.
    Some clips:

long, w/fender mustang amp
    https://soundcloud.com/wagdog-1/voodootele

s-1 switch with chorus
    https://soundcloud.com/wagdog-1/baja-s-1switch-chorus

[​IMG]

16. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Baja is an excellent and versatile Tele. Love mine.

17. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Member

Hold out for a used Nocaster. Might take a while but it's worth the wait; They do pop up for that price every now and then.

18. geddyentwistle

geddyentwistle Member

play a bunch and play some G&Ls