Help me choose a reverb pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitar_lab, Feb 25, 2012.

1. guitar_lab

guitar_lab Member

I had a Malekko Spring Chicken and I can't lie. The thing sounds good. It has some of mojo that just enhances the way drive pedals sound into it. I suppose that makes it less transparent, but in a good, almost trashy way. The volume drop was REALLY annoying and it was worth a bundle so I sold it.

I talked with the Lee Jackson guys about Mr Springgy since it also used the Beldin (SP?) chip and they promised no volume drop. It is an amazing sounding reverb clean or with a compressor pedal, but I don't like how it alters my drive and fuzz tones. It is subtle, but you loose some body or something. Hard to explain. Will likely sell this.

I've read the other reverb threads on here and other forums. I am looking at either the WET or WAMPLER FAUX REVERB. Can anyone help me out here?

2. kmcw

kmcw Member

Just bought Wet based on reviews on here. I was also choosing between it and the Wampler. Had the Holy Grail nano and have owned the Boss RV-5. The Wet arrived two days ago and I've had a couple chances to play with it and recorded it yesterday. It sounds FANTASTIC. Definitely a different sounding reverb then one's I've owned previously but its very versatile and NO volume drop or negative effect on my tone when I turn it on. I went with the stereo one and love the tone control but I think I would love it without it as well.

I know the Wampler verb would be much more of a typical spring sound, so if that's what you're looking for it might be the best bet. I've always loved spring verbs but don't think i'll miss them for awhile :)

3. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

Can't go wrong with the Wet, or, for something more versatile, the Strymon Bluesky ($300 though..)

4. joe_k

joe_k Member

I got a blue sky a few days ago and am very pleased. I think you need to go check out clips of the wet because it sounds to me you want spring reverb which the wet isn't.

I would look into a blue sky or RRR. If you want something super versatile i am selling an alesis quadraverb. Pm if you're interested. I also have a trex tonebug reverb im getting rid of pretty cheap but that might be a step sideways rather than up.

5. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Yeah the Wet is definitely in the category of ambient reverb types. With the BlueSky you can get more traditional sounding reverbs as well as ambient textures.
    But if you want amazing ethereal ambient reverb - only the Wet will do - its the best. Trust me. I spent hours today trying to make the BlueSky sound like the Wet , and although I got close... there was still a mojo and vibe the BSR did not have in comparison to the Wet.
    The Wet also melds together better with your tone, the BSR sounds either more seperated from your tone or overtakes it.

6. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

Hardwire RV-7 is a great, reliable and versatile pedal.

7. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

Are you looking for spring reverb?
    For Fender spring, get the FRV1. If you want plainer spring, get a holy grail or vanamps or HOF, those all sound basically the same. If you want a shimmering choir of angels reverb, get the WET. If you want plate(or room), get a RRR or RV3. If you want shimmer, but with the option of others as well, get the BSR.

8. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

To be honest - shimmer is the only reason right now I use the BSR for.
    Don't get me wrong, the BSR sounds great and can be ambient... the Wet simply does it better IMO.

9. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

The WET does ambient really well, but it's excellent for subtle settings too.

I did some ambient demos I could link to if you want.....

10. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I'd like to hear yer demo.

11. WolfStache

WolfStache Member

I use a Spring Chicken LE on my main and got a WET Stereo a couple weeks ago. The wet isnt kicking the chicken off my board. I use reverb slightly and always on and when I want a wetter signal I use my foot to increase/decrease while Im playing. I like that big knobbie on the SC. No volume loss on mine...I keep it on always anyway. Im looking to try that Spring Theory, demos sound killer.

I do like how the Wet seamlessly melds into your signal. Sounds great all around and best at ambient washes. For me its a set and forget box, which works well...really want to try it in stereo soon. But, for spring reverb fans it can play out as a bit boring.

12. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

13. guitar_lab

guitar_lab Member

Wow thanks for the input guys! From what I've read and recently heard via the demos, I think WET is gonna be it for me... To do grab the stereo or wait for the v3 of the mono. Hmmm....

14. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

15. guitar_lab

guitar_lab Member

If only they still made the Alien Amps Reverb from space or where ever. I was sold by the sold samples on that one instantly, but nope, can't get it :\

16. guitarboyty

guitarboyty Member

I have the TC Electronics Hall of Fame and it sounds great for the money.

17. kmcw

kmcw Member

I say grab the stereo! The tone knob is a really cool feature.

18. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

^^The tone knob does a lot. I wouldn't want to be without it.

19. guitar_lab

guitar_lab Member

Loved your videos, exact sound I am going for. Will get the one with the tone knob. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Brian wrote me back as well, real nice guy.

Never heard from Wampler, but with his web form captcha based BS email system who knows if he got my message, LOL!