Help me choose a Reverend

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TheGuildedAge, Jan 25, 2008.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I have it down to a Flatroc or Jetstream 390 with Wilkinson.

I already have a dual humbucker guitar and h-s-s strat.

I am looking for a sound that is good clean, with nice chime and such, but also sounds thick when overdriven. Really having trouble deciding between these too.

Can P90s do any chime, or do I need Revtrons. Also, can the Revtrons do thicker od tones?

2. martyncrew

martyncrew Supporting Member

JS390 - the P90s are more Strat-y than LP or SG-ish and will chime very nicely!

3. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

JS390 is great...I just bought a Manta Ray HB and love it. Look at the Charger 290 too

4. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I have a Flatroc that has exceeded my expectations. The pups are a little on the hot side for me and I had to lower em some (the only adjustment necessary period). Maybe not as chimey as the Revtron/Filtertron connection might lead you to assume but that is highly subjective. I find they have more clarity than P90s or standard humbuckers for that matter. Low/no noise too. I do not hear tele/strat clarity, ring, twang or whatever FWIW but that was not what I was looking for.

More than enough output to provide thicker OD tones. I have posted a couple of OD and clean clips in the past. The bass roll-off control is very useful and allows a more than subtle transformation between thin (relatively) and thick.

Right now if I wanted a P90 guitar, I'd seriously look at a Reverend. As it is, I find the Flatroc is covering a lot of ground.

hunter

5. thesooze

thesooze Supporting Member

6. TheGuildedAge

I'm leaning flatroc because the jetstream is a little too close to strat. I like the lower noise of the revtron too.

I like the Club King Rt too, but I think a semi-hollow might not work as well because I'd loose some clarity and attack. I do use a jcm800 copy for almost everything.

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

I owned a MantaRay for about a month. Best put together guitar BY FAR at it's price point, period. But, I lost my mind and sold it to a friend on a payment plan who has yet to start paying me.... worst decision EVER!!!
    I'm in need of a kick ass, humbucker based guitar and/or tele like monster... what does Reverend have to offer? The MantaRay was too big for me and I couldn't jive with the ebony fingerboard, but I would surely buy another (different) Reverend in a hearbeat.

8. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Gasp, check out the Gil Parris model or the Buckshot.

9. TheGuildedAge

I ended up with a Club King RT. Decided to go semi after all. Sounds good so far.

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

GlanB how are you digging the CK RT? I have a flatroc on the way and I'm pretty excited. I've actually played the flatroc (same exact model, different guitar) in my local store but I could not crank it up or test with any real accurate source. I'm looking for a lot of diversity in my gear. I have an SSC USA Reverend which has 3 P90's (sounds and plays amazing, goodbye strat gas!) and I think the Flatroc is going to be awesome. Very glad to hear it does well with some OD and gain and is relatively quiet.
    My big decision now is to sell my last Tele style guitar for cash towards another Reverend and be an all Reverend household, or pull it from selling and keep it. Of course I'm leaning towards selling it because I'm completely impatient and I love getting new guitars in house.
    TO replace the Tele I'm considering a Reverend buckshot (I'd LOVE to hear Joe's take on the Tele) or possibly an older USA Rocco (way more than I want to spend, but the USA's are the bomb and I don't have any humbucker guitars in the house either).

11. TheGuildedAge

Hi, I like it. They are good guitars for the money, but in no way does this make me forget my old ric 330.

I think there is a lot of gushing over these guitars, but they certainly won't make me sell my strats or guilds.

It's a cool guitar, with decent workmanship. I might be calling Reverend because the nut is cut wrong, and buzzes on the a string, and the d string sounds kind of dead, even with a setup. I don't blame reverend for this, I'd have Gibsons with the same issue.

I got to play them all at the shop, and all are good guitars. Pretty consistent. The owner of the shop was gushing about how he sold his vintage LPs and strats after finding reverend. I don't think I would go that far, but they certainly are a good guitar for a good price.

12. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Looking at the Club King RT and the Club King 290. Can't play any ocally. Any thoughts on these two guitars and differences between them?

13. htharp

htharp Member

Just bought a Jetstream 390 form a fellow TGP'r today and waiting for it to arrive. I was taken in by all the chat here and the unique visual of these guitars.