Help me choose an acoustic pls

SirSpamAlot

These are all the guitars I could find in my budget ($300-350)
Which one would you guys recommend?

Fender CD-60CE V2

Yamaha FGX700SC

Fender CD-100CE V2

Epiphone Hummingbird Pro

RTR

Never cared much for Fender acoustics. You would do well with the Epi or the Yamaha. I would also look at Alvarez and Ibanez. Lots to choose from in that price range.

stevel

First, are you going to be able to play the guitar before you buy it?

Acoustic guitars are such a subjective thing and at that price point there can be a lot of variability in two guitars of the exact same model!

Run your hand along the edge of the fretboard - are the cut ends of the frets sharp? If so, I wouldn't buy it.

You also need to check the intonation - play a harmonic at the 12th fret and see if it's the same exact note when fretting that string on the 12th fret. If so, you're good, if not it's a problem. It's not a problem that can't be fixed necessarily, but you would have to take it to a tech to get it intonated properly if even possible.

Obviously, if you can play it, hear it, feel it, see if you bond with it, etc. that helps.

Also, you need to be aware that if you do play it, one on the wall with very old strings could sound quite different than one with much newer strings, strings of a different gauge, etc. I've been in stores where a string broke and they restring only one string without any attention to what the original gauge was and so on - making a potentially good-sounding guitar not play optimally.

And of course you really need to check the action. Sometimes a guitar with so-so action can be tweaked to have great action so you may have to be careful - a guitar that plays like butter but sounds only so-so will not really get much better sounding. But a guitar that sounds better with so-so action might be able to be tweaked by a qualified luthier to be a much better overall guitar. If you're going to a guitar shop, make sure they have a qualified luthier - many stores will offer a free setup with the purchase of a guitar (a basic setup).

It would of course also be VERY helpful to hear them plugged in. Obviously, if you're going to use it plugged in and rarely purely acoustically, then the acoustic tone may not be as big a deciding factor and you could buy the cheapest one the plays good and sounds good plugged in.

Neither of the Fenders have a SOLID top.

Both the Yamaha and Epiphone do.

Plus the Epi has a coolness factor to it to me :)

If you don't know, Solid tops generally sound better than non-solid tops (not always though - some cheap solids can sound worse than a higher grade non-solid guitar but you're looking at all the same grade here basically).

Besides that, Fender...well, they make electric guitars. In a sense, they don't really know how to make Acoustics (well, they bought companies they do, but slap Fender on the headstock). All of the ones I've ever played (none recently though) have not been very good. They struck me as something that Fender makes just because they can, and becuase they know there's a market for people out there who'll buy it becuase it says Fender on it.

I don't like Yamaha because they're out for world domination, but I have to admit that most of the entry-level guitars I've played from them were good basic instruments. If someone gave me a Fender acoustic, I'd give it away (or turn it into a slide guitar or something) but if someone gave me a Yamaha, I'd either keep it as a beater or sell it at least.

I've not played any Epis like this so I can't comment, but I *like* it the most by looks and specs.

I'd go for Solid top though, unless as I said above, you'll be using it primarily plugged in and then it may not matter (most pickup systems at this level aren't as dependent on or aren't as able to discriminate the acoustic quality of the instrument).

If you're going to be using it as a performance instrument, I'd seriously consider a Takamine. There are some similarly priced and equipped solid top models.

I've played in regularly gigging bands with guys using them nightly and I have to say they were workhorses. Played good, sounded good, held up well, etc. Personally I'd go to a Takamine before any of the above.

Actually, what I'd personally go for is an Alvarez - they also make some with solid tops in the same price range. My experience with them is they really play great out of the box. But they're less common in stores - Musician's Friend has them (it doesn't look like GC or Sweetwater carry them though).

If you can play a Tak, or even an Alvarez, you should before eliminating them.

There are also some "newer" brands that have come up in the last decade or so (they may have been around longer but just got wider distribution, etc.) such as Seagull that would be worth taking a look at. Again, these can be somewhat more difficult to get your hands on to play.

HTH,
Steve

kiwicanuck

If I couldn't try them I'd go with Yamaha due to my history with them, but ideally I'd play them all and pick the one that my ears and fingers prefer.

SackvilleDan

Platinum Supporting Member
Definitely look at Alvarez... there is a LOT of bang for the buck there in this price range.

Also, I'm not sure where you are located, but Godin/Simon & Patrick/Seagull/Art & Lutherie (all made in LaPatrie, Quebec) make very popular and well built guitars in this range too. They're all over the place in Canada, but I don't know what kind of penetration they have in the market elsewhere.

omfg51

Isn't there a forum section dedicated solely to acoustics??? Hm, I wonder...

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?forums/27

Breedlove is definitely worth checking out, Seagull as well, very cool guitars.

Blueridge has to be my favorite company right now though, I am borrowing a BR-63 from my guitar player, and it literally sounds better than any Martin or Taylor at my local Guitar Center. Find one of their all solid models, you won't be sorry.

buddastrat

Sorry, I'd go with a Seagull for that price range. Also check out Recording Kings, amazing quality for little coin. Yamahas aren't bad if you are married to that list.

SirSpamAlot

Thanks everyone for your responses. @omfg51, I did post in the acoustic section but got no replies :(

To clarify my situation a little. First of all, i'm in Montreal, so buying from an online us retailer is not an option (import taxes + shipping are ridiculous).

The reason I listed these guitars is because I have a $40 discount available on shop.ca, and these are the guitars they have in this price range.

I have looked in to Seagull, but their models that come with a Preamp are a bit above my budget (around $500).

Also there seems to be a lot of Takamine's listed on my local craigslist. Which model would you guys recommend?

From my experience, Takamines have really skinny necks at the nut, which was always a deal breaker for me.

Honestly, look into a Taylor 110. Solid top, excellent preamp for the price, and it will play better than the Epi or Yamaha. You could probably find a used one for $500 easy.

SirSpamAlot

From my experience, Takamines have really skinny necks at the nut, which was always a deal breaker for me.

Honestly, look into a Taylor 110. Solid top, excellent preamp for the price, and it will play better than the Epi or Yamaha. You could probably find a used one for $500 easy.
Unfortunately Taylor's are a bit out of my price range.

SciFlyer

Silver Supporting Member
How soon do you need this guitar? Why not wait until you have a bit more money saved and get something good? You will most likely want something nicer down the road. Cheap electrics can be modded and improved and will sound good with a decent amp. Cheap acoustics usually don't sound good and are a drag to play.

stevel

Save up $40 then you won't feel bad about looking elsewhere for guitars and that might open up a lot more options.

idma

These are all the guitars I could find in my budget ($300-350)
Which one would you guys recommend?

Fender CD-60CE V2

Yamaha FGX700SC

Fender CD-100CE V2

Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
IMO I wouldn't vote for any of those.....well maybe the hummingbird pro.

I always highly encourage a Seagull or Takamine for a low price range. They have excellent tone and body. The Fender and yamaha's for that price range sound really dull.

Tehillah

I'd go for "used"- just recently scored a nice Seagull Performer with a dual-source Mic and new gig bag and my choice of strings for some friend's kid- had my luthier set it up- definitely decent at your price point- shipped from GC NC to NJ- just under $400, including an excellent set up- dude, I'd gig with it-

Trending Topics