1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Help me choose an amp!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratasaurus, Aug 9, 2008.

1. stratasaurus

stratasaurus Member

So, I am getting tired of dragging around a head a speaker cab to gigs and am looking to downsize my rig. I am currently using a Vox Ac30 head and 2x12 Avatar cab.

I want to scale back to a 1x12 combo. Looking for some chimey cleans and a second channel that will give me some 1970's to 80's Marshall crunch. Reverb and a boost function would be nice too but not a deal breaker. I also want to spend less than about $1400.

Some amps that I have been looking at are:

Mesa Express 5:25
    Budda SD 18
    Bogner Alchemist

I am not a fan of the Fender hot rod stuff or the new Traynors. Any other suggestions?

2. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

A Rivera of some sort?

3. freaksho

freaksho Member

well, that's what everyone wants! the holy grail is what you seek.

never played the Mesa or the Alchemist, but i have a Shiva so i think you're on the right track with Bogner. Budda SD series is a good choice too, but you may need to go 30 if you want a bit of clean headroom? obviously depends on your volume needs. i had an SD45 for a little while and had trouble getting cleans at loud band rehearsal (heavy handed drummer).

i don't know of many other two channels that will fit these classic requirements, outside the cheaper options you already eliminated (which i agree with btw).

4. freaksho

freaksho Member

oh, duh. +1

5. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

The BUdda SD 18 is awesome. You might also look at the Orange Rocker 30. The clean channel isn't what I would call "chimey" but it is warm and luscious. IMO nothing compares to the dirty channels on Orange amps. Fat, screaming distortion from ZZ Top to Pantera. Of course I am biased because I own it. I chose the Orange over the Budda simply for the extra 15 watts. Both are great though. The Orange might be $100 cheaper also.

6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

OMG!!! How many times to I have to say this... VALVETECH VAC25!
    Seriously, I have one and it is just amazing. I played through it today after getting it back from Rob Pierce @Valvetech and it is amazing. 3D... almost 4D :)
    PM me... I am seriously considering selling my 1x12 and buying another guy's head/cab from the hamerfanclub.com
    Matching checkerboard Valvetech 25/50 watts :eek:
    http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26321