Help me choose an amp!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratasaurus, Aug 9, 2008.

1. stratasaurus

stratasaurus Member

So, I am getting tired of dragging around a head a speaker cab to gigs and am looking to downsize my rig. I am currently using a Vox Ac30 head and 2x12 Avatar cab.

I want to scale back to a 1x12 combo. Looking for some chimey cleans and a second channel that will give me some 1970's to 80's Marshall crunch. Reverb and a boost function would be nice too but not a deal breaker. I also want to spend less than about $1400.

Some amps that I have been looking at are:

Mesa Express 5:25
    Budda SD 18
    Bogner Alchemist

I am not a fan of the Fender hot rod stuff or the new Traynors. Any other suggestions?

2. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

A Rivera of some sort?

3. freaksho

freaksho Member

well, that's what everyone wants! the holy grail is what you seek.

never played the Mesa or the Alchemist, but i have a Shiva so i think you're on the right track with Bogner. Budda SD series is a good choice too, but you may need to go 30 if you want a bit of clean headroom? obviously depends on your volume needs. i had an SD45 for a little while and had trouble getting cleans at loud band rehearsal (heavy handed drummer).

i don't know of many other two channels that will fit these classic requirements, outside the cheaper options you already eliminated (which i agree with btw).

4. freaksho

freaksho Member

oh, duh. +1

5. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

The BUdda SD 18 is awesome. You might also look at the Orange Rocker 30. The clean channel isn't what I would call "chimey" but it is warm and luscious. IMO nothing compares to the dirty channels on Orange amps. Fat, screaming distortion from ZZ Top to Pantera. Of course I am biased because I own it. I chose the Orange over the Budda simply for the extra 15 watts. Both are great though. The Orange might be $100 cheaper also.

6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

OMG!!! How many times to I have to say this... VALVETECH VAC25!
    Seriously, I have one and it is just amazing. I played through it today after getting it back from Rob Pierce @Valvetech and it is amazing. 3D... almost 4D :)
    PM me... I am seriously considering selling my 1x12 and buying another guy's head/cab from the hamerfanclub.com
    Matching checkerboard Valvetech 25/50 watts :eek:
    http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26321