help me choose an analog delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sabbath90, Aug 23, 2005.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

hey guys, i need some help choosing a pedal. i want an analog delay to do stuff in the vein of the edge and david gilmour. very atmospheric, textured stuff. right now the leader is an echoczar with an angelbaby. the diamond memory lane is in 2nd place but closing fast. i don't really know of any others that fit the bill, so thats why i'm asking you guys for opinions, feedback, and suggestions. thanks!

2. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

If you want a solution quickly, go for the Memory Lane. I'm on the list for the Echoczar, so I'll have both eventually, but I'm sure the Memory Lane is worth my every penny.

3. e-z

e-z Member

I'm on the waiting list for the Echcozar but since I don't know when it will be ready I'm going to pick up a Memory Lane in the mean time. Another option is the TTE but I've never heard one.

4. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

Hrmmm... check out the red SIB echodrive pedal with the built-in tube

I've owned a few good delays in the past (moogerfooger, maxon, and an old ibanez) The SIB has become my favorite because its very clear like a digital, but the built-in tube warms it up. It's also very easy to dial in a slight slapback echo and a long spacey U2 style or Pink Floyd style delay

I run one in the efx loop of my Rivera knucklehead and also a zvex booster pedal to kick it up to line level. The SIB only costs about 250 dollars so It's definately worth looking into

I'd also like to try the Fulltoen TTE to get a nice warbly raspy delay sound. THe SIB is almost too clean and clear at times and it would be complemented nicely with a dirty type tape echo

5. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

For the Edge stuff, you want modulated delays. I get some excellent modulated sounds from an Ibanez AD202 rack unit, but like most analog delays, I only get about 300 ms of delay time.

The EHX Deluxe Memory Man gets 500 ms of delay time, does modulated delay, and is the unit the Edge started out with.

You could get the Memory Lane and run a chorus in the fx loop or do the same with the new Moog delay. The Memory Lane gets about 550 ms and the Moog will do 1000.

Obviously, the ToneCzar guy loves U2, cause that's the kind of tunes he plays in his demos, but the EchoCzar doesn't really do modulated delay tones. It does do 1000 ms of analog delay and other cool, wild stuff. There is a waiting list, so how much of a hurry are you in?

But there are other, cheaper options.

The Korg 301dl (digital) will do 1000 ms of delay, two head delays, has tone controls, ducking, two presets, and will do a very cool Gilmour type long chasing delay.

The Boss DD20 (also digital) has a very good modulated delay, two head tape echo, analog sim and does 26 seconds.

Think about how you're going to use it. Live, the audience won't necessarily be able to tell the difference. For recording or for your own personal enjoyment, analog sounds better. IMHO.

6. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

The Memory Lane does modulated delays stock, you don't need to add a chorus (unless you want to!).

7. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Who makes the Memory Lane?

Nevermind -- apparently Diamond.

8. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

thanks for all of the responses. i think i'll just go ahead and get on the echoczar/angelbaby list. those clips just can't be beat.

9. Madsman

Madsman Member

I've yet to play on a delay that I wanted more than the Memory Lane.

10. granite

granite Member

11. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Just heard the Memory Lane at a trade show, and even from limited time thought it was really impressive. Not as good as a TTE, but half the price, and with modulation and taptempo to boot. By the way, Michael Knappe the CEO/designer turned his Boogie rig up to ten, and it was REALLY quiet! Gotta get me one of these!-Eric