Help me choose between these four Chorus pedals!

petty1818

Hi all,

I am looking for a chorus pedal to replace my TC SCF. It's definitely the best chorus pedal that I have tried but I dislike the power cord and mine has a mechanical noise (even when bypassed), that's annoying. It's just too expensive to replace as well. Also, it's fine in mono but it's definitely lacking a bit.

Anyway, I think I have finally narrowed my chorus pedal choices down to either the Providence Anadime, Catalinbread Callisto, JHS Emperor or I have considered buying the Neunaber Slate with the Exp pedal and using the chroma algorithm. I realize that the JHS Emperor was just released but I threw it in there anyway. I would like a pedal that can get close to that SCF tone.

Basically, the Providence and Callisto chorus pedals seem to get high praise for their analog quality. I have listened to demoes and both sound very nice. The JHS Emperor is new but it does offer the Vibrato effect and tap tempo and seems to be very versatile. I just don't know much about JHS so not sure how I will like the tones. Lastly, the Neunaber Chroma could save me board space since I would only need one Neunaber pedal. However, I honestly only ever hear how great the wet reverb is so not sure if the Chroma chorus is even that great.

For smooth watery chorus I would go with the providence adanime. Chroma would sound a bit more modern to my knowledge. Don't know much about the JHS or the Catalinbread but to me the JHS size is a turn off.

VHS analog

Hi all,

I am looking for a chorus pedal to replace my TC SCF. It's definitely the best chorus pedal that I have tried but I dislike the power cord and mine has a mechanical noise (even when bypassed), that's annoying. It's just too expensive to replace as well. Also, it's fine in mono but it's definitely lacking a bit.

Anyway, I think I have finally narrowed my chorus pedal choices down to either the Providence Anadime, Catalinbread Callisto, JHS Emperor or I have considered buying the Neunaber Slate with the Exp pedal and using the chroma algorithm. I realize that the JHS Emperor was just released but I threw it in there anyway. I would like a pedal that can get close to that SCF tone.

Basically, the Providence and Callisto chorus pedals seem to get high praise for their analog quality. I have listened to demoes and both sound very nice. The JHS Emperor is new but it does offer the Vibrato effect and tap tempo and seems to be very versatile. I just don't know much about JHS so not sure how I will like the tones. Lastly, the Neunaber Chroma could save me board space since I would only need one Neunaber pedal. However, I honestly only ever hear how great the wet reverb is so not sure if the Chroma chorus is even that great.
If cost is an issue, some of your suggestions seem pretty expensive.

What is the mechanical noise? Do you mean the footswitch?

petty1818

For smooth watery chorus I would go with the providence adanime. Chroma would sound a bit more modern to my knowledge. Don't know much about the JHS or the Catalinbread but to me the JHS size is a turn off.
The size of the JHS isn't really an issue, especially with the added features. Also, I have heard that the Providence is watery and smooth. Sounds really nice!

petty1818

If cost is an issue, some of your suggestions seem pretty expensive.

What is the mechanical noise? Do you mean the footswitch?
Cost isn't an issue! I could easily replace the SCF but as mentioned, it's not the most pleasing when in mono. Also, the mechanical noise is hard to explain. It almost sounds as though the vibrato effect is always engaged. It doesn't matter if the pedal is off or on, there's always this low noise that sounds like a combination of white noise and a vibrato effect.

With that said, the Providence is definitely the most expensive in terms of being a simple pedal layout. The JHS has more features so I can justify the price. I would need to know that the Providence is great if I decide to get it.

VHS analog

Providence brand gets respect around here. Though I think the Analogman Mini is a great (maybe the best) mono chorus, and has true bypass.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Anadime is best of the ones you listed... But overpriced IMO seeing its a one trick pony. You could buy an Analogman mini with depth toggle and mix knob for close to same. JHS makes great pedals but if cost is no issue then snag a Dr Scientist Cosmichorus v3. Does it all. Has every control a good chorus should have. And more. Only reason I sold was for a dual. Also, another fantastic chorus was the EQD Sea Machine.

rubyandhyde

Try the Boomerang(R) Chorus*Delay. It's more expensive but has a HUGE sound when used with a stereo rig, and you get a tap tempo delay, and 11 presets. There's also extensive expression pedal control if you want to add that spice.

hdahs143

Silver Supporting Member
I would lean toward the ADC-4 Anadime with the mix control. I had an ADC-3 Anadime and sold it because it did not have the mix control. Outside that, it was like a perfect CE-2. All the tone, with none of the noise, or weird EQ and level issues the Boss had.

scottpic

I recommend the Neunaber Chroma.

Then you always have the option to change the pedal using his free software. It is easy, and there are a lot of great sounding options!

sws2h

I haven't owned a ton of delays, but I love my Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble. Love the vibrato option. Every gig I get compliments on that effect...people wanting to know what it is...and chorus gets a pretty bad rap in general! And it has the option to be used in stereo.

steam-powered

A year or two ago, while searching for a great chorus pedal, I tried quite a few and discovered that the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus sounded best to my ears. As I was wanting a "higher-end" chorus, I kept searching for something more "boutique". After a month of trying out as many as possible, I ended up purchasing the Liquid Chorus cause it simply sounded better.

While it's not in your list of possible considerations, I'd highly recommend trying out the Visual Sound.

Stratogatto

I've had the TC SCF and it is very unique sounding, very subtle effect and pristine sound you really ear what it does as soon as you switch it OFF. I replaced it with an Arion/Vertex Landau model that is also unique sounding and despite all the bad reputation surrounding Vertex product I would say this is on the good side. I recently tried Anadime ACD4 and watching at your list I certainly would go with this.. very good sounding and with a low MIX value could also mimic some SCF sound. I would not consider features too much.. the sound is the most important aspect IMHO.

petty1818

It looks like the Providence chorus is leading the way! Obviously it's unfair to rule out the JHS Emperor since it is so new but in the mean time I am going to see if I can try out the Providence at a few music stores that carry them.

Trending Topics