Help Me Choose-LP, SG or other

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kojack19, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Kojack19

Kojack19 Silver Supporting Member

Looking for some input as to what you think will fill in the gap with my guitars. Play mostly rock along the lines of The Who, Dire Straits, Pearl Jam, RHCP, Social Distortion, The Cult etc plus some originals. Playing out is for fun not a job.

Current guitars are RI Strat, Tele Custom Thin Skin and a 56 Goldtop RI with P90s and play through tweed and marshall clones.

I am undecided if I should be focusing more on an SG or a LP with humbuckers. For lack of a better description, do you think an SG or LP with buckers is further away tonally from my current staple? Or do I just have a serious case of G.A.S.!

Cost is absolutely a consideration. While I have great guitars all were bought used and were opportunistic buys from friends or were deals too good to pass up.

I am not looking at Historic or VOS LPs or SGs 4-5k is not an option. Would like to find something for around 1500. The stretch would be to wait and get a LP Traditional-I have not played one yet but the description seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

I know quality and sound vary greatly with Gibson these days so I will def be trying before buying-just looking for direction and always have rec'd good advice from fellow TGPers.

Thanks for your input.

2. Nickguitar

Nickguitar Member

Well by some groups you named, real humbucker guitar could be a good deal. For that money you could get gooood used Les Paul standard or new Sg (or used and you save money :dude).
    Mind that Sg has full body and standard is chambered (big hole) or weight relived - traditional (swiss cheese holes) - someone doesnt care but for me personaly, chambered pauls had always muddier tone.

Unplugged i would put Sg between tele and les paul, and you allready know what les paul sounds like. Sg has better access to higher frets. So with virtually same pickups you would have warmer and muddier tone on paul and Sg with more "presence" tone. (if it resonates good you get a great punch tone).

Well i gues i'm saying nothing new but i strongly recommend that you try them one beside other first unplugged and then with the amp. By this way you could see what better suits you by feel, tonal response and resonance and other personal needs.

P.s sorry for my bad english

3. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

I would get a 61 reissue SG used. I think most of the cheaper LP's are awful but the Sg reissues are usually real nice.

4. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Do like I did. Save your money and wait for the right one to come along. I played a lot of Les Pauls before I found one that I was happy with. Can't pry me away from it now. It doesn't really matter whetehr it's a buckered Paul or SG, eitehr will get you there if you are happy with how it feels.

5. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

first guitar was an SG, rather unique it was a baratone guitar with a very thin neck, neck bend dive bombs were extremely easy, as was vibro, both up and down by shaking the neck,

have a couple LPs, really prefer the sustain and tone of my LPs, though the new robot guitars have me gassing, used my SG for open E tuning, and thinking of getting an SG or LP robot for that, since it does the tunings easily, an SG is incredible for slide, Duane and Dave Gilmour used them, but the LP is nice as well, so right now trying to decide which way to go.

6. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

The LP and SG are two very different guitars, you have an LP gold top with P-90, had a 75 LP special with P-90s that was my favorite guitar, P-90 really get such great tone, currently my humbuckers are split coils, so I can get the single tone and humbucker noise elimination.

An SG is a lot of fun to play, amazing high fret access, shorter scale length than the fenders, Light weight, its also a better rhythm guitar, the LP is a great soloing guitar, lots of natural sustain, its acutally pretty hard to play rhythm on, have to palm mute or you get a lot of slurred chords. SG is like a fender in a lot of way, only with humbuckers, so you don't have the noise problem and the humbuckers have more signal.

My strat is an HSS deluxe, really like having the humbucker, and I have a split coil so I get the bridge single coil tone, I also have it with a tone knob, found I never used the middle pup tone knob and always wanted it on the bridge pup, so that was how I wired it when I changed the pups.