Help Me choose right amp/set up for outside gig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tuberider, Aug 14, 2008.

1. tuberider

tuberider Supporting Member

Choices: 40w Alessandro Working Dog with Cannibus Rex speaker and an MJM Blues Devil or,
    a 50w Fuchs SLX modded Bassman 1x12 open back combo w G12H65 and a Sholz 1x12 extension cab (oval port).
    It's a four piece group with a singer.500w+500w watt PA.No mics on drums.
    Variety of rock, pop, r&b. Van Morrison, Ray Charles, Beatles, Santana, Soul, Running on Empty kinda bag.
    Bass player (Van's former music director) is using a Carvin bass combo not sure of wattage but it's a 1x15 combo. Keyboard player has his own small powered mixer/speakers for his set up.
    The Fuchs rig sounds much bigger/ louder but the Working Dog has a sweeter funkier sound and if (a big if) it won't get absolutely buried outdoors, it's a lot easier to shlep.
    Any advice thanks?

2. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

It's an outdoor gig that you're not micing drums? Does that mean you're not micing your guitar amp?

How big an area? Is it open or surrounded by structure/walls, like some restaurant patio gigs?

I did a 4-year, once a month restaurant patio gig doing exactly the kind of music you describe, and while we mic'd the kick & snare drum, the rest of the back line had to get by on its own. This was a long, deep, wood patio surrounded on its two sides by building, so it wasn't flat-bed-truck-in-a-field open. I ran a 40 watt 1x12 Fender Blues Deluxe with a 1x12 extension cabinet with a couple of OD pedals and it worked very well.

3. sidneymg

sidneymg Member

use both w/ABY box

4. tuberider

tuberider Supporting Member

Ya it's more of a flatbed truck in an open field wedding deal.No hard surfaces backing the stage etc.
    We're not miking anything but the vocals. Come to think of it I suppose I could mike the Working Dog if I needed to ( since it's my PA ha! ).
    I've read most guys recomending a closed back or at least 2 x 12 cab for outdoors and the Working Dog doesn't have a speaker extension jack.
    I'm more concerned with the subtle clean sounds disappearing as opposed to leads which would probably cut just fine. I am trying to keep the heavier gear to a minimum so using both amps wouldn't make sense.

5. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Those kind of gigs are just hard to make sound right. Your sound is about as flat and dead as possible if you're not micing everything through FOH. You should be able to pull it off though, if you at least mic your amp and the kick drum.

As far as the amp goes, it really won't make much difference on the two choices you have. Even if you used a closed back 4x12, it's going to be pretty directional. Those type of gigs, for me, have worked best with one or two open back, 2x12 amps, like Twin Reverbs. That way you can preserve some of the cleans at higher volumes.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

here's a good trick for open-back amps outdoors. it's easy to get the annoying and directional trebles and mids outside, but the full, warm lows just go away. the trick is to put something flat, vertical and taller than the amp behind it, maybe a foot or so back.

i discovered this by accident years ago on one of those flatbed truck stage gigs, when i moved a random road case behind my open back 2x12" cab to spare the drummer from getting blasted with it. the amp all of a sudden had the low end fullness that was lacking, and was easier for me to hear as well. the lows bounce off the "backstop" and get thrown out front.

even opening a square fender-style guitar case and standing it up behind the amp does the trick.