help me choose some new speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sabbath90, May 27, 2005.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

hey guys i've decided to get a dedicated cab for my soldano astroverb. i've got an empty soldano 2x12 and want to put some speakers in it. i'm looking at webers right now. i'm thinking of an alnico silver bell and a ceramic 1230-55. has anyone used these? any other suggestions for a really nice growly rock tone? thanks.

2. meterman

meterman Member

Hard to go wrong with a pair of G12H-30s, or a G12H and a V30 for rock and roll...

3. troublehead

troublehead Member

I love g12h30's. Wierd thing is, I hate the Eminence Wizards which are supposed to be g12 knockoffs.

4. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

I have a 30 Watt Blue Dog and a C1230 in a Bruno cabinet. You can get the low end tightness of the ceramic and the singing musical quality of the ALNICO in one cabinet. The ALNICO compresses nicely when pushed and the Ceramic keeps it tight. Very British.

Extremely versatile no matter what style of music you play...

5. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

G12H-30 and G12M-25

With a low-powered amp that's the perfect combination of depth, clarity, warmth and richness IMO... if you mean 'classic rock' growl.

If you want more modern heavy growl I'd go with a V30 and a G12H-30 or a Classic Lead.

6. m1911

m1911 Member

Hi John,
    Have you had the chance to hear the new Heritage G12H & G12M over there?
    I think those might be nice in a 2x12.
    Mark

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

My Wizards were defective, I am sticking with Celestion greenbacks from now on. That being said, the Wizards sounded like a half cocked wah pedal with an extra bass note an octave lower, and some good amounts of wierd high frequency stuff going on when playing higher notes. I was warned beforehand and I didn't listen. Lesson learned.:D

-Rich

8. troublehead

troublehead Member

The "half cocked wah" was exactly my thoughts on the Wizards. The g12h30's have much warmer mids and are more musical sounding as well.

9. aeolian

aeolian Member

Dont' want to read the entire Eminence thread? Go ahead, it's good for you. :D

10. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

has anyone tried 2 alnico speakers with higher gain?

11. meterman

meterman Member

I havent', but I would doubt that the bass would hold together. I have CTS alnicos in my Super Reverb and when you hit it with distortion or fuzz it flubs out pretty bad, lots of speaker distortion, I was always afraid I was gonna blow them....

12. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i think i'm going to get a weber 15 watt alnico silver bell and a ceramic 1230-55. that should sound pretty tasty. i really love weber speakers too. although i am going to have to try scumbacks real soon. man, i just can't keep my hands off of my pickups and speakers:rolleyes: .

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Hey Meterman arent you from Ga?

14. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I'd go with the Celestions, G12H is my fave, mix it with a GB another G12H or a V30 and you are good to go.

I had bad problems with a Weber Silver Bell and Blues Dog.

15. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Love that combo myself John. I have my 4x12 set up like that in an X pattern, and it's kicking MAJOR bootie with my new 2061X head.

Everything else cabinet wise will soon have Scumback versions. they're AWESOME!

16. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

what kind of problems have you had?

17. nateco

nateco Member

I use the Weber Alnico Plus 50 watt Silver Bells and Blue Dogs....

The Alnico Plus is a hybrid between the Alnico and ceramics....they have a fair amout of the Alnico thing happening and can get nice and chimey when ya want....but they still hold up when you drive the crap out of them.....I don't know why more guys don't use them.....it's realy like having the best of both worlds in my opnion.

18. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Horrific cone cry!!

There is something about a Les Paul neck pickup that those speakers do not like. I tried them in a 2X12, and then individually in a 1X12. Even with a low powered amp the results were the same.

They were lightly doped and I was not about to start pulling speakers, doping, re-doping, ect...

G12H30 = plug and play.
    :)