Help me choose speaker for my Headstrong lil King Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Nash, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Nash

Nash Member

OK My Headstrong lil King Reverb with Eminence 12 inch speaker sounded great at the shop but it can be very loud at home. I rarely play with others and prefer quieter amps.

I've decided to go with a 10 inch and I've already ordered the conversion ring from Mojo Amps.

Now, I've read a lot of talk about Weber & Jensons.

I also noticed these new 10 inch Eminence GA10-SC64 George Alessandro speakers that recently came out. I also noticed they were only 20 watts.

Has anyone tried these speakers yet? Would they be appropriate for a black face fender sound? Would the 20 watt rating get me closer to a quieter sweet spot on the amp?

Does anyone have any other input perhaps on completely different speakers.

My main guitar is a tele. Thanks.

2. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I used a Jensen P12Q with the Lil King and its great speaker for what you are looking to do IMHO.

3. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

See if you can find this speaker on You Tube to see how it sounds in black face applications.
    That's what I do when I am looking to change speakers, pick ups etc.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

It's not the power handling that matters, it's the efficiency (SPL/db rating), a 102db tone tubby 40/40 40w will be almost 60% louder than a 100w Alltone 12100 at 98db.

SPL/sensitivity/efficiency rating is what you should be looking at, not power handling.

So looking a headstrong specs, Emi GB128 is what you have at 101.3db so you want lower than that.

Also changing to a smaller speaker is not going to make much difference, matter of fact you'll probably like smaller cone less when playing at low volumes.

Alltone 1250 would be great choice at 96db, over a 5db drop in volume, it's like cross between early Jensen tone and low watt Brit blues sounding speaker.

Tone Tubby San Rafael 12" also another good one at 96db if you wanna shave of a little bit annoying high end and not as much bottom flub.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  5. Nash

Nash Member

Really? A smaller speaker is not going to make the a.m. sound smaller? I really like my smaller 5 W combos with six and 8 inch speakers. I like the sound of the speakers. I will definitely check out those speakers you mentioned.

The GA10 -SC 64 has a sensitivity of 98.2 dB. Would that be a big improvement?
    Thanks

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Well 6db in a speaker equals a doubling in apparent volume, say going from a 96db up to a 102db speaker so your modest 98.2db ga10 will be a modestly nice drop in vol. As far as you liking the 6-8", that just a pref, I like the thinner sound for certain applications too. But yea usually most 10" have a lower DB rating by nature. A low efficiency alnico 10" would probably give a nice authentic period sound with that amp. Look at a Jupiter 10" Alnico as well.

7. pappafox

pappafox Member

I would suggest Jupiter as well. Though I prefer ceramic with blackface circuits.

8. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

WGS has a Jensen derivative that sounds great. Best $50 I've ever spent on a speaker.

9. Nash

Nash Member

Ok I think I'm going to choose between the Tone Tubby San Rafael 10 inch or the Jenson P10R. Any other suggestions before I pull the trigger?

10. tele_player

tele_player Member

Jensen C10R is cheap, inefficient 94.7db, and sounds good in a PR. Also, WGS Veteran 10.

11. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

12. Nash

Nash Member

Thanks for the suggestion but I've tried all types of attenuators and feel that they took the fun out of playing. I think I personally need to hear the speaker being pushed. Personally I've had more success with master volume amps over attenuators as strange as that sounds.

13. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Jupiter condenser 10" ceramic. Research. You'll be very happy

14. Nash

Nash Member

UPDATE: I ordered the WGS 10 inch and installed it today. It delivered the desired results. It has beautiful fendery tones at a lower volume. It doesn't seem to have that frequency spike that the eminence had that was hurting my ears. My only gripe is it still farts out a bit on the low-end. I like to hit my low E string hard on my tele when playing and it doesn't translate well at all with this speaker or the original Eminence legend . Am I just barking up the wrong tree with a Princeton Reverb?

I also have a 10" Celestion Gold coming in the mail next week. Should I even bother opening up the box? I could still send it back. Or is the Celestion gold going to give me a tighter and punchier low-end?

15. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

I just put a Celestion Gold 10 in my PRRI and love it. I find it produces a smooth warm tone. It tightened up the bottom and gave me smoother chimey highs, preserving the overall Fendery tone. In addition, the tone is fuller with a more harmonics present with a bit more mids coming through. While the stock C10R is a nice speaker, it could tend to be boomy on the bottom end and voiced very trebly causing me to keep the treble and base setting very low on the amp settings. The Celestion is much more balanced giving me increased EQ on the amp. The only negative is the Celestion ,due to the much larger alnico magnet, adds a bit of weight to the amp compared to the small ceramic magnet on the Jensen C10R. But i find the extra weight is a trade off well worth it.