Help me choose Tele Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by strat6866, Feb 23, 2008.

1. strat6866

strat6866 Member

Help me choose Pickups for my 62 reissue CIJ Telecaster with rosewood neck.
    I like the guitar but not crazy about the stock Texas Specials. I find them to be thin and brittle sounding.

I play mostly classic rock with distortion most of the time. I would like something that is clear sounding with no distortion but really rocks with overdrive. I do not really need a twangy tone.

2. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

strat6866,

By your description, check out some of the tele pickups by Seymour Duncan. I know that he makes several overwound models that may be what your looking for.

Hope this helps.

3. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

The Rio Grande Muy Grande set will get you there. :AOK

4. Dave

Dave Member

Yep, just what I was thinking. The Muy Grande bridge/Tallboy neck is a great combo. You can buy them as a set, it's called the "Big Bottom Tele Set". The Muy Grande is the fattest single coil I've ever heard, it rocks yet it still sounds really good clean. The Tallboy in the neck position has a nice, full sound with plenty of sparkle and chime. Great pickups.

5. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

Bare knuckle piledrivers are fat but still manage to twang, check out my Neil Young cover on my myspace to hear them rock (but excuse the poor playing)

www.myspace.com/pboy

6. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

7. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

8. mrbungel

mrbungel Member

I have a real 61 Tele and a Revelator 60 Tele. I've also had 7 or 8 early 60's Teles over the years. The Revelator has Lollar alnico III pickups. They sound EXACTLY like real vintage early 60's Tele pups. I've had Duncans, Fender Custom Shops, Hamels, VooDoos and at least 10 other brands, but Lollar has nailed the correct sound.
    A bunch of GVCG T's have the Lollar alnico III's also.
    Neil Young is GREAT, but he doesn't play a Tele. I can kick on a ton of distortion with any Tele pickup and make it sound like Neil. For reference, Teles are CLEAN sounding guitars, although I love the way Tele pups sound with distortion and crunch. The real test of a great Tele sound is clean. Just my opinion. And, yes, I play "Neil" on my Teles all the time, but I can play Neil with any guitar, as long as I have the distorto cruncho nasty dirt pedals turned on.

9. Dave

Dave Member

I got interested Teles because I like the dirty sounds some of my favorite players get with them, like Mike Campbell and Jimmy Page.

Although, after reading your post I really want to try those Lollars. :)

10. mrbungel

mrbungel Member

Dave, absotooootly, Jimmy Page and Mike Campbell are a couple of my fave Tele players, although Jimmy plays a Lester most of the time. I love it how they never get crunchy, just dirty.
    I'm old, saw Zeppelin on their first tour in '69, and I frickin love Tom Petty. The Lollar Tele pups are your ticket for true early 60's Tele-Tone. Albert Lee is my all time favorite Tele guy, even though he's been playing an Ernie Ball for the last hundred years. He plays it REAL CLEAN, but it still sounds dirty.

11. Dave

Dave Member

And let's not forget Pete Townshend. ;)

So, which Lollar pickups are you referring to? I don't see AlNiCo III Tele pickups on his site.

12. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Get a Lollar vintage neck and a special bridge. This is what I use most of the time on builds and they are awesome together!

13. randuro

randuro Member

Big +1. Just did a PU change with the Lollar's and added a 4 way switch with new compensated brass saddles. Threw in a little shielding and holy crap!!! This guitar went from thin and weak to thick and fat. The ability to go from series to parallel switching is awesome. The extra kick in the bridge PU pushes things into overdrive just beautifully. Roll off the tone knob and you can tweak out a P-90 sound. Lollar wasn't messing around when he wound these.:drool

14. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

15. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

Just finishing comparing some Don Mares to an original '59 and an original '52. There are some great boutique pickups out there but if you've ever tried to get close to the original you know how near impossible it is. Not anymore.

16. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

I just put a set of Custom Shop Texas Specials in a 69 ri mim thinline. I found the pots were 1 meg. I swaped them out for some 250 k CTS and this is the best sounding tele I have heard. Are the pots 250k? Just my 2 cents worth.

17. Seegs

Seegs Member

GVCG/Lollar pups are ALIII...aged from JW and unaged from JL...you have to specify ALIII...very musical pups with a dry clear neck tone and a really nice bridge...I love em clean and they overdrive creamy smooth with nice articulation...

Chow,
    Seegs

18. DonM

DonM Member

Once you decide on the maker,

you should try to order a set with - the bridge up to at least 7.2k to 7.5k

keep the neck down to around 6.2k try to get a nickel silver cover - or use a Strat neck pup..

also, get them wax potted for your distortion peds.

Thats the same advise I would give to one of my customers - if they mentioned
    these same requirements as you have here - and I've had pretty good luck with the Ol' Crystal Ball - predicting things.. LOL:RoCkIn

PS.. for 4 years - prior to owning my own Pickup making Bizz.. I used the Duncan Broadcaster bridge pup and 5/2 Nashville neck pup ~ thru a Route 66 Tube Screamer 808 style pedal - it gave me 4 years of outstanding service - I still own that guitar with those pups,its retired - but I'll never part it out. just in case I want that sound back - and I have 4 years exp. with those frequencies in bedded in my sub conscience ... hate to toss that away -- so the guitar remains intact..

if you go to You tube and search Don mare and select part 4/6 - about 1/2 way in I put down the black guitar and play the Brown one - thats the Duncan loaded Tele -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khyagAuo8QY
    But you'll need to scroll over to "4:20" on this Clip:

19. strat6866

strat6866 Member

Thanks for all the advice! I have decided on (and purchased) a set of Lollars. I will check back in once they have been installed and tested.

20. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member