help me choose /use a fuzz, or confirm i dont need one

norumba

ok, ladies and gents, here we go:
am really wondering if i need a fuzz or not. ..

current rig is:
microPOG -> Barber Tone Press -> TMC1 wah ->Route 808 TS -> seymour duncan TTClassic ->microVibe -> pitchblack tuner -> chorus (DC2, soon to be replaced by Seraph) -> SMMwH -> RV5 (soon t arrive also), into two Blackheart combos.

currently the duncan is set up as an always on clean boost, with the Route 808 feeding into it as needed for leads and /or other drama/tone/emphasis. I use the lead channel on the TTC for heavier rhythm or riffing tones.

I get a nice noisy over the top saturation with the Route 808 into the TTC lead channel. not sure if id describe it as a classic fuzz, but it seems pretty wild!

everything seems to clean up well with volume knob and is pretty pick responsive, both of whch ill need if i get a fuzz. need lots of low end too, to accomodate the low c to high f tuning.

what i dont like about the fuzzes ive heard is that almost all of them seem too spitty /fizzy for me -- i hate that high end nastiness. Dont like the loss of mids either. Some Muff style fuzzes seem to have that less of that high end spit for me from what ive heard and seen on various clips.

if i go with a fuzz, its down to a little big muff, muff w/tone wicker, or [SIZE=-1]Effectors Musket, but im open to other considerations.

on the other hand, im not sure if I need one, so heres where i really need some user info: if people are running Ods and distortions and fuzzes, how are they using each one for what kind of musical application? What kinds of territories am i not covering due to an absence of fuzz?

would also wonder, if i decide i need one, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]where[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] it would go in the chain and how it would play with the route 808 and TTC.

many thanks all!
[/SIZE]

I'm using a Sweetsound Pi Face, which is very nice on its own, as well as stacked w/ an Eternity and a BoR.

I don't know if it's the *best* Muff clone, but it sure has made a believer out of me- thick, rich, and gobs of chewy goodness that my other fuzzes can't quite replicate.

Of course, it depends greatly on your playing style, and what sounds you want to hear coming from your amp, but I would never part with mine! :)

Turiguiliano

check out blackout effectors musket fuzz. great build quality as i read in two forums. amazing range of fuzz tones. and best of all, it's less than $200.

JUSTJOB

Maybe a Keeley FuzzHead, although, it is not a Muff type fuzz, but more of a FuzzFace type. I recommend the FuzzHead because it is not really spitty, but rather smooth as well as has some mids. It also gets along well with a wah pedal too, and is a fairly versatile musical fuzz and has quite a range of tonal adjustment range to it as well.
You might like a Voodoo Labs SuperFuzz too, and this one may be worth trying as well for a smooth fuzz with a "mids" knob.
Either of these fuzzes I would place right after the wah and befor the drive pedals in your chain of effects. You might try the fuzz after your drives if you want an "over the top" type fuzz tone. Although, I would prefer the Vibe before all dirt, but that just would be my preference.

norumba

The blackout effectors musket fuzz is indeed a strong contender; saw the video for it at proguitarshop and it certainly has an appeal. i like the mids and smoothness of it, not sure how it will do on my low tuning, eed to study that video carefully or look at others.

had the VL superfuzz a long time ago,and traded it several months ago before this pedal craze to a guitar repair/set up genius who likes to collect pedals. i actually got it back from him last weekend and i've been trying it out. i like the mids and it doesnt eat the lows, but it still has a certain harshness or brittleness to it in my setup (after wah, pre-drives , as you recommended). it did work much better in conjunction with the drives but on its own, i didnt really care for it that much.

itll still onthe board for now , but the search is still on...

( theres a wooly mammoth at list price at music go round here, but i just cant see spending 359 for something that wont be used a whole lot anyway)....

but im listening and learning, and defining the parameters:

need a thick rich chewy Muff-type fuzz that can handle my low C tuning with good pick articulation (unlike some muffs), good with chords and lines, cleans up well with guitar volume, plays nice with a couple of tube screamer style drives, and isnt too picky about chain placement....

ibodog

Next time you try a fuzz play with your guitar's volume and tone knobs. I hated fuzzes until I rolled off the guitar tone a bit and rolled the volume on the guitar to find the level of fizziness that sounded good. I used to achieve a fuzz like tone by just running a Dyna Comp into a Tube Screamer into the dirty channel on the amp pretty much like you're doing.

norumba

I'm sorry, but I just don't get threads like these. It's like asking us to make up your mind for you....which is, essentially, an exercise in futility.

Here's the way I feel about it. If you're not sure if you need a fuzz pedal, or any other effects pedal for that matter, don't buy one just yet. First, do a lot of research into the artists who use them, the tones they're producing, what make/models they're using, and the gear they're using them with. After you've done that, believe me...you'll know if you need one or not. That's seriously the best advice I can give you.
Maybe i titled the thread wrong, sorry -- perhaps i should have said simply 'educate me about fuzz pedals' or something to that effect. But I didnt say ' choose a pedal for me', i said 'help me choose'. I'm not asking for people to make up my mind, just seeking information from people with more experience w/fuzzes than i so that i can make an informed decision. And yes , im also doing all of that research you mentioned, and seeking info here is a component of that process, but not the only one.

I'm a huge fan of late 60's style music and tones...Hendrix, Page, and Beck, in particular.
im with you there, though oddly its not what im going after in terms of tone for my own work...

recordmusic

Maybe a Keeley FuzzHead, although, it is not a Muff type fuzz, but more of a FuzzFace type. I recommend the FuzzHead because it is not really spitty, but rather smooth as well as has some mids. It also gets along well with a wah pedal too, and is a fairly versatile musical fuzz and has quite a range of tonal adjustment range to it as well.
+1

I went through so many drives/distortions until I realized I was looking for a fuzz. BTW, I run my fuzz before wah. I really like this and recommend trying it.

Fuzz>Wah>FDII>BD-2>comp>FatBoost is my gain sequence.