1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me choose which of these ~$1000 acoustics to buy

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by gavinashun, Aug 1, 2020.

1. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

Hi guys,

I'm a longtime electric (funk/fusion/soul) and archtop (jazz) player. I want to buy an acoustic to start singing songs with my 4 year old and just playing around the house. Budget is $1000. I think I would tend towards a darker/warmer tone for an acoustic.

I did my gearpage research and I've got it down to these options (all used). Would love anyone to weigh in and help me choose!

Martin 000-15M 2018 with Hard Case ($1000+$100)
    https://reverb.com/item/34994658-martin-000-15m-2018-with-hard-case

Eastman E10OOSS 2020 ($999 + $69)
    https://reverb.com/item/34290852-eastman-e10ooss-2020

Eastman E20SS 2000 Slope Shoulder Dreadnaught Sunburst ($960 + $100)
    https://reverb.com/item/34799016-eastman-e20ss-2000-slope-shoulder-dreadnaught-sunburst

Larrivee Simple Six Acoustic Guitar Sunburst ($1000 + 0)
    https://reverb.com/item/33076128-larrivee-simple-six-acoustic-guitar-sunburst

Blue Ridge Historic Series Full-Size Dreadmaught 2020 Natural ($1199 + $50)
    https://reverb.com/item/34997951-blue-ridge-historic-series-full-size-dreadmaught-2020-natural

I'll buy one of these today - help me buy my guitar! :)

2. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Supporting Member

On that case, go with the Martin 00015M. Wonderful warm tone, beautiful understated looks. It might be the last guitar you'll ever buy, but will hold its value well if it isn't.

slooky, lostpoet2 and gavinashun like this.
  3. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

Thanks man - that is a pretty strong recommendation!

4. Bobbybigbucks

Bobbybigbucks Gold Supporting Member

The Blueridge specs now are "Santos rosewood" back and sides, which is another word for Pau Ferro. That BR guitar looks more like PF than EIR IMO.

They all look like nice guitars. Do a little haggling and get the seller's bottom line price before you decide.

derekd and gavinashun like this.
  5. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

For warm, I also would go with the Martin, but I would be checking neck angle in any acoustic I bought. That is, will there still be a reasonable amount of saddle left when it is set up (neck relief, saddle height) to my liking? This is because the action deteriorates over time on many acoustics due to string tension.

gavinashun likes this.
  6. jklotz

jklotz Member

Out of those choices, I'd definitely be the Eastman's or the Martin. I'm an Eastman fan, and love that e10-OOss, but your comment about darker/warmer tone leads me to think the Martin would fit that bill better than anything else on your list.

derekd and gavinashun like this.
  7. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I concur with the above.

8. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

derekd likes this.
  9. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

You might want to check out and compare nut widths, neck carves, string spread at the bridge and such before you make the call.

OM Flyer likes this.
  10. jklotz

jklotz Member

I agree with this. They both have 1-11/16'' nut. The Eastman will have a little fuller neck shape (which I vastly prefer) and the Martin has the thin MLO neck.

11. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

While that is usually the case, there are some wonderful Eastman guitars that sound very Martin-like. I was handed and Eastman when I was last in the USA and was told it sounded like a Martin. I didn't believe it. Then I played it. Now I believe it. It also was about $800.00 less than the Martin.

12. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

OP I think you've got the choosing point backwards. As we all know, each guitar is different but with acoustics it's even more so. If I need to buy an acoustic it would start with trips to as many stores as I could. Find one that talks to you and inspires you. Shopping for an acoustic any other way is more of a gamble than I'm willing to take. I would never have thought I'd want to a carbon fiber guitar...but after playing one, plugging it in....I loved it. Best of luck...

Steadfastly likes this.
  13. alberob

alberob Member

Close your eyes or better yet blindfold yourself And let you ears and fingers choose the best one for you without being influenced by what brand it is.

Steadfastly likes this.
  14. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

But letting your fingers and ears make the decision presupposes the OP has time under his belt with, if not the specific guitars he is looking at, at least other models. Anything else, opinions aside, is a leap of faith. But more often as not it works out. I have purchased guitars sight unseen three times in recent memory. Two were older instruments costing me only a couple of hundred bucks each and were rare enough that chances of finding another were slim and none. The third ran me considerably more but was also an instance of a guitar which even in the best of times was almost impossible for me to try out. But I was a nervous wreck second guessing my decision to buy something that expensive I had not held in my sweaty little hands first. One of the longest weeks I have ever spent.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  15. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

Excellent advice. I have surprised myself a few times when picking up a guitar I wouldn't have given a chance of buying.

16. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

17. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

That Eastman is similar to my '33 L-00 which i have had for almost 30 years, and from your list that would be my top choice, but you did say warm, and you might find that adi/mahogany combination a bit hard and bright.

gavinashun likes this.
  18. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

Pretty hard to do from my computer ... and when guitar stores are more or less closed in my area.

19. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

Thanks all! I bought the Martin. Love the TGP reviews I've been reading, love the looks, seems like the resale value is high ... and I'm not even scared by people who say they hate the thin neck - someone who has been a 100% electric guitarist might even like this. Anyway, I'm psyched!

20. dB

dB Member

Good choice. I’ve played some great eastmans, but I’ve played an equal amount of average Eastmans. Every Martin I’ve ever played has had ‘that Martin vibe’. An all mahogany guitar is something all acoustic players should have in the collection.

gavinashun likes this.