Help me choose, xotic EP RC or fulltone fat boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kurt1981, Dec 19, 2009.

1. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Hey guys, narrowed it down to these three based on clips and reviews, but not sure which is best for my needs. I'm using single-coils and humbuckers, and this will run before an AC and a BB preamp, just to boost the front end of either pedal a bit for solos, also to give me a jump out for clean stuff. I do a lot of R&B and soul stuff, looking for sort of a suble thickener if that makes any sense. I like that the RC and fat boost have EQ, that'd be nice to vary the tone, but if the EP sounds good enough maybe the EQ isn't needed. I also wondered, can the fat boost (latest version) be completely clean like the RC or is there always gain in it?
    Thanks for the help,
    Kurt

2. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

The EP is a "warm" boost and makes your whole sound bigger. You can add a little sparkle to it with the presence switch inside though. I like the RC for cleanish sounds and the EP after my ODs for solos and stuff. I've never played the Fat Boost.

3. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Bump for other comments?

4. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

I play mostly tweeds and P90's. My favorite home/recording rig is a Treble Boost>Comp>MIAB type OD>Fat Boost (V3)>Bluesbreaker based OD>Vibe>EP type booster. Each has it's own voice and I wouldn't leave any of them out. The EP pedal adds a sweetness and finishing tone to the overall sound, and the Fat Boost @ 18volts helps create an absolute kickass clean tone, which as you know isn't always easy with a tweed. The FB does nothing (IMO) to enhance either of the ODs though. If your question is which of the two, EP type or FB, my answer is both. If only one is possible, my Badgerplex (EP type) was the better purchase in my world.

5. 66Park

66Park Member

The RC would be perfect for your needs. It stacks really well with the AC and BB, too.

6. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Own all three. The EP is awesome for clean sounds - makes them bigger and sweeter. Don't like it very much for boosting dirt tones. Like the RC better as an all-around boost pedal. Like the FB for its crunchy sounds when the drive is cranked. Not as good as the RC as an all-around boost IMO.

7. jchan

jchan Member

I have all three and they are all reasonably similar IMO. The EP raises the high end a bit without an adjustable EQ. I haven't tried changing the internal dip switches yet.

The RC is good and can be tweaked with the EQ nicely and also can be setup for a bit of crunch or just clean. The RC does stack well with other Xotic pedals.

The Fat Boost version III (I believe) is also good. I haven't played with it much but it seems to me like a standard clean boost that boosts the signal and improves the high end a bit.

In summary, if small size, set it and forget it is important, the EP would be good. If variability in gain and EQ is important, go with the RC or Fat Boost. IMO, there is some subtle difference between them but not a large difference.

8. richpjr

richpjr Member

I somewhat agree with this, but will say that boosting my Strat with the EP just pushes the sound to another level - I always leave it on. It's much more hit or miss with my LP.

9. Sherwood

Sherwood Member

Can't go wrong with either the EP or RC. The RC is more versatile though..

Perhaps this is out of subject, but.. Have you tried or researched the Durham Sexdrive? This boost pedal is addictive.. A real tone enhancer, specially if you're into R&B and clean stuff.

10. drolling

drolling Member

Hey Kurt, I've no experience with the Fulltone pedal in question, but I've got a few of his pedals I'll never part with

And I feel the same way about the Xotics - both of which are on my board. The RC's been on there for a while now, and does not stand for "Really Clean".. Because it's NOT. With the gain dimed, it's actually a pretty cool sounding overdrive pedal - The sensitivity of the EQ controls make it one of the most flexible, useful musical tools I own. Just the thing for a player who's switching back & forth between singles & 'buckers, but using the same amp

Love the EP too, but I never set it above zero - where there's already an appreciable boost in volume. An 'always on' pedal, I like what it does with single coils (strats/teles) better than what I get when I plug in a PAF-loaded Flying V - and, depending on what else's in the chain, I've gotten some real nasty sounding clipping when I set the control past noon

If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably go with the RC - but i wouldn't be happy about it. Nice to have BOTH!