Help me come up with a FLY RIG!!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by JB Eckl, Feb 19, 2012.

1. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

I'm hitting the road! But it's all fly dates, and no crew... so no 'big iron.' Here are the parameters:

(1.) It's rootsy music, but I'm a tweaker so I need to have great tremolos, tape echo, reverb etc. Think Black Keys meets Ry Cooder.

(2.) I need to incorporate at least one electric and one acoustic, so the rig has to be set up to handle both.

(3.) Running around these huge airports with guitars and heavy bags SUCKS. So I have to strike a balance between taking essentials on the plane and checking some of it as luggage.

Thoughts: I could just go with a pedalboard, using the Liverpool pedal as an amp sim and my Radial PZ-Pre for acoustic. I also have an M13, which in my opinion has killer old-school stomp effects.

OR I could try to make it a little more 'real' and get a Mesa TransAtlantic 15 head, and use rented cabinets or a speaker sim.

OR I could just say forget the whole mess and try to get my hands on an Axe II.

Thanks for your input, lads!!

2. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

this. big time!

3. Swain

Swain Member

Maybe a TC Flashback Delay, because it covers a lot of bases.
    TC Chorus/Flanger because it works equally well with Electric, Acoustic and Vocals.
    Compressor of some sort.
    Nova for everything else.
    Run it all through your Radial and Liverpool as you mentioned.

4. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Maybe a TC Electronic G System as well? I think it has high quality sounds with presets and it is set up for live use. I know Pete Thorn was using one as a fly rig for awhile, maybe he still is or he'll chime in.

5. Defendant

Defendant Member

M9 into Liverpool. Maybe add an ehx Magnum 44 and male-male and femal-male speaker cables so you can plug into cabs and combo speakers.

6. iainmc

iainmc Member

it all depends on how many days you expect your trips to be, how stinky your clothes will get (clothes that are dripping wet one night that don't dry properly can end up really funky after 3 nights...) & whether anyone complies to your rider (or you can borrow stuff). here are my 5 tips:

1) you can never trust what you are going to end up if it is provided on the other end (nels cline has a great article on amp de jour here http://www.nelscline.com/tech.html). expect lowest common denominator - i'd suggest requesting something basic like a fender deluxe or a twin - clean that can get some volume. there is a reason that touring groups use really generic stuff - its what is available everywhere.
    2) my aim would be work out how you can get through without checking any bags. that includes clothes.
    3) i'd look at a roll aboard with clothes & board (expect to have to pull it apart each time you check in
    4) an acoustic & electric? does the acoustic have to be real? i'd be looking at a varix or something. or the tyler version. I did fly shows with both a single guitar & with a double guitar bag. the double guitar bag I have is about the size of a small acoustic & worked really well (doesn't look like incase make them anymore but there are others). If I were doing it again, i'd only do one guitar. I have taken my acoustic on a load of planes - i'd hate to have to take it with an electric & a board

the real issues - especially with checking stuff - comes with travel routes. every connection is a pain & I've had cheap management who put us through 2 stops to get to a gig. on one the bass players girlfriend came with us - she checked her bag & made him do it. guess who didn't get their clothes for 2 days?

7. spamsponge

spamsponge Member

I know this won't be a popular answer, but we play similar things.

In the not so distant past I was working out what minimal setup I could use for gigs. I picked up at various times a Vox Tonelab LE, Digitech RP500 and RP1000 and a Boss GT10. Neither Digitech lasted 10 days. I kept the GT10 and Vox.

The GT10 won by a landslide but it took way more effort in setting up patches and the 2 channels I used on the PA than the other 2.
    I imagine if my playing was more than a weekend hobby I'd pick up an Axe II or 11Rack though I loathe the time wasted playing with them...

If you have a friend with a GT10 or don't mind doing the 30 day test drive with Guitarcenter, give it a try.