help me date this fender amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sf audio, Nov 20, 2017.

1. sf audio

sf audio Member

I'm looking at a fender super reverb silverface at a local shop. The tube chart on the side says AB763, so I wonder if that's one of the 1st production silverfaces.

I read that the transformers should read "EIA 606" and then three or four digits that say year and week. The transformer on this amp has "E022798 606852". In theory that should be 1968 and the 52nd week, but I don't know if this is correct.

Any help is appreciated on how I can date this amp. It sounds good, but only one original speaker and at least one on of the four is noticeably blown. They want $600 for it, which may or may not be a good deal. It's in fair condition at best...

Thanks

I

2. TEPR

TEPR Member

Fair price depending where you live.

3. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

That's a fine price. The AB568 came out next. The AB763 is the classic, desirable circuit. I'm sure the amp is probably from 1968 or early 69. The only way to know is to look at the other transformers and for any other dates stamped in the chassis.

4. sf audio

sf audio Member

got a pic of the tranny - says 606 -8-18, which means the 18th week of 1968. I was born five weeks earlier. I think its a sign to tell me to buy this amp....but only one original speaker and one or more are blown, so that's more $$$. It's not in great shape, definitely worn.

I fired it up and played next to new fender amps....you can instantly tell why the older ones are desired, especially the AB763 circuit. The news ones were kinda lame in comparison, more stiff and sterile.

If I want to replace the speakers, what are period correct speakers?

Thanks

5. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

Tell me the name of the shop that has a first year Silverface for $600 and I'll make your decision for you. ;)

Microdot and Blanket Jackson like this.
  6. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

$600 for a 1969 Super Reverb is a great price, even with one blown speaker. You can have it reconed for about $50. Have a tech run through it to make sure all is well, and you have a great amp.

7. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

8. muchXS

muchXS Member

606852 is 52nd week of '68 making it an early '69 and deftly sidestepping the dreaded Year of the Monkey.

I'd be all over it for $600.

The guys who say, "I never see deals like that!" are the same people who check with their buds on the internet rather than reaching for their wallets. It's like the Wild West. I'd be workin' on my quick draw if I were you.

9. sf audio

sf audio Member

Yeah, just found out it was recently serviced too, so I'm going to find out what was done to it. It worked and sounded fine, save for little quirky stuff like a slight pop on the bright switch. It definitely has seen its use, and has the look and feel of a well traveled amp. The reverb did seem flat sounding and not "boingy" like you are used to. Maybe that's how the reverb is on these amps?

I can probably haggle a bit since its got the blown speaker and three of them are unknown brands, and its not a beauty. Going to grab it today - its a store that's going out of business so they may be open to that. For the money I'm not going to find another Fender that's as good....played a couple of deluxe reverbs and a vibrolux next to it. They were new, bu that's the only thing I could say was better.

The guy at the shop was saying that some folks just make the amp a 2x10, saying it sounded good that way and reduced the weight. These are heavy beasts.

10. muchXS

muchXS Member

Thing about old Fenders especially big old Fenders... many of them have been rode hard and put up wet. Reverb pan may have one broken spring if it's even the right one, someone may have used a 12AU7 as a reverb driver "To tone down the reverb..."

Never ask, "How bad can it be?" You probably won't like the answer. Buy a "thousand dollar" amp for $600 or as you say, you might even get it for less. Budget a few bucks for service.

Cheaper than a Vibrolux...

Consider using a Bassman output transformer if you do a cut- down.

11. sf audio

sf audio Member

One followup question - the tube chart does not have that two letter code, "QA", or similar. Is it common for the tube charts not to have codes?

12. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Fender stopped stamping tube charts around August of 1967.

13. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

If it's a 68/69 that's a great price if it had the original speakers. Should have the wood cleats inside that the speaker baffle is screwed on to. So that would be a BF style cab. A good thing! Many tube charts are not marked on. No big deal. Not sure with non original speakers as the originals are worth $250-300 for the set on Ebay. I think those lightweight speakers are part of the beauty of a Super. But it depends on how you play.

14. sf audio

sf audio Member

I've got a pair of Jensen 10's I'll throw in this amp. If I wanted to only use two speakers, I hook them up parallel and all is fine? The amp seems to want 2 ohms with four speakers, so it would be OK with two 8ohms in parallel so it sees 4 ohms?

Thanks

15. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

Take your time before you try and plug in. Get to know the knobs and switches first.

FenderBigot likes this.
  16. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson is Tio's favorite Silver Supporting Member

this ^

17. muchXS

muchXS Member

4 ohms isn't ideal but it will work.

You could make it like a Poor Man's Tweed Bandmaster and run it through your two Jensens and the lone surviving CTS. :cool:

18. sf audio

sf audio Member

So 4ohms taxes the amp? If I hook up three speakers what is the OHMS for that? 2.67 or something like that?

Is the super expecting a 2 ohm load?

19. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I know people like fender amps, but enough to date them???

20. sf audio

sf audio Member

I prefer to play them once and then sell them the next day.