Help me decide between at Blues Deluxe and Hot Rod Deluxe III

aleiberman

i am going to pull the trigger on one of these. I know this has been talked about many times. I am probabaly going to buy new. I have owned so many amps, blackface, boutiques, big, small, but i am down to only a single 5w swart str tremolo which i love, but i miss a larger wattage amp sound, and fender cleans, and an amp that is great with pedals. I will never give up the swart btw. I also play mainly at home, and jam occassionally. I have owned pro juniors and blues juniors, and they are not for me. i have actually owned a Hot rod deluxe III which i returned because i didnt really need it at the time. I also have a wgs et-65 which i might upgrade in either of these amps at some point. I might try them back to back at the store but was curious what others has for feedback. Also, is one have better volume management then the other? Really looking for a fender sound and versitility. I have also considered the drri, which i have also owned years ago, but it always felt like a 1 trick pony.

Thanks

FenderGuy53

i am going to pull the trigger on one of these. I know this has been talked about many times. I am probabaly going to buy new. I have owned so many amps, blackface, boutiques, big, small, but i am down to only a single 5w swart str tremolo which i love, but i miss a larger wattage amp sound, and fender cleans, and an amp that is great with pedals. I will never give up the swart btw. I also play mainly at home, and jam occassionally. I have owned pro juniors and blues juniors, and they are not for me. i have actually owned a Hot rod deluxe III which i returned because i didnt really need it at the time. I also have a wgs et-65 which i might upgrade in either of these amps at some point. I might try them back to back at the store but was curious what others has for feedback. Also, is one have better volume management then the other? Really looking for a fender sound and versitility. I have also considered the drri, which i have also owned years ago, but it always felt like a 1 trick pony.

Thanks

Well, if you really mean what you said, then my vote would be the HRDx III, no ifs, ands or buts about it!

Rumble5

I've always liked the Blues Deluxes I've had more than the Hot Rods I've had, and I still have a '92 2x12 Blues Deville. But it was a decade or so ago when I was flipping amps, so I have no experience with any of the newer incarnations of them.

Madison

Can't comment on the BD, but just today Fedex dropped off a new HRD. I had tired of tube amp weight and spent a year using ss amps...a couple Quilters and a Katana. So the HRD is not THAT heavy, and it blows away the ss amps. Man, it sounds so good I can't believe it, so nice to be back with Fender hot rod series.

aleiberman

So just an update here, I went a completly different route. I picked up a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 Plus. Loving it so far. I think the cleans are fantastic and the blues and crunch modes are also very cool. It is built like a tank too!

Gravy11

Do you guys have that board rattle problem with your HRD? Not tube rattle but a rattle when you play lows. It seems to be an ongoing issue. I have it. Such a great amp but that is awful. My buddy and I are modding it Friday. Making sure everything is soldered down properly. I love it though aside from the rattle.

DV52

I heard a guy playing a HRD with a celestion A speaker in it the other day and it sounded fantastic.

aleiberman

They are great sounding amps. Honestly, i still might get a hrd. In the end, I felt like the boogie express could do everything the HRD could do and then some. Is it a fender, no, but feel it can cover it pretty well for now. I will be gassing for an HRD in a few hours :)

FenderGuy53

So just an update here, I went a completly different route. I picked up a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 Plus. Loving it so far. I think the cleans are fantastic and the blues and crunch modes are also very cool. It is built like a tank too!

You were looking for a "Fender sound", but Mesa's have what folks call the "California sound", which is distinctly different than a Fender sound. So...

In the end, you really didn't know what you wanted, but you knew what you liked. ;)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom