Help me decide - Bogner Red/Burnley - Friedman OD-BE

jfiedler26

Forgive me in advance as I have read some similar posts, but I'm really having a hard time deciding.
My amp is a Vox AC30 HW, and I'm looking for a higher gain pedal. Also, play humbucker guitars.

I'm really digging what I've heard on various demo reviews of Ecstasy Red, the Burnley and the Friedman. I love really amp like gain pedals that are tight with good mids.

Anyone have any experience with these 3 playing through a Vox set on fairly clean and chimey setting?

Last edited:
I have both the burnley and the BEOD and had the red. The BEOD has become my "sound". Love the burnley, it just has certain amps it likes. I think the vox would be good with it. Likes to be ran bright IMHO because it is so dark...but it is good too. I did not like the red at all. Prob just the amp i was using. But between those, IMHO, i prefer the BEOD. Brings that heavy heavy.

jfiedler26

I have both the burnley and the BEOD and had the red. The BEOD has become my "sound". Love the burnley, it just has certain amps it likes. I think the vox would be good with it. Likes to be ran bright IMHO because it is so dark...but it is good too. I did not like the red at all. Prob just the amp i was using. But between those, IMHO, i prefer the BEOD. Brings that heavy heavy.

What didn't you like about the Red?

What didn't you like about the Red?
I just couldnt get the sound i was wanting. I sold it to another TGP'r. I may have to retry it honestly. But i didnt like it going into my rectoverb combo. :dunno

Since selling it, i have retubed and put a creamback in the rectoverb. Much different (better IMHO) amp now. Like i said, probably need to retry it.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Both the bogner pedals feel great... I had a blue for a while and loved it through an ac30. Like someone else said, the burnley is dark dark dark so it might be great with that amp. It's super thick too. I tried the red but I think I played a bad one... so noisy but it sounded good and felt like I expected.

I'd think you'd have a buzzy box of angry bees with a BE OD into an ac30... I was thoroughly underwhelmed by that one. Just noise and fizz across all the knobs

Both the bogner pedals feel great... I had a blue for a while and loved it through an ac30. Like someone else said, the burnley is dark dark dark so it might be great with that amp. It's super thick too. I tried the red but I think I played a bad one... so noisy but it sounded good and felt like I expected.

I'd think you'd have a buzzy box of angry bees with a BE OD into an ac30... I was thoroughly underwhelmed by that one. Just noise and fizz across all the knobs

That is what i love about forums. You get both ends of the spectrum on things. I happen to love the BEOD with my setup. But to some, it isnt the ticket. Good input.

jfiedler26

I was curious about this. I'm a big fan of Bogner Amps. Have owned both a Shiva and an Ecstasy. Ive always felt that Marshall type amps and pedals have a fizziness that I've never got along with.

BerkeleyJones

Having gigged the Burnley for 2+ years, and now the Friedman for 3 or sk months, I can speak to these well. They have been my two go to high gain pedals for some time. I've gone through essentially all that i can think of, and these two were the best. Only thing that kicked the Burnley was the Friedman.

The Burnley undeniably has more mids than the Friedman. It is a dark pedal, but with a gorgeous low-mid EQ that makes it very smooth and never too fizzy. When I gigged it, I ran it into a Twin set pretty damn bright. Additionally, the Burnley HAS to be loud. It is incredible at stage volume but a little muddy and dark at band practice or bedroom volume and dynamics can be lost a bit. With a Vox, the Burnley is the best high gain you could go with!

The Friedman, which I currently use, is decidably more scooped. I used to use the Burnley as a standalone, but I run the Friedman into a mid like pedal to regain those mids but, yes, it is amp like believe you me. The key to the Friedman is spending a solid few hours tweaking its presence and tight knobs. Those are the secret to dialing in that pedal. It is so organic and I don't think I could have a more amp like option at my feet. BUT, that's into a '59 Bassman.

The red I never enjoyed that much, and I think with a Vox would be at danger of sounding "pedally" with the high frequencies.

Cheers!

thawn5150

Silver Supporting Member
I have had the red bogner- great pedal but I quite prefer the Be od just has a tone that is wicked. I use it low or high gain applications very amp like pedal.

Godspeed64

As a Vox HW user myself, since you are willing to spend the dough (not sure on real estate), the Gurus 1959DD has been the best drive experience I've had. Displaced every other drive I've ever had, and has had rave reviews by my gear geek friends as well. Goes head-to-head with a Pink Taco on Floor 1 alone, but with slightly less volume cleanup than the Friedman amp. Floor 2 has more in common with a goosed up Dirty Shirley.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom