1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help me decide - combo vs. head+cab

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by fishman919, Oct 12, 2017.

1. fishman919

fishman919 Supporting Member

I've been learning on bass for a couple of months (primarily a guitar player) and I'm ready for my first amp. My needs are pretty basic, practice plus light gigging. I don't want anything huge but I would like to be able to handle a small-medium area. My budget is $500.

Locally I've found a Peavey Headliner 210 cab and a SWR Workingman's 15 cab, each for a pretty good price. I think either would be sufficient for size but a little heavy. My local GC has a used TC BH250 which seems to work and sound fine. Or I could go with a different mini head (Rumble 200, GB, etc.)

In combos I really like the Rumble's, specifically the 200. My local GC also has the TC BG250 210 which sounds good, but there are lots of reported reliability issues on the TC bass products. I think they've had this one on the floor for a while. My local mom and pop has a couple of Peavey Max's in stock (112 and 115) but I haven't tried those.

I'm mostly looking for feedback on the two cabs above (with or without the BH250), or feedback on the BG250. Other options are welcome also.

Thanks,

2. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

Rumble combos are great.

3. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

For me, in a rock context, I like at least 200-300 watts and a 410 if a clean sound is the aim. At that power level, head and cab are the way to go. Class D amps have changed this somewhat, as have Neo speakers, and I think the Rumble, GK, MB series, and Markbass 12 and 15" combos represent an amazing value given their weight and output. But I find many players are hard pressed to keep up with a band with a single speaker, or even 2x 10s as you will find in a combo. 4-8x 10s and 2x12/15s put you into an area where you are very unlikely to run out of volume, and the wattage means you stay clean doing it. I actually find my big Peavey 215 easier to get in and out of my van than my EBS Neo 410, despite the peavey weighing 30 pounds more, because I can tilt and push it in, vs the dead lift with the 410.

4. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

New bass player + practice needs + light gigging duties = combo.

Check out the Fender Rumbles. Also the TC Electronic bass amps, and the low end Gallien-Kruegers.

If you want even cheaper than that, look for one of those amps used. If you're looking to spend less than $200 on a bass amp, then I have to wonder if you even need one to begin with.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Ok. Well I’m a full time bass player in a heavy 3 piece and I use full SVT rigs.

You? I recommend a combo of at least 200 watts with at least one 12 or 15 inch speaker. When gigging DI to the PA.

Thor likes this.
  6. joshinthecity

joshinthecity Member

Rumble 200.
    Done and done.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

stretch your budget $100 or hunt around used and get yourself a rumble 500 combo!

it's light, fits in a car seat, is strong enough by itself for lower volume gigs and (important) will "scale up"; get the matching 2x10 cab down the road and you'll actually have a loud rock and roll stack.

the scaling is key; otherwise you buy a cheap practice combo then when it's not enough anymore you get to buy another entire bass rig from scratch, essentially throwing away the money you spent on the first amp. the rumble 500 can be expanded for bigger gigs so you don't need to buy the amp twice.

Thor and Floyd Eye like this.
  8. fishman919

fishman919 Supporting Member

I ended up with the Rumble 200. It’s working well so far!

59burst and Teh RedWizard like this.
  9. ballynally

ballynally Member

Yes, that rumble200 is nice.congrats.it will work most of the time.Personally i prefer a head+cab.For the money one spend on the Rumble200 one could get a good Ampeg/Markbass/GK or even Fender amp head with more power than add one or two cabs to suit the venue, deviding the weight of the total package.
    the Rumble200 is 140w with the internal 8 ohm speaker and 200w with an extention.That's too low imo but might not be an issue depending on style of music/venue.i'd say a minimum of 200w 8 Ohm is needed for sufficient oomph.i have an Ampeg PF350 head that has the right specs w 200w at 8 Ohm and 350w at 4 Ohm w extention speaker.