• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help me decide if I might like a Strat

kselbee

Silver Supporting Member
I've always been a dual humbucker player and I'm mostly into PRS these days. However, after watching these two vids I'm starting to think about a Strat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W73uafFYMA4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2khOu-d014

Now, I'm nowhere near the player of either of these guys, but I like the tone they're getting. I'm considering either an American Standard or Deluxe HSS. Would either of these get me there? Or might I need to change pickups and possibly add pedals? Would one be better than the other? Is the Deluxe worth the additional $500? My primary amps are Egnater (Renegade and Rebel 30) which should have plenty of gain on tap. Anything else I should consider? Thanks...

bkatx

I think a HSS strat is about as versatile as you can get. After that you should be fine with the proper pedals

Larry Mal

Strats are great, you know? I don't know why you'd want a hum bucker on there since you probably already have that in your other guitars. Let a Strat be a Strat already.

The Deluxe mainly differentiates itself with a compound radius. I don't think I would want that, I'd get an American Standard myself.

Another alternative, which is what I own in the Strat realm, is a G&L Legacy. That one had a hum bucker in the bridge, I ripped that out as soon as I bought it and put a single coil in.

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
If you're into PRS, consider an NF3 or DC3. I've thought about them hard - particularly the NF3. Korina body, maple neck with the amazing PRS trem. I got to play the NF pickups through a Deluxe Reverb RI this week and they were as promised - humbucker-ish wound full up, P90-esque when backed down to 7 or 8, and in strat territory when down around 5 or 6 on the volume.

Might be a "gateway" drug for you.

The only real way to know is if you buy or borrow one and spend some quality time with it. Do you have a friend who would loan you a Strat for a few weeks?

kselbee

Silver Supporting Member
I've played them a bit in the past but they've always sounded to thin. But I think if I really had the chance to play it through my rig maybe I could dial it in a bit. Can anyone comment on the current American Standard? Good choice?

The current American Standards are great guitars, IMO. They come stock with CS Fat '50s which will sound thin on the bridge pickup if you're used to humbuckers. They have a great vintage tone, which I like.

There's also an H/S/S version, but I don't know what pickups are in it.

For a heavier tone I have an MIM Standard Strat with two Gibson '57 classics. I use a Barber Direct Drive pedal and it's instant '80s hair metal tone.

Larry Mal

I own an American Standard Telecaster. They are what they are supposed to be, good, solid, workman instruments. They are well made and sound good.

Pretty much a no-brainer, if you want to know if you'd like a Stratocaster, buy one of those used. Keep it in similar shape and you can sell it for what you paid for it if you don't like it.

benxiwf

The current American Standard is really great. The deluxes are good too but not as much my cup of tea pickup wise. They are capable of some beefy tones with the s1 but the new American Standards are excellent quality.

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
I've always been a Gibson player, and have tried on several occasions over the last few decades to like Strats. Each one I have bought or built in the past ultimately left me flat. I just bought a used Highway 1, and am seriously digging it as I love the Hwy 1 necks, plus the pickups are fatter sounding but still chime. I installed a SSL-5 in place of its humbucker, and it is a great tone.

My point is I found it hard to find one I could bond with. I suggest you look long and hard for one, be patient, and don't settle for one unless you really like its feel and tone.

Top Bottom