Help me decide on a Collings

levous

I've been given the opportunity to buy a used Collings OM2H cutaway that was basically purchased and then stored for a while. It's flawless and looks brand new - not so much as a scratch. The old strings were tarnished, with age, but she's been cleaned up and restrung. The neck looks straight to me though the action is rather high, making it difficult to play. The sound is pretty much perfect across the entire range. The seller is going to adjust the neck before I see him again. I'm hoping that will remove all doubt as to whether it was harmed by sitting unplayed.

The price is about 10-15% off of the best price I could find new. I didn't find any cutaways used. I found a couple of non-cuts and they had blemishes. If I found a sweat guitar with blemishes, I wouldn't care at all. In fact, its silly to me to place a very high value as I plan to play it, not hang it in a display case, after all.

So...

Should I be jumping at the chance to save some jack or should I be cautious about a deal that's not obscene on a guitar that I can pick up new for a few hundred more? I have no idea what a barely used OM2H should go for. I researching the guitar, the only thing I consistently read is, "you'll never regret that purchase and your grandkids will thank you."

Last edited:

pedalcr8z

Myself I would pay a few hundred more for a new one. I thought I wanted another Collings until I played a Huss & Dalton. H&D only build about 200 guitars a year and will knock your socks immediately whereas the Collings needs a few years of hard playing to break in and not be so stiff. Not my intent to slam Collings in any way, just stating reality.

Paul-A

Collings builds great guitars. They generally come with an action a tad on the high side - it is far easier to adjust the action down than up.

NBlair930

Platinum Supporting Member
For only a few hundred dollars more, I would buy new, if only for the protection of the Warranty. A used guitar typcially depreciates MORE than a few hundred dollars, and in that case, for a significant savings, I would buy used.

DanR

On my most recent trip to Elderly Instruments, the Collings OM2H was the best sounding guitar (IMO, of course) that I played.

I would probably try to buy new if I were concerned about the action of the specific guitar in question. Then you would also get a warranty. I myself don't care for cutaways mainly cuz I don't usually play that high up the fingerboard.

davess23

Gold Supporting Member
Not really sure why anyone who's trying to decide on a Collings would wish to be told to go buy an H&D instead. They're different, and don't generally sound like Collings. I personally don't find them to my taste, whereas Collings guitars are right on the money for me.

I also don't consider it a reality that Collings guitars will take longer to break in than others. It's certainly not real in my experience with them. I've owned three, including two that I bought in the mid-1990's and stll have. I can't say I ever noticed that any of them took longer than usual to break in. Even better, they sounded great right out of the gate.

My advice to this guy is: if you like the Collings sound, buy a Collings. And if you're only saving a couple of hundred by buying used, chances are that you're doing yourself a disservice by restricting your focus to a single guitar rather than the many new ones you can find, check out and decide about. 10-15% off isn't a huge incentive to buy used, without a warrantee. Sounds to me as if the seller is looking to get his entire investment back.

But there's one, and only one, reason why you might legitimately ignore everything I and others have just suggested and go ahead and buy the guitar in question: if you've played it and you love it and that's the one you really, really want.

Best of luck. Very few regrets have ever been associated with owning Collings guitars.

paddywhack

Gold Supporting Member
the price on a new Collings OM2H cutaway is 4140.00...(list 4600)....unless your paying less than 3500 for the pre owned model i'd say go for the new one...the warranty is easily worth the extra cash and the fact that you're helping to keep a premier guitar company in business is an added incentive imho....

gpro34

I've been given the opportunity to buy a used Collings OM2H cutaway that was basically purchased and then stored for a while. It's flawless and looks brand new - not so much as a scratch. The old strings were tarnished, with age, but she's been cleaned up and restrung. The neck looks straight to me though the action is rather high, making it difficult to play. The sound is pretty much perfect across the entire range. The seller is going to adjust the neck before I see him again. I'm hoping that will remove all doubt as to whether it was harmed by sitting unplayed.

The price is about 10-15% off of the best price I could find new. I didn't find any cutaways used. I found a couple of non-cuts and they had blemishes. If I found a sweat guitar with blemishes, I wouldn't care at all. In fact, its silly to me to place a very high value as I plan to play it, not hang it in a display case, after all.

So...

Should I be jumping at the chance to save some jack or should I be cautious about a deal that's not obscene on a guitar that I can pick up new for a few hundred more? I have no idea what a barely used OM2H should go for. I researching the guitar, the only thing I consistently read is, "you'll never regret that purchase and your grandkids will thank you."

Collings will only allow a dealer to discount, maximum ten percent, so if you've found fifteen percent, better snatch that deal as they won't be a dealer for long.

levous

Sound advice, as usual, guru people. I'm going to head down to play some guitars today and wait on this particular guitar to get set up properly. If the action comes down, it'll likely be mine by christmas. Otherwise, there's a good chance ill fall for something else during my adventure or, at the very least, have a clear short list for what I'm gasn for

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
I have owned several Collings instruments, including a D2H shade top, an OM2H, three different mandolins, and a 290 electric. I always hope to fall in love with them, but I never quite get all the way there. I respect them tremendously. They require a more precise touch than some others. They're always perfectly crafted. I just find them slightly cold, if that makes sense. Maybe I need to put in some years with one to get there.

guitarcapo

I'd personally just be wary that there's enough room at the saddle to adjust the action to where you like to play it. Even the best guitars sometimes need neck resets early in life. If the action being high is due to too much relief dialed into the truss rod I wouldn't worry as much as that's an easy fix.

After that, just make sure it's a sound you like because 4 grand is a lifetime purchase. At least in my case.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Collings will only allow a dealer to discount, maximum ten percent, so if you've found fifteen percent, better snatch that deal as they won't be a dealer for long.

That sounds unlikely for a used instrument.

royd

10-15% isn't a huge amount of money... but I'm also one who doesn't think a warranty on an acoustic guitar is worth much either. There just isn't that much to go wrong that falls outside of normal wear and tear. For me, the biggest issue would be the guitar itself... play it and see whether it speaks to you.

Do be aware that with acoustic guitars, the height of the strings has a serious impact on the tone. It will change as the action gets lowered and usually not for the better. That is one reason why many acoustic companies set their from the shop action on the high side.

moj067

Silver Supporting Member
Typically the argument for buying new for the warranty is a very good argument.
Collings makes a very solid product you def. pay for.
I can't say I hear very little about them needing many neck resets and the like.
Their bolt on neck design helps the ease and cost of such an operation if needed.
I think if you can find good used one, jump on it.

NeuroLogic

Note, taking proper care of the guitar is much more important than a warranty. Ie, if you do not properly humidify the warranty will not cover it anyway.

Examples: Use a hygrometer and humidify/dehumidify as needed.
Do not transport in the trunk of a car.
Any time a climate change occurs, keep in the case as long possible, ideally for 4 hours. The slower changes temperature the better.
Avoid putting stress on the neck.
Try to keep it out of direct sunlight, especially when in the case. I put a white towel over the case when driving in the car.

facesfan

For the OP,go with a new one or ask for more discount on this used one if you like it. Don't buy it just because you think it's already a good deal or that you won't find another cutaway,you will,they are out there and it's a good time to buy used Collings as prices are flat.

As in most forums there is a lot of half and un truths in these posts and misinformation.

Collings warranty has served me well on three different occasions. I would rate is as the best I've encountered in forty years of various guitar company purchases.

H&D and any other acoustic take time to break in, Collings is not unusual in that regard. I think H&D's are like a fine high school shop project and Collings are for the more discerning player...ok,I'm a bad flaming boy but that's my opinion on that subject.

As far as Collings sounding cold...I understand but I prefer to say too hi-fi.

Lowering the action does not always make a guitar sound less "better". It may take some volume and punch away but the advantages seem to be a sweeter tone and sustain not to mention a more supple feel. Depends on what you like and your style dictates.

Last edited:

Sprinter

I bought my Collings 001mhsb used and it's been problem free! In my opinion, used is the only way to buy a guitar. With used guitars the original owner takes the initial hit in depreciation and the guitar will be a bit broken in.

Top Bottom